Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Choke Cherry vs. Olds

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choke Cherry vs. Olds

Originally posted by: KGB
I cannot agree with you more quadduck.
I am:
110 miles from Little Saraha Utah
250 miles from St. Anthony
280 miles from Sand Hollow and Coral Pink
500 Miles from Dumont
700 miles from Glamis
1000+ (?) to Oregon (next years trip for SURE)

Showoff!! You are 840 miles from Florence, OR.

I am:

250 miles from St Anthony
550 miles from Little Sahara
740 miles from Florence OR
1100 miles from Glamis
0 miles from Shady's Brewery & Bench Racing compound

Old 01-07-2005, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

Looks like I know now where good place to move is. Hey I want to try out the shady place Anybody else been there?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2005, 05:11 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

HA2,
thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it alot. I have ridden in the snow and its kind of fun. Just not my ideal conditions...lol
I have been watching the weather, and I was not too worried becasue I only had time for the festivities on Sunday. But now I have a bit more time to spare, so I was planing on some duning on Friday/Sat morning. I think unless its monson city I am coming. The wind blows though, and I hope it is not......
Thanks!

Shady,
Only 840 to Oregon huh? I never checked it out. I am doing that next year for sure!
I am telling you UTAH is the place, baby! I did not even tell you how many WORLD class ski/snoboard resorts are within 30 min. of my door, or how many lakes are within 1 hour, or how close Lake Powell is, or about....nevermind, it sucks here, we have nothing to do.

Old 01-07-2005, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Thats the ticket you got to keep it quiet or those californians start to migrate.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: quadduck
Looks like I know now where good place to move is. Hey I want to try out the shady place Anybody else been there?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I gotta put a picture on my photo page of this place...

Old 01-07-2005, 05:37 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: quadduck
Thats the ticket you got to keep it quiet or those californians start to migrate.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
never happen. lol

Old 01-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have been to both Olds and Choke Cherry many times. Riding 250R, Banshee, Raptor, Predator.
Choke Cherry is definitely steeper....because the Choke Cherry bushes on the hill help hold the sand in place at a steeper angle than almost any other hill. But, Oldsmobile is definitely longer, but flatter. It has gotten whooped out at the bottom and made even flatter by millions of wheels over the years.
Choke Cherry is a very tough climb, whereas Olds is quite routine. For example, a stock 400 EX will go right up Olds, but most 400s will not make it up Choke Cherry.
Olds has a good run at the bottom, although the whoops slow you down some. Choke Cherry has very little approach room at the bottom, although that has gotten longer over the years.
Also Choke Cherry has finer softer sand and it is at a much higher elevation, so it is harder to climb for those reasons. Many folks don't rejet at St Anthonys, and that costs performance also.
To me, a more impressive dune at St Anthonys is Devils Dune, down on the far end.
And at Glamais, go to The China Wall (Hill #5), or to the Walls at Patton Valley.
Comp Hill at Dumont is very impressive, so is Comp Hill at Sand Mountain Nev, and Comp Hill at Sand Mountain Utah is also great. Some of the climbs at Winchester Dunes on the Oregon coast will also get your attention!

Old 01-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Pro Rider

You never know after all they don't have the californian sticker there do they?

Old 01-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Don't know about the other miles But
ST.ANTHONY about 4 miles from my door step!!LOL[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2005, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider

Way to rub it in[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Choke Cherry vs. Olds