Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Is the Rincon Really that Under Powered?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003 | 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Is the Rincon Really that Under Powered?

This is what you do, take a 2 ton trailer, hook it up to all the top dog quads from each manufacturer. Mark out 300 feet and time each quad. You will see that the rincon will be dead last. Its not a bad thing, who in the hell would tow 2 tons. The point is, what we all commonly do on our quads the Rincon, Grizzly, etc are all enough, except for the most extreme situations. Going through a mud hole has lots of variations, like tires, are in mud pit, ruts, rider skill, time of day, temperature, etc. So to say one rincon did not make it through and meaning all rincons will not make it through is not true. Its just bad luck that he hit some thick mud or maybe he had some carb problems that he doesn't know about and thus less power.

So everyone stop argueing about how the power is so bad on the Rincon, it might not have the snack snapping power of the Praire but for what we all do with quads its more than enough and thats what counts, it allows us to do things that we want to with our quads.

Old 11-13-2003 | 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Stop listening to all the crap that brand bais riders are telling you. When I was in the market for an atv I read these types of fourms and found that you only hear the the bad stuff for the most part and brand bashing. I stoped reading into them so much. The best thing to do is clear your mind of what you want right now and got out shopping around and find out what you need and what is the best bang for the buck. And test ride, Not gust behind the shop but get the dealer to let you take it for a good run (1/2 hour at least) just don't beat it up. For me it come down to the sale that the dealer was offering and the type of service and attidude i got from them. I did not get the bike that I orriginally wanted but found one that suits me just fine.
I finally got the Suzuki Vinson and I will say that at first I was doughtfull That I made the right decision (brand wise) but have been very very inpresed with the machine. Here in Newfoundland, Canada, For the most part where we go is all water, mud /bog and rough terrain, usually making our own trails as we go. Lots of power for a 500, handels very well, good in the mud and works pretty hard as well.

Hope you get the machine the best siuts you the rider and not your buddies or other peoples attitudes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2003 | 04:07 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

“WisconsinNugs”, it sounds like the way you use your machine doesn’t exceed it’s limitations and you are very happy with it. Truly this is all that matters (how it works for you in what you use it for). I am not upset that I didn’t buy one and I am not brand bias by any means (that someone in another post may have implied). Every time a new machine comes out that interests me (regardless of what brand it is), I research into it enthusiastically to determine if it has the features that can justify purchasing one to replace what I am currently using. “Jacketar”, someone in the Yamaha forum was considering a Wolverine and wanted input on alternatives (I believe the posting was “Wolverine vs Everything Else” or something like that. I provided some input there (I used to own a Wolverine) and thought the Suzuki Vinson should be at the top of his “check out” list, perhaps you could add your thoughts to that with your hands on Vinson experience.

I decided to post on this topic after I saw someone rip on Sp600towtruck after he posted what he saw at H/M trailfest (which I was also witness to). The original posting by “Duramax” had a concern about the power of the Rincon and invited people to post their personal experiences or knowledge pro and con so he can better judge for himself on what to purchase.

From what I saw at the mud pit (this was a man made pit consisting of deep, thick mud) when the Rincon couldn’t turn it’s tires (you could hear the rider apply the throttle but the transmission couldn’t get the tires moving consistently). When they did move I will say all four were spinning so it has a good front diff system in spite of not having a diff lock.

But it also reminded me of what I saw with my riding partner’s Rubicon when we were trying to pull a small tree out of the ground. Attach chain, hit the gas and nothing happened (the transmission couldn’t spin the tires). So we unhooked the Rubicon and hooked up my Grizzly. I put it in diff lock, low range and hit the gas. I promptly dug 4 holes in the ground as the belt driven tranny didn’t have any trouble spinning the tires (but the tree still didn’t give). However the Grizzly has a listed towing capacity of 1150 lbs (which I abusively exceed on a regular basis)and the Rubicon is around 800 or 850 lbs or something like that (just like the Rincon). Yet the Rubicon feels like it handles my 628 lb rough cut trail mower better (the Grizzly has no trouble pulling it but it seems like it does more work going from stop to moving than the Rubicon does when pulling it). However when the Rubicon hits its limit, it just stops moving and from what I saw the Rincon does the same. Maybe this is a built-in design to keep from breaking something. I’ve broken the hitch on my Grizzly twice (doing reinforcing repairs each time) by trying to pull too much.

When the Rincon was first announced my riding partner (with the Rubicon) got on a reservation list for one (and was 2nd in line). The biggest reason for wanting to change was for the IRS and not for the power increase (after seeing and experiencing first hand what it’s like to ride all day on rough trails on an IRS versus a straight axle machine). Then we started reading less than positive magazine reviews and what put the icing on the cake (and cancellation of the reservation) was a trip to Hatfield McCoy where we met a Rincon rider on the trail. This person had just switched from a Rubicon to a Rincon so my partner listened to his story in earnest. He mostly complained about the lack of engine braking when compared to the Rubicon and the transmission not shifting when expected or shifting when they didn’t really wanted it to shift (this of course can be eliminated by switching to manual shift mode). However what was most important to my partner was the engine braking feature. She does not like my Grizzly because of it’s lack of engine braking (LOL) when compared to her Rubicon (which is true – it’s the best I’ve ever experienced). So she is still riding her Rubicon today.

