General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Winch Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winch Questions

Hi All!

I have a few winch questions I was hoping someone could help with.

First off, what size winch is the minimum acceptable for a 650 pound quad? I don't plan to do a bunch of mudding, the only time I would do that would be if I had to get accross something. So hopefully it would not need to be used too often!

Obviously, everyone has heard of Warn, but are there any other good winch manufacturers that aren't as expensive? I am OK with a lesser warranty for a lot lesser price!! Anyone to stay away from?

Cabela's has a Super Winch LT 2000 for less than $100. Is there something wrong with this winch?

Thanks!!

Old 10-26-2009, 05:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would get 2,500 lb winch. warn is the best. you could look at gorilla which is a copycat of the warn and a pretty good winch for alot cheaper price. check out ebay as they go for real cheap prices. make sure you get a mounting plate that fits your bike and not a one fits all plate. easier to install when it's made for your frame. imo.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Warn is a great winch. Superwinch is also a top name. Friend has one of Cabelas on his quad and it has worked well. His is a 2500 lb. rated winch though. We have Warns on our quads and they are tough to beat.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys! I have been looking at the Gorilla/Promark. I'm not sure I can go for a Warn just yet. I know it is probably a 'buy once' item if I buy the Warn, but I may have to set my sights (and my budget) a little lower for now...

I definitely want to get a bike specific mounting plate! I am all about easy installs! Do most decent mounts come with a spot to mount the fairlead or do I need to buy a separate mounting plate?

Thanks!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have been hearing good things about the Viper Max and Elite series winches from Moto Alliance - ATV Winch - ATV Accessories - Viper Winch

I have no affiliation with them - just passing on the info that I have researched while looking for a winch myself.

For what it's worth, the owner frequents the forums over at the highlifter.com. They are very customer focused and rest assured that their winch will be my next unit.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TheModfather
I have been hearing good things about the Viper Max and Elite series winches from Moto Alliance

I have no affiliation with them - just passing on the info that I have researched while looking for a winch myself.

For what it's worth, the owner frequents the forums over at the highlifter.com. They are very customer focused and rest assured that their winch will be my next unit.
Oh the winch I'm going to get for my Prairie 700 is the Viper Max 4000lb unit.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have a polaris trailblazer 250. i mounted a 2000lb winch that we got at a pawn shop for $80. i have had to pull it out of some crazy stuff and it doesnt even get warm to the touch. great winch so far. i do have a pretty light atv though

Old 11-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

Go Gorilla/Promark.
I have a Gorilla 2500# one on myKQ400 and a Gorilla 1500# on my Predator 500.
Yes, Warn is a well known winch. I had planned on purchasing one for my KQ400--until I read the box at the dealership, and found that the Warn winch was made in China, just like the Gorilla/Promark.
Save your $$, and go with the Promark. Buy it off E-Bay--the ebay prices are less than the Promark website prices.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Range Rover

i have #3000 gorilla on my Kawasaki bayou KLF300 4x4 and love it. And cheaper then a warn or superwinch....

Old 11-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys! The more I look at them, the more I lean toward the Gorilla/Promark.

Next question, do most mounts have a mounting spot for the fairlead?

Quick Reply: Winch Questions