General RUV / UTV Discussion Discussions about Gators, Mules, Rangers, Rhinos and other off-road recreational vehicles.

anyone driven a Sand Spider 650?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 11:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone driven a Sand Spider 650?

I have a 05 twister 150 Silver edtion, it is fun for my wife and kids but does not replace my quad.
Has anyone experienced the new 650 yet, before I waste or invest $8 grand on one. ?

Paul

Old 07-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Old 09-21-2005, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

I don't own one. But I have been in, and driven one, quite a bit. While they are not high powered, they do perform quite well. Suspension wise anyway. They're well worth the $8K they're priced at.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the sand spider 650. I love it. Its great for all riding because of the width so it can go on most all the quad trails. In the dunes it could defedently use paddles and some more power. for the little rolling dunes though its great and you can just have a blast. the buggy comes with all chinese parts so we changed all of those to american so you don't have to worry. If you get one, check the oil filter BEFORE you start it because most of them are loose. anyways the buggy is great and i would greatly recomend one.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

if you have anyquestions on what i think you kcan e-mail me at crzysob47@yahoo.com

Old 12-17-2006, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

i got to drive/ride in one extensively near honolulu hills, taft, ca. I was checking them out, as well as the rhino, ranger, prowler etc.

i wasn't impressed with the joyner. geared waaaaay to low. I was in 4th gear all the time. the power seemed iffy, for an 800cc motor (geo metro chinese copy)

the susp sucked bad, and ergonomics, at least for me, were the greatest.

i went ahead and bought a polaris ranger, but that is just me.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: crzysob47
I have the sand spider 650. I love it. Its great for all riding because of the width so it can go on most all the quad trails. In the dunes it could defedently use paddles and some more power. for the little rolling dunes though its great and you can just have a blast. the buggy comes with all chinese parts so we changed all of those to american so you don't have to worry. If you get one, check the oil filter BEFORE you start it because most of them are loose. anyways the buggy is great and i would greatly recomend one.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
I didn't know these even existed!!!!

Well, not until I saw one listed in a local publication I've been searching for used ATV's.

Boy... I am all about one of these... and for many many years there I wished someone would make an affordable factory ride like this.

I rode a couple of custom fabricated 'trail-rails' when I was much younger. A friend of mine had MONEY and family with talent. I was lucky enough to have them behind me for racing.... they were my race crew and race shop... built my race quads and bikes... and gave me what I needed to get out there and RIP!!!

I was just a kid who couldn't ask for more considering all they did for me, and I didn't have the money to have them fab me one too... as much as I wanted one after driving them.

They did the frame rails and cage, put in a race seat w/harness, put in an engine and manual tranny, long travel suspension, baja lights, and covered the bodies in stainless sheet metal (I think it was stainless because there was no paint). Some were 500cc 2 strokes, some were big-bore 4 strokes, some were two seater, some were singles.... and they looked alot like Baja buggies of that era.

But all of them literally RIPPED for mini buggies, handled unreal and soaked up the trails and big air like it was nothing. Out in the woods they would shame even converted VW buggies... and they were small enough to run with quads and dirtbikes. They were an absolute gas to ride on the old washed out logging/timber roads that run all over the mountains of North Carolina.

Many times since I have wished I had my own little backyard shop to fab my own.
Looks like I can buy a factory rail (probably a lot tamer but who cares).

I'd like to see one set up with the stuff out back mounted low in the frame, with a bullet cage around the rear and 3rd "rumble seat". Something just for my 8 year old to piggy-back in really safely right behind me and mom... until she's old enough for a small on of her own.

Since she's way shorter, she would be sitting even 'head level' with us and right in the middle where she could see all the (mild) action.

That would just be perfect for me....

Old 01-17-2007, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

The sand spider 650 has pretty good suspension. It needs a lot more power though. I am hoping the turbo will give it enough power to ride bigger dunes and have that extra umph. The width is the biggest part that makes it great for atv trails or woods riding.