General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Ultimate trail fix-all?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how does jb weld work? does it harden or something?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:40 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by kevin773
how does jb weld work? does it harden or something?
its a very hard epoxy, you can actually drill it with a drillbit once its hardened, its as hard as steel once it cures, and depending on what type you get, it'll withstand up to 300 degrese or more, and it cures fairly quickly(depending on which one you get), the longer the cure, the higher the temp it'll take though to my knowledge.
I just used some to fix my engine casing on my warrior, but still need to get more on, didn't cover the whole area(found out when i took it for a spin and seen some oil coming out still, should patch it up after this time though). i know the stuff works, i know people that've used it on car engines and it held for YEARS...

Old 10-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer

Zip Ties are amazing. Duct Tape is good too. When I go on long rides I leave the tools at home and bring a few rolls of Duct Tape and a big bag of Zip Ties all sizes. LOL No really I bring Zip Ties and a set of tools.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Nice! I like zip ties personally, but I will have to try that Jb weld stuff, sounds pretty awesome!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Besides duct tape and zip ties, I found a few good uses for black iron wire that they use for tieing rebar. You can twist it a lot more than other wire before it breaks. One of my friends used it to hold an a arm together. If I have broken plastic I use pop rivets and pipe strap (after I get home) instead of just taping it.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

neither- although I do carry some 3' x 1/2" zip ties in my tool kit (got them from a utility company.)
The best thing to have is a small spool of 16ga steel wire-
I'm not a big fan of duct tape- I hate scraping off the glue and I dont trust it in moist / oily conditions.

I always thought jb weld took at least 24 hours to fully cure- that's no quick fix!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Haha! I have indeed used wire before... We were in teh dunes and I snapped my flag off withing a few hours of getting there. I think we added several pounds to my raptor just with the duct tape and wire that we used to get it to stay back on!

Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by beergut
neither- although I do carry some 3' x 1/2" zip ties in my tool kit (got them from a utility company.)
The best thing to have is a small spool of 16ga steel wire-
I'm not a big fan of duct tape- I hate scraping off the glue and I dont trust it in moist / oily conditions.

I always thought jb weld took at least 24 hours to fully cure- that's no quick fix!
different degrese of jb weld available, the best ones do take longer, but like i said, there are 5 minute "marine use" jb welds available u can use on metals and such and it does a pretty good job of holding a seal till u can permanently fix it

Old 11-05-2010, 08:58 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Ever do a quick fix on the trail to get someone back home,then next ride out the quick fix is still there because they decided it was a permanent fix?

Old 11-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

no question zip ties. they come in different size, and can be formed to do about anything

Quick Reply: Ultimate trail fix-all?