Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rubicon not shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003 | 09:56 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default rubicon not shifting gears

vampire-Honda built its reputation for being 100% reliable on the backs of the old bikes like the 300!!, 400, and 450. Only one still left in the lineup is the 450. I have speculated about this before, but the 400 was discontinied this year and I will be surprised if we don't see the 450 gone within a couple of years. It just doesn't fit with Hondas new game plan. They did upgrade it with the TraxLoc and new front diff, but it is the only bike left with an old (tall) wet sump engine and the suspension is more ute than sport/ute (and that manual trans).

I am in the market for another 4X4. The bike I would really like to see is a Rancher 400 with a manual trans. (and therefore lighter than the AT). I think Honda TOTALLY bought into the sport/ute philosophy. But, nature tells us a true sport/ute just isn't possible.

Old 08-23-2003 | 05:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default rubicon not shifting gears

Nifkin:
Sorry to here about all the grief you have had with your Rubicon, we all like to ride rather than fix.
About your comment saying the 4x4 market sucks: I don't think we've ever enjoyed so many choices. When Honda built it's first 4x4 a few years back I think it was the only 4x4 on the market. Now every manufacturer builds several models.

I know this is Honda territory, but have you ever considered a Polaris Sportsman? Before the Honda fans get too excited, just hear me out. I have always been a Honda man and still have a Honda mower and Honda generator. I also just bought a new Honda CR-V. Honda builds darn good products.

But...Last year when it was time for a new quad I was disappointed that Honda didn't have the suspension, power, or ground clearance I was looking for in a utility machine. I checked out everything on the market and found the Polaris Sportsman was an attractive package so I took a chance. Glad I did. Polaris quality/reliability has vastly improved over the years and they are gaining a better reputation as a result. After 1600 miles I am very impressed. I ride it hard in some nasty places and it has never failed me. It's not as refined as a Honda, but that's a small price to pay for the outstanding off-road performance.

For those of you that feel threatened by Polaris, please save your breath. I'm not interested in brand bashing. Thanks