Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rincon stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 02:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rincon stalling problem

I also have a rincon and live at high altitude. Please e mail me and tell me what number of jet you put in your rincon. I tried mine up a hill when I got it and it stalled out and supttered out came over end over end on me. I really wish I could do more with my BIG 650. My e mail is jeremy@peakswireless.com please help. Also interested in the pipe you got for the rincon. And how much it helped.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Range Rover

according to the service manual, high altitude adjustment is only required on the pilot jet. i have had this mid throttle stutter mentioned but only at high alt. (above 5000') and going up hillls. this weekend i will be going up again, and will adjust the pilot jet and see how it works out.

one thing i have also notice. make sure your filter is clean and try taking the lid off the airbox and see if this helps get rid of the stalling. so long as your not in water riding when you do this you should be fine.

Old 08-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

hi there i did have some of those problems but i talked to someone else that changed the intake and now it it like a new bike i really mean it . mine would stall and die when i hit any type of water or even mud it would also stall under heavy load when you let go of the gas . the solution is to move the air intake to the out side of the bike.Mark the guy that showed me what to do invited me to go riding with them, the easiest way to see if this is your problem is to find a good deep water hole or mud hole and drive through it your bike should sutter, then take your seat off and try it again it will have no problems going through it. the water or mud hitting the rad,engine turns into vapour and steam and goes right into the the intake and then kills the engine. I'm sure mark has a web site that shows the pictures how to do this it's really easy and looks good . check hilifters forms for the same thing it might be there if not let me know. it really makes a difference.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm having the same problem with my Rubicon. I just purchased a 2003 Rubicon and I'm having problems with it stalling a lot when under a load. Got hung up in some mud, tires spinning, not moving....let off throttle to change direction and the machine stalled every time. Brought it back to dealer for 3rd time and they are baffled! They called Honda and they never heard of this happening. It's to a point now that I know what will make it stall out. Hitting throttle going up an incline, or in water, or mud, then letting go of throttle will make it stall every time (cold or warm). Idle is right at spec - 1,400 rpm's. If I hold both brake levers and hit throttle for a bit then let if off, the machine will stall out almost every time.

Different transmissions in Rubicon and Rincon; not sure if that may be the issue.

I don't want to think about where I can go or not go because of the machine stalling out.

Thanks.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

MY 07 RINCON STALLS UNDER WATER TO, BUT MINE IS FUEL INJECTED, WE ARE OBVIOUSLY HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. I DONT THINK IT IS THE JETTS ON YOURS. THERE HAS TO BE A SENSOR OR SOMETHING IN THE EXHAUST THAT DETECTS WATERS AND SHUT DOWN TO PROTECT THE ENGINE. IM STILL TRYING TO FIGURE MINE OUT. LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND SOMETHING

Old 03-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Boy, you went back along way to find this thread. Youd have alot more luck getting responses if you start a new thread.
Has the spark plug boot been lubed good with dieletric grease?

Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

hello this is 2003 vmax hope this helps all of you rincon fellows with the stall problem on hills. My brother in laws 2003 rincon stall problem was the angle sencer was bad . but mine stalls sometimes when you just simply are idling and barely touch the throttle it just dies. cvan you help me do theyu offer a aftermarket carb? mine does not stall on hills or when going through water!

Old 05-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default stalling

Not sure if the rincon is carb or efi but this is some info I found for my 400 auto

when under a heavy load, such as hill climbing, the problem is the idle mixture. An overly lean idle is required to meet EPA standards, and so they are set lean at the factory. A small adjustment to the A/F screw (pilot screw) will fix it.

Shown is the carb left side, with engine side cover, lower panel and upper side panel removed. This is for reference, as you can see the cylinder and frame in this pic.

LOOK AT CARB 1 PIC

Here is a closer view of the carb, with detail 1 (white) showing the screw that needs adjusting. Detail 2 (black) shows a reference mark indicating where the slot in the screw was originally, made with a fine tip permanent marker, which will save some hassles in the future. On mine it looks as if the slot lines up with the reference mark, but it is actually 1 1/2 turns CCW from it. My mark is on the screw's other side, so it can be returned to factory setting easily if required.

LOOK AT CARB 2 PIC

A CCW turn of 1/8 to 1/4 should correct the problem, but each machine is individual on this and some might take more or less. There are carb tuning tools available to make this job easier, but since the amount of adjustment is small, a 1/8" slotted cheapo screwdriver heated to red and bent 90 degrees 1/2 inch from the tip will do for most people. A small straight screwdriver can be used in the horizontal position even.

Some experimentation may be required to find the sweet spot of the idle mixture, but when you find it, stalling will be gone and the engine will idle smoother and run cooler at idle. I have seen a few that actually had to be leaned out a bit to hit the sweet spot, but I think the owners had been playing.

Hope this may help some of you.

Also on the carb bikes that are stalling out in water

MY 400 Auto will stall out in water about up to the foot pegs. Will not do it if you just fly through it. But like when crossing a small stream or mud hole. Someone told me it but i could not beleive it was causing it. There is a little rubber hose coming from the bottom of the carb. It is a vent for the fuel bowl. If you take the carb apart you will see what I am talking about. But the fix is super easy. My hose was hanging a little below the foot pegs and when it hit water it would create a vacuume in the line and stop the fuel. The fix is to route the hose up into the body next to air cleaner box. I can now go as deep as the intake and no more stalling.
I always thought that was just a drain hose for the carb and It is but It serves 2 functions, Drain and pressure relief
What I did was cut the tube about mid point and put a Tee in the line put the cut off tube back on the bottom of the tee and ran another piece of hose off the tee back up higher allowing the carb to release the pressure and continue running and still be able to drain the carb if the bowl fills with excess gas.

Attached Thumbnails rincon stalling problem-carb1.jpg   rincon stalling problem-carb2.jpg  
Old 05-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

On the 650 carb machines a little bump in idle mixture, as noted above, might help.

A borderline fouled spark plug can also cause the engine to stall when you get off the throttle.

I'd also test the bank angle sensor.

On the EFI 680's the IAC has been known to gum up. Usually shows up in cold weather with the machine idling really fast. I suppose if it were stiff and sluggish, it might cause stalling when you chop off the throttle. Wouldn't hurt to remove it and spray it off with some carb cleaner.