General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Thumb or twistgrip throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 03:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thumb or twistgrip throttle

Anyone know why ATV's use thumb throttles? I find my thumb gets achy after a time.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is hard to regulate the throttle with a twist. Every time one front wheel hits an object and jerks that way can make you inadvertently give more throttle. I don't mind a twist on mild mannered quads(like a 250EX) but anything with some power forget it. There are a lot of people out there using twists though. You could always try one out for yourself. Just be careful! After a couple of "near death" experiences on a Banshee with a twist, I said never again.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

Thumb throttle is better,you get used to it after a while!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beart0y
Anyone know why ATV's use thumb throttles? I find my thumb gets achy after a time.
The simple answer is that on an ATV, the machine does not lean in turns, the rider does.

On a bike, the machine leans WITH your body, so your wrist/elbow angle can stay the same. So a twisty is not a problem.

On an ATV, the rider leans, and hangs onto the bars...but the machine stays flat and level.....Your wrist/elbow angle has to change in order to accommodate the fact that YOU are leaning, but the machine is NOT. So it is very hard to hang onto the bars, and still be in total control of the twist throttle. Thus the thumb throttle was born.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

Cabelas sell a thumb throtle extension that is easy to attach and it can be depressed by the palm if your thumb gets tired. I plan on getting one. They are inexpensive.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

it depends on the atv/atc you have a twist throttle on. Like a 250ex like said before would be good as you can handle the power however you hit the gas. Now I have a twist throttle on my 86 tecate 3 and let me tell you its just plain nuts. It is stock or I wouldn't have it on there. You don't want to hit the gas just wrong on a 2 stroke especially a tecate. Will put you on you **** before you know it. Believe me I have done so. 3wheeler+2stroke+twist throttle = death trap

Old 10-08-2009, 06:50 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by ss97
The simple answer is that on an ATV, the machine does not lean in turns, the rider does.

On a bike, the machine leans WITH your body, so your wrist/elbow angle can stay the same. So a twisty is not a problem.

On an ATV, the rider leans, and hangs onto the bars...but the machine stays flat and level.....Your wrist/elbow angle has to change in order to accommodate the fact that YOU are leaning, but the machine is NOT. So it is very hard to hang onto the bars, and still be in total control of the twist throttle. Thus the thumb throttle was born.
id second this.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:00 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Also a thumb throttle does not freeze up in winter and many ATV are snow riden.

Every time one front wheel hits an object and jerks that way can make you inadvertently give more throttle
trial bikes use twist throttle and the hop from Rock to Rock like a mountain goat. Riding don't get slower and more technical then that .