Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Coos Bay, Winchester Bay or Florence

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coos Bay, Winchester Bay or Florence

Looking at taking a trip up to the Oregon Dunes this spring and was wondering what your guys opinions are on each one. Normally I ride in Pismo, Dumont or Glamis. Thanks for the info!!

Old 12-14-2005, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

To put it quickly, Winchester Bay and Florence are the best places to go. Florence is probably the biggest with lots of varying terrain and has about the same size area for trails as it does open space. Don't expect lots of huge hills at Florence, although there are big ones it's nothing spectacular size wise. Winchester is slightly smaller in area, but has larger hills to climb and is a much more open area, it's not as easy to get lost here. The trails at Winchester arn't very long/extensive or challenging, but they are entertaining. If you goto Winchester I recommend hitting up Banshee hill at least once, it's probably the biggest attraction there, but it's slowly (or quickly however you see it) becomming wore out and widened so it's not as fun as it used to be 5 years ago. I've only been to Coos bay dunes once or twice because Winchester and Florence are so much better and closer to me IMO. Coos bay dunes are much smaller and contain mostly trails. I don't really have much info on them, but you shouldn't overlook going to them if your making the trip up here anyways. Hope this helps.

*I just realized this wasn't as quickly put as I ment it to be lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

I just got back from there for my first trip there. I liked Florence the best.... Great all around riding. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

If ya have the time HIT ALL of them, all 3 places are within 2hr. drive total..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Each place has it's own unique riding areas and I like all 3 places......YA CAN'T GO WRONG AT ANY OF UM....jmho....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Hey and whatever ya do HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

winchester has the best hills...

Old 12-24-2005, 01:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Do you have a balloon?

Originally posted by: Bigdaddy660R
If ya have the time HIT ALL of them, all 3 places are within 2hr. drive total..........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Each place has it's own unique riding areas and I like all 3 places......YA CAN'T GO WRONG AT ANY OF UM....jmho....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Hey and whatever ya do HAVE FUN !!!!!!!!!!
Well said, Daddy.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-25-2005, 09:54 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We made our first trip up there this summer. Great place! It is a whole different world from desert duning. While there are some open dunes (small by Glamis or Dumont standards), there are also hundreds of single track sand TRAILS in and out of the woods (yes, a good part of the dunes are wooded).

I just love the trails, seeing that there just aren't that many opportunities for woods trail riding here in So. Calif. Frankly, I can take about one day at Glamis, then I am bored.......same old ride over and over again. Never get tired of trail riding though!

Old 01-05-2006, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Florence is my personal fav!! Coos bay is cool but only for the day trips

Old 01-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Range Rover

I have been to Oregon Dunes about twenty times for about a week each time.
My personal favorite is Winchester, but I like all three areas.
Try to hit all three if you can.

If you are camping off the dunes or in town, you have to haul in anyway.
Winchester is in the middle with Florence about twenty miles north and Coos about twenty miles south.
If you are camping in one of the areas with direct dune access, then it is not as convenient for you to haul to the other two. A lot depends on your towing, hauling, and camping equipment.

It's not as extensive riding area as Glamis, but still great fun. You have to explore every corner to enjoy it all. Many in our group prefer it over Glamis. To me it is a toss-up.

Be ready to drop to 95 dbs if they are out checking. Riding double is still legal. Be sure to wear a helmet even tho they are not required....I have seen two people killed there not wearing helmets.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

My family is moving up there this summer so mabey I'll see some of you around.

Quick Reply: Coos Bay, Winchester Bay or Florence