Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

440 kit for 400ex ?? HARD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 11:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 440 kit for 400ex ?? HARD?

hey i wanna put in 440 kit for my 00 400ex and wondering if its hard... i wanna put a sleeve in.. .how do i go about takin that out... do i gotta get it pressed out and pressed in? thanks any knowledge will help

Old 11-11-2003, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

im currently having a machine shop install my big bore kit, cost is $170 for installation. its not a do it yourself job by any means unless you ae a skilled machinest with all the necesary machining tools, heres what they do:
remove studs
heat cylinder and remove sleeve
bore cylinder block almost big enough to accept new sleeve, not sure of the exact measurements.
heat cylinder block
press in new sleeve
bore and hone sleeve to specs (they remove alot of material)
grind downgasket surface so its flush with new sleeve
install studs

thisis just my recolection of what they told me at the machine shop, so dont quote me on this

Old 11-12-2003, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear it is very difficult, I had mine done professionally

Old 11-12-2003, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

420 got it right on the sleeve installation.

Then you get to install the piston and the jugg, and then torque everything down and take some deck height measurements, and then find the compressed thickness of your head gasket put the numbers into a comp calculator and figure how much if any you will need to machine the deck to get your desired comp.

Well a little more than that but the basics. Dont forget not all pistons will produce the comp there rated at. This problem isnt as wide spread as it was a year ago but its still something that needs to be addressed.

Dont go and build another Wiseco or JE 8.5:1 440. Theres enough of those powerless slugs out there allready. Do your homework and set it up right the first time.

Old 11-12-2003, 04:52 PM
Range Rover

okay well if i do a 440 kit will it make it much faster? also will it take the liabilty out of the bike? how much does a 440 kit go for like just the piston sleeve etc.? i found one for like 180 is that right?and for the boring.. yea i need that done but i can probly take the sleeve out myself.

Old 11-12-2003, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

yea, you could tke the old sleev out with a block of wood ana a hammer but you have to heat the cylinder. i got my big bore kit on ebay for $165

Old 11-14-2003, 02:17 AM
Pro Rider

You want all the real answers to installing a 440 kit. Call LRD Performance and talk to them. They do one thing that most machine shops dont do. That is Bolt down the cylinder before starting the machine work and it stays true. The easiest way to explain it would be that your cylinder sleeve will stay round and true when bolted back together. Do it right the first time and you will have no trouble with the 440.

You will not realize the true potential of the 440 untill you change the cam, must have a pipe, and I would suggest at least mild porting, and a 39mm fcr carb. Make sure you change your clutch springs to heavy duty also...

Just my opinion, for what its worth....

Old 11-14-2003, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 00400ex
okay well if i do a 440 kit will it make it much faster? also will it take the liabilty out of the bike? how much does a 440 kit go for like just the piston sleeve etc.? i found one for like 180 is that right?and for the boring.. yea i need that done but i can probly take the sleeve out myself.
Since were in the same state I have to be honest the 440 may cause you to lose power the engine could blow up at any time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

OK I was being sarcastic but theres some truth to that also. I had purchased this quad with a supposed 440 (it wasnt a real 440 more like a 432 lol) and was set up so wrong it was sad. I actually had to learn all about this engine to decifer what all the different problems were and had to tear it down and reassemble it at least six times maybe more before all the problems from the original mechanic or owners 440 installation.

I am not trying to scare you away from the mod cause since getting it right I have been super happy with it and wouldnt trade it for much except maybe a stroker [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Keep a few things in mind, and these couple little things can save you a good amount of $$ and headaches too.

1) I may get heat for this but its what I have found from experience and anyone who has done this was happy including myself. Most piston kits are fine (I do prefer Ross) and getting the correct rings and piston combo not to mention the right pin and circlips will save you trouble down the road BUT big bore kits as far as I have seen are a total waste of $$$. If you intend to get it right the first time you will most likely need different thickness gaskets and that dont come with the kit and also you will most likely get better products for just about the same $$$ buying seperate. Now there are some serious deals on Ebay and if you dont mind what ever brand there selling and not having anyone to question etc you can consider it but trust me you will be real close if you piece it yourself. This is by memory but piston and rings 124.00 sleeve 60.00 gaskets 20-50.00 depending on who's and what you really need.