However I personally don’t like the Rubicon because I want more power than what 500cc has to offer and I don’t like full time 4WD (although there is an unlocker available for it now at extra expense). In my opinion if Honda would have given the IRS, 2wd/4wd switchable Rincon the Rubicon's transmission instead of the 3 speed it has now it would have been a more versatile machine by combining the best ride available in a 600 lb big bore quad with what is possibly the best auto transmission (the Rubicon’s) available in a quad today, or at least have provided more ratios (1 or 2 more) to choose from with the transmission it has now. Then there’s the engine braking issue, but this wasn’t so important to “Duramax” in his original posting.

Old 11-13-2003 | 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

Bottom line is, the Rincon has lots of power. It is geared too high to compare it to the other Utility quads. The Rincon is PURE sport-utility. I just found out information that the Rincon is serverely detuned also. I don'y know about you guys, but my Rincon is very fast for a 600lb machine. But they are now saying that it is very very detuned from the factory and there is a TON of power availiable from it. Diamond G Racing is making timing modules to advance the timing for lots more power so be on the look out. They will also be making exhaust, because stock is restrictive. So yes, the Rincon has power from the factory...they just didn't put out all of it's potential.

Old 11-13-2003 | 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

You can't use the restricted power arguement or the high gearing arguement. We are not discussing engines but quads. The quad is a package and we must judge the quad not the engine. All quads are power restricted from factory. I could say if Kawi didn't detune my P650 or V-Force I could blow away any quad out there but we can't judge the quad like that.

Old 11-13-2003 | 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

No, you were trying to comare it to the other quads that can tow tons. I am just saying the gearing is too high to compare it to the others like that.

As far as the timing, the Rincon is so detuned they can't even advance it far enough to get the most power out of it. Even then the timing is STILL retarded back. If you don't believe me ask Diamong G. I don't believe the prairie is like that. But I may be wrong. All I know is, when they free up as much power as they can, a Rincon with theses mods will absolutely kick ***. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-13-2003 | 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

You may have the Rincon and Praire confused, DG is working on the Praire. They have a holeshot module and are working on the unlimiter. They also maybe working on the Rincon, that could very well be possible.

People when they quad shop do not look at the gearing, they look at the entire package. Honda offers a nice package but they do not tow like the other big bores can. They get the Honda because its a trusted name or are loyal fans. They see their friend with the Praire pulling a big wagon or something and they try to do it too. They soon find out the limitations of their purchase. Its doesn't matter if the gearing is to high, people do not know that when they buy the quad.

Honda sells it this way and that is how it will be compared. If they offered gearing options then you have a valid point.

Old 11-13-2003 | 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

As I said before get what meets your needs head to the great outdoors enjoy the time with friends and family and the most important thing is to have fun.Enjoy the time in your favorite riding area because you never know when it will be gone!

Old 11-13-2003 | 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bbertram
You may have the Rincon and Praire confused, DG is working on the Praire. They have a holeshot module and are working on the unlimiter. They also maybe working on the Rincon, that could very well be possible.

People when they quad shop do not look at the gearing, they look at the entire package. Honda offers a nice package but they do not tow like the other big bores can. They get the Honda because its a trusted name or are loyal fans. They see their friend with the Praire pulling a big wagon or something and they try to do it too. They soon find out the limitations of their purchase. Its doesn't matter if the gearing is to high, people do not know that when they buy the quad.

Honda sells it this way and that is how it will be compared. If they offered gearing options then you have a valid point.
That's why stupid people don't buy a $7,500 quad. lol The tow rating says 850lbs, so they should go by that. It can tow way more than 850lbs but that is something to go by when trying to find something to tow alot.

And yes, DG is making a Holeshot module, Unlimiter module, and performance exhaust for the Rincon. email them and ask if you want. I also have a quote from Don at DG and he says the Rincon is very detuned and is the most plugged up quad they have worked with. I do realize they make stuff for the prairie too though.

Old 11-13-2003 | 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

I have a question. Whywould an atv manufacturue spend all this money and time to make the engine perform to a standard they se fit then DETUNE it. other then atv regulations, which im sure they are aware of before they go into a new engine design . Its like ok im going to build this 350 with 12:1 comp, roller everthing high rise intake with a little 2-barrowl carb . so i just dumped 4 grand into this engine and all this time only to detune it at the end. is this what the manufacturer"s are doing or are they building an engine that will suit the time that could perform better with some minor mods . Every atv forum here has said that famous phrase "unleash the power" well just like my prairie i unleashed some of the power but if i really want to unleash its true power ill do a big bore kit to 700cc or even 750cc. now i have just made a different engine in a way.hope you see my point.

Quick Reply: Is the Rincon Really that Under Powered?