Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Old 01-12-2019, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two .45s. My other one is a Colt 1911A1 Series 80 Government Model. Its never been fired and I doubt that I ever will.
Up until recently I had a Glock M36 Gen 4 .45 that I gave to a close friend.
My M&P .45 is a fun gun to shoot. In fact I killed another rock with it today.
My favorite handguns are .357s. I have a very nice one that was hand built in the S&W Performance Center back in 2000 and only 100 of them were made. Its a pre-lock 8-round and is a beautiful gun. It was a custom order by Banges Inc. Other than the test round its never been fired either.
I recently acquired two S&W .41 Mags. A model 57 with a 6" barrel and a model 58.
I chose a DSA FN FAL over the AR-15.

I don't have a lot of guns. Just a few that I really like. I really don't see any being added to my small collection. I'm happy with the ones I have.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:25 AM
THE BERMINATOR

I never saw the point of the .41 Magnum. The guns are almost always the same size as .44 Magnums but with lighter bullets and less power. There's nothing I know of that the .41 can do that the .44 can't do just as well if not better. Making it with a bullet just 0.019" smaller than the .44 Magnum with less powder capacity and limited bullet weights available doesn't make it any better. It just makes it an oddball that most places won't have ammo for sitting on the the shelves. Also, I like being able to shoot .38 Special in a .357 Magnum and .44 Special in a .44 Magnum. Where's the (non-wildcat) .41 Special ammo? Until I just gave it away I had 165 grain .44 Special ammo and I have 320 grain .44 Magnum ammo, not quite double the bullet weight, and several loads with weights and power in between those. That's a 155 grain difference in weight and a huge difference in power, but with a .41 Magnum most of the ammo will be in the range of 210-240 grains, just a 30 grain difference in weight, and most with about the same amount of energy and recoil. They're nice looking guns but I'd rather have the more versatile model 29 that the model 57 is based on and identical except for caliber.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

The .41 Mag was intended for law enforcement. More than a .357 but not as much as a .44 Mag.
The model 58 has fixed sights and only comes with a 4" barrel. It was a "stripped down" model 57 that made it more affordable for LEOs.

Here's my 29-2 with a 4" barrel. It too has never been fired outside of the factory. Its going up for sale.
S&W shipped it to Italy to be hand engraved before selling it to the public.

I also have a 6" 29-2 that's going up for sale too. Its the same model the famous "Dirty Harry" carried.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

I went for another ride yesterday. This time up Sevier Canyon.
I think these burned trees look cool.

Somehow I managed to get stuck.

But not as bad as this guy. There were tire tracks left by someone with tire chains and they turned around right here.
Not sure if they just came up to get this guy or what because there was no sign of them trying to get him out.

The new tires are awesome.

I almost made it till the rear sunk.

Winching it only sucked it in worse. :bash:

So I called in reinforcements.

It took some digging and a couple of good tugs to get it out. It was in there pretty good.

And then we had to come back up what we went down.

Glad we were out there. We helped dig and pull out this F-150. All they had was one tiny shovel.
With some digging, sagebrush under the tires, 5 people pushing and 4-5 good hard jerks with the ATV and we got them out.

My rescuers. Thanks Geof and Jack.

A full tank of gas only took me 28 miles. That's a very impressive 5.66 mpg.

I got home later than I had planned. Rode it hard and put it away wet.

Old 01-13-2019, 05:41 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I like the pics and videos. End of line. I hope that truck isn't stuck there until the spring thaw. It still looks funny seeing places you have enough snow to get stuck when we don't have a single flake on the ground here. Maybe global warming is real. I'll see if we can send some your way.

That Model 29 sure is pretty. It looks too good to shoot. S&W couldn't make them fast enough for years after Dirty Harry came out.

The .41 Magnum was supposed to be something bigger and more powerful than .357 Magnum for law enforcement. But Remington didn't listen to the guys who came up with the idea for it. They loaded it up so close to their .44 Magnum that it was too much for the police to handle. Since the .44 is actually only .429, if they wanted something halfway between .35 and .42 they should have made a .39 instead of a .41. To be more precise, .393 is exactly halfway between .357 and .429. In my opinion .41 is so close to .42 it's stupid. It shouldn't even exist. But as someone I know likes to say, opinions vary.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

Never had any interest in them until I did a little reading and knew I could pick up one of each.
The model 58 with the 4" barrel is the hardest to come by.

I'll shoot them a bit, clean them up and put them in the safe. Then one day they will belong to my daughters.

I did get my ATV cleaned back up today and ready for another adventure.

Old 01-13-2019, 09:32 PM
THE BERMINATOR

You watered your horse and put it back in the barn. I think I washed mine in 2015 or 2016 but maybe not. I don't go mudding with it so it doesn't get very dirty. When it gets a layer of dust on it I wait until the rain washes it off, then after it's dry I put the cover on.

Those guns will be worth even more by the time your daughters get them. Cha-ching! I imagine they would hold on to them.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:50 AM
Pro Rider

I wash mine nearly every time I ride it. I just hose it off and dry it with a towel. There really isn't any mud here like there is in other area's of the country. I really don't care for mud at all. Especially when it comes to washing it off.
That's the big reason I don't care for aftermarket wheels. With the offset they flip mud all over everything. I was way happy to get this set of OE wheels for my winter tires.

They'll hang on to them. I don't give people things with strings attached so they would be more than welcome to sell them. I only have two grandsons that have any interest in guns. Thge other grandkids just might want something that was mine.

This S&W Schofield was shipped July 12, 1875 to the US Gov. Nat'l Armory and that engraved 29-2 are probably the most valuable guns I have money wise. The engraving adds about $1900 to the value of the gun.
The Schofield is going up for sale too.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:48 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I've never seen an original Schofield IRL. If I lived closer I would ask to see it. I toyed with the idea of getting a new one in .45 Colt, but wouldn't get much use out of it. I don't generally buy any expensive or collectible guns but made an exception for the PPK.

ETA: You can shoot .45 Schofield ammo in the .45 Colt revolvers but not the other way around.

New Schofields in .38 Special, .44-40, and .45 Colt made by Uberti here. --> https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand...schofield.html

Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 PM
Pro Rider

According the S&W its been re-blued at some point in its life and someone shellacked the grips. The grips, or stocks as S&W calls them are the original ones to the gun.

It is shootable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah