General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

HELP! Quad for my 7 year old daughter

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010 | 07:53 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default HELP! Quad for my 7 year old daughter

Hey guys! I need a quad for my samll to average sized (about 47" tall and slender) 7 year old daughter.

She loves the Suzuki LT50, but am seeing more and more that she'll outgrow it quickly. The dealership also has a Raptor 90 but it almost seems a bit big. She CAN put her feet flat on the footrests on the Raptor. I just worry about it being heavy for her.

She'll ALWAYS have supervision and the speed governed for a long time, so would I be better off getting her a 90?

Old 04-05-2010 | 09:13 PM
Trailblazer

I started my 3 boys out on 50cc Yamaha Raptors. I bought them, had 2, used. They are not easy to find used, but are out there. The nice aspect being, when she is ready to move up, you can sell the 50 outright, or may get a good trade. One of the two we had was ridden hard, and I had a dealer show me a grand for it on a trade for a nice used Rap 80, which he was only asking $1,600 for.

Good luck

Old 04-05-2010 | 09:18 PM
|
Trailblazer

I haven't seen any used around here. I like th Raptor 90 but still think it's a bit big.

I am calling the local Can-Am dealer tomorrow about a DS 70.

Old 04-06-2010 | 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Orion6
Hey guys! I need a quad for my samll to average sized (about 47" tall and slender) 7 year old daughter.

She loves the Suzuki LT50, but am seeing more and more that she'll outgrow it quickly. The dealership also has a Raptor 90 but it almost seems a bit big. She CAN put her feet flat on the footrests on the Raptor. I just worry about it being heavy for her.

She'll ALWAYS have supervision and the speed governed for a long time, so would I be better off getting her a 90?
Im for erroring on the side of safety but I think your likely wasting your time buying a 50cc machine.

I would stick with a 70, 80 or 90 cc machine. I believe all the new quads are 90cc except the Can Am. If she likes the LT50 have you considered an LT80? I think they stopped making them in 2005 or so.....but a good used one shouldnt be hard to find.

Limit the throttle......maybe add some wheel spacers to make it wider.....dont see why you would have a problem with it.

Old 04-06-2010 | 08:50 PM
|
Trailblazer

Well, I bought my daughter a new 70cc E-Ton Viper 2 Stroke (leftover crated from my local dealer) for a real good price. Bike starts right up, idles and runs great (well, with the rev limiter on until she gains experience).

My noob question is this - should I see a good bit of smoke from the exhaust? I have had several 4 stroke ATVs so I'm fairly new to the 2 smokers. Should it be a concern?

This ATV was unpacked and prepped today, so it hasn't been sitting with gas, oil, etc. in it. Everything's fresh.

Old 04-06-2010 | 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I bought my daughter a new 70cc E-Ton Viper 2 Stroke (leftover crated from my local dealer) for a real good price. Bike starts right up, idles and runs great (well, with the rev limiter on until she gains experience).

My noob question is this - should I see a good bit of smoke from the exhaust? I have had several 4 stroke ATVs so I'm fairly new to the 2 smokers. Should it be a concern?

This ATV was unpacked and prepped today, so it hasn't been sitting with gas, oil, etc. in it. Everything's fresh.
Yes you should see smoke.....thats standard for a 2 stroke. Thats why they call them 2 smokers.....the oil getting mixed with the gas is getting burnt and coming out of the exhaust. Worry if you dont see smoke.

Old 04-07-2010 | 05:13 AM
|
Trailblazer

I understand that - it's just where is the line between the right amount and too much?

Thanks for the reply!

Old 04-07-2010 | 05:26 AM
Pro Rider

I understand that - it's just where is the line between the right amount and too much?

Thanks for the reply!
Id say the easiest way is to pull the plug and look at it....if its not fouling the plug with oil Id say its right. My son rides a Suzuki LT80 2 stroke. I replace the plug once a year as a precaution....its yet to foul a plug.