General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Grilling - ATV STYLE

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grilling - ATV STYLE

Does anyone carry a portable grill with them on their atv? I've been thinking about picking a cheap one up from wally world. We usually start a fire and cook hotdogs on the side of the trail. However I thought it would be nice to have a portable propane type in the bag. Anyone else carry one or thought of it? Any recommendations if so.....

Old 04-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Range Rover

Hey! I'm sure carrying a can of propane on rocky trails is perfectly safe, I don't know if I want it on MY quad, but... Just kidding there. Look, you can easily keep the weight off and improv the grill in a little pit. Carry a bot of firelighters and and a few small handfulls of char-wood. That will get you going in as little as 15 minutes depending on the weather. You can put dead wood off the trails on the ignited char-wood to save weight and bulk. All you need is a cheap grid. There a thousand ways to rig it, I'de use large skewers, the round tops bent around the four corners of the grid. That way you can push them down into the fire pit to make it level (ish). Carry a XXXL ziploc and put the cool grid rig and tongs in it to keep the grease from messing up anything. We use those bags for camp for our daughter's stuff and they make a full summer so don't freak when you see that you get, like, 5 for $6.00+. If I can't get firelighters at a local store I order them from hastybake.com (1-800-4-an-oven). Spend some time on the Hasybake web-site while you are at it. I have had my no frills but real big model for 14 years. NOTHING better. But that's a different discussion. Oh, and don't trust the strikers on the box. Make sure you have a lighter or matches to light the firestarter.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I sometimes bring a backpack stove with a cylinder of camp stove fuel. Takes up about the room a 1 liter bottle of soda would. Mainly for soup, coffee, or hot chocolate when it's cold. Friend has a similar thing and brought a big pot of chicken and stuffing. We had a great meal.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Range Rover

How wonld one of the small propane grills with the screw on bottles work? You could even fix it to hook in a reciever hitch and wouldn't have to carry it on your racks. Mount it at the right height to make grilling comfortable and also if any grease drips it won't get on your atv. Just a few wild thoughts.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

arctic cat had the setup for their speed rack with a Coleman stove on the front of the atv. you could cook right there and was out of the way for other storage on the racks. nice little set up.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Sisco1957
How wonld one of the small propane grills with the screw on bottles work? You could even fix it to hook in a reciever hitch and wouldn't have to carry it on your racks. Mount it at the right height to make grilling comfortable and also if any grease drips it won't get on your atv. Just a few wild thoughts.
That's what we bring. This kind of setup. Not on the hitch though. It takes a bit to heat a big pot but is worth the time when it's 20 degrees out. I usually set it up in the bed of my X2. Takes about a minute to set up.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
That's what we bring. This kind of setup. Not on the hitch though. It takes a bit to heat a big pot but is worth the time when it's 20 degrees out. I usually set it up in the bed of my X2. Takes about a minute to set up.
moose - do you guys use one with a piezo ignitor and how does it hold up from the bouncing around? Also, does the greese after cooking make a mess in your storage? Any advice how you store it while riding would be great!!! Thanks for all the help guys!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Trailblazer

Redneck style. A little S. IL cookout.
Name:  100_3011.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  223.7 KB

Name:  100_3012.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  156.1 KB

Those are some little venison "whiteys" (aka White Castles).

Old 04-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Originally Posted by Mr. Fancy Pants
moose - do you guys use one with a piezo ignitor and how does it hold up from the bouncing around? Also, does the greese after cooking make a mess in your storage? Any advice how you store it while riding would be great!!! Thanks for all the help guys!
Nope, they are backpack stoves that fold up and fit in a small bag for carrying. Just have to let it cool down for a couple minutes. Mine is something like this: MSR WhisperLite Shaker Jet Backpacking Stove at REI.com So, you only have the bottle of butane or propane and the stove. Altogether about the size of 2 quart bottle or less. I usually use a pot or pan and that's all that needs to be cleaned up other than utensils. Heat water in the pot, add a little dish soap, clean, and rinse. Either that or put things that are dirty in a plastic bag for cleaning later. Forgot to add, mine is lit with a match or lighter.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

We use a Weber Q100 gas grill, they are spendy but cook like the big gas webers. We typically leave it in the truck or at the campsite but it has an available bag and can be strapped to the rack. It isn't as compact as the setup Moose uses.

Quick Reply: Grilling - ATV STYLE