2) This is a biggie for sure and if you are planning on doing a 440 or larger bore you better be thinking on doing some other mods to make it work correctly. Some things needed are a cam, at least a clean up porting, maybe a carb or some jets to start, depending on condition of the valvetrain and cam you pick valves, guides, springs valve job and maybe even a hd timing chain and hd head studs. Not that many of these things wouldnt work well with a 416 or 436 bore but you can "cheat" a little more on the smaller bores but if you do it on the 440 the additional cc's will be starved for air and fuel with the stk items.

3) Here is where it gets interesting and not everyone thinks about it when considering the 440. Why not a 416 or 426 where you can save the extra 120.00-200.00 for the purchase of and installation on the sleeve alone? If your like me you thinking whats another couple bucks on something like this, well thats $$$ you could put into anything you may have been thinking on skimping on the 440. Maybe porting or the cam and valves etc. but if the $$ isnt an issue then put about 800.00 to 1200.00 aside and get on the phone with your favorite parts dealer.

I had saved the basic breakdown I had compiled over time that I had posted on another site but lost it on the last hard drive crash. Basically if your starting from stk or scratch as far as the engine goes and have nothing more than a silencer and intake mods (K&N etc) there will be about a 300-500 difference in the "basic" 416 v/s 440 build up. If your missing the silencer and intake tack another 250-300 onto both totals.

The thing is that with the 440 needing more "flow" you have to give it some extra $$$ and allways will have the sleeve issue to deal with. Now most things that will make the 416 breathe better and produce more power will also help the 440 so even if you just went with a high comp piston in the smaller over bore you can allways use the perfromance items you buy later on when you do your next rebuild and go with the new sleeve and 440 piston etc. but the lack of some items that are still within spec (this is an assumption here) like the old valve springs and valves or a more mild cam will not hamper 416 as much as the 440.

Now one thing to keep in mind is that if you want one of the faster 416 or 440's around you are going to have to do most all of the mods to either and a lot of those ideas go straight down the toilet. Theres a big diff between "making do till later" and doing "100% right" and if you have no interest in $$$ at all then I have to suggest not only going to a 440 with a min of 12.5:1 comp but also stroking it to allmost 500cc and getting all the special gaskets and studs and aux coolers and hardened rockers and and and and and and and and and and and you get the idea.

I guess when you get past a certain stage you just wont be happy with a high comp piston and XR or hot cam that will work with most stk valve trains and forget about the stk carb so there goes another 400.00+ on the FCR and the list goes on.

Sorry if I rambled on, or scared you off the idea but if your still seriously interested let me know I will get you directed to the real info you need.

Old 11-14-2003, 02:54 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Trxoutlawz
You want all the real answers to installing a 440 kit. Call LRD Performance and talk to them. They do one thing that most machine shops dont do. That is Bolt down the cylinder before starting the machine work and it stays true. The easiest way to explain it would be that your cylinder sleeve will stay round and true when bolted back together. Do it right the first time and you will have no trouble with the 440.

You will not realize the true potential of the 440 untill you change the cam, must have a pipe, and I would suggest at least mild porting, and a 39mm fcr carb. Make sure you change your clutch springs to heavy duty also...

Just my opinion, for what its worth....
Wish I could have kept it short LMAO

I agree but the clutch I have found has as much to do with the rider and style as with the engine or clutch itself.

Old 11-14-2003, 03:46 PM
Range Rover

okay thanks for the good infomation, few quick questions. if boring to a 426 will it b almost as quick and do u have to take the sleeve out? im goin to go 11:1 compression with port and polished head, jet kit, K&N air filter, oil cooler reservior. Do u think i need anything better... like vacvles or anything... do they make rocker\rollers for the 400 .... Any information great apperaticed.

Quick Reply: 440 kit for 400ex ?? HARD?