Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda's New Front Differential

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2000 | 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

I wrote that. So I won't beat around the bush. Atving you are a liar, plain and simple. By the way, would you like to purchase a free Polaris shop manual? What a..........!

Old 06-19-2000 | 10:38 PM
Pro Rider

I was thinking about leaving this post alone,that is ,until Rancheres posted to ATVing about owning the worlds worst ATV and calling it junk.

After all the problems I had with my 99 Sportsman,I still beleive it to be the finest all around utility 4x4s out there today.WHY?I have to many friends that ride them trouble free.You can get a lemon from any crop,including Honda.

Some of you Honda guys really make me laugh.What Honda 4x4 will out perform my rubberband made Polaris 4x4 Xplorer in,

1.Hills?
2.Mud?
3.Trails?
4.Performance?
5.Comfort?
6.Cant think of one,can you?
I really was staying out of this one,but in no way is the Sportsman junk.Because Rancheres had a bad experience with one does not make the entire crop bad.------Bill

Old 06-19-2000 | 11:20 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Bill C. seems the Honda guys can't admit the short comings of there bikes man when you mention no disc, 2 to 4 switch and IRS they go berzerk, ok fellows you all think I am a liar you have had your childish fun so can we all grow up and get back to a discussion discussing facts. I have admitted Polaris has short comings and even listed them I also stated that I could have been mistaken on which one of the hondas that I rode steered easier I am almost sure it was the foreman but it may have been the rancher I rode about 4 different bikes that day so what is the big deal does this condone calling people liars and stooping to sledders level. I do know this though with the new extension plates on my sportsman I haven't rode a bike yet that steers as easy as my sportsman does...I have tried this one fellows lets put this behind us and don't ruin the post and get on with the discussion. As Tim said I didn't really mean I was throwing a 700 pound machine around but using the power combined with the 2 to 4 wheel drive switch off you would be surprised what you can do with the sportsman there is no way a solid axle will follow with the IRS suspension that is on the sport Bill C. and some of the other riders will tell you this it is just to smooth. I have rode different times with guys who rode behind me and have been utterly amazed how the IRS soaked up bumps they said they had never seen anything like it when they were trying to keep up with me...so what I am going to do to end this arguement once and for all I am going to post a question on who's rancher is working the way it is used to on both forums and we will both know...

Old 06-20-2000 | 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Hey I want it all and I want it NOW!!!
I want a 4x4 with IRS, EFI and water-cooled 4-valve head. I want it to weigh under 450 lbs. and I want an Autotranny. Honda's unproven lawnmower transmission (Hydrostatic) can't be as light as a rubber band, but if it's got a front differential that works, put a locker on it and stick one in back so I can ride it on the road too.
I don't care who makes it or what color it is.
I see no reason why I can't have my sport and eat up some trails too!
This thing would eat solid axled and 700
pounders for lunch.
Silly Later, Fourlix

SP500,425EXP,325Mag, AutoCat 500 FOR SALE
What's he doing over here? At least he writes in complete sentences.

Old 06-20-2000 | 02:23 AM
Range Rover

The postings on this thread have moved so far from the original topic that they are no longer even close to the original subject. For the most part due to a couple of heckelers.

The lawnmower comparison doesn't pardon your belt CVT. There are more riding lawn mowers with belt CVT than hydrostatic. The belt CVT is less expensive though. I'm not sure the hydrostatic is lighter but I bet it's more compact. The real question is which one wastes more power. They both will have some loss and it will be dissipated as heat. I know that belt CVT produces heat and so will the hydro type. The question is which is more efficient use of power.

I agree that a light weight sport quad would be nice. In my opinion the Wolverine is closest, but doesn't have enough muscle. Some of the modified ones are closer to what you should get straight out of the box.

Old 06-20-2000 | 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

Open your eyes buddy, have you not been scrolling through the Polaris forum for the last 3 months. All I see is sp500 owners posting threads about mechanical failures, I mean all bikes have problems but the famous sp breaks down way, way more often. End of agruement here, you have no ground to stand on. We can talk about overheating, tie-rods, faulty 4wd, very short brake life . . . the list goes on and on.

As for the performance of your bike, I can't comment on this as I have never spent more than 30 minutes on an explorer. One of the guys in our group has one and his belt is always getting wet, so I guess performance in the mud and wet trails is marginal at best.

Old 06-20-2000 | 11:16 AM
Range Rover

Like I said earlier, if I had to constantly put down other atv's in order to make mine look good I would just go out and buy something else. It seems that all these Polaris boys have to do this; that is constantly downgrade other atv's in order to make themselves feel better. At least they may feel better in there own minds.
However, we know Polaris is the best. Just ask these people.
By the way, I believe the original post was from someone who bought a Rancher and was asking a question about the front differential. If you go back to the original post you will see that the question was simple and to the point. If this discussion had remained among the individuals who ride Hondas the discussion would have remained an intelligent one. But you know? You always have some outsider(s) comming in acting like he/they know everything about everything. Of course they do, they are the mighty POLARIS boys.

Old 06-20-2000 | 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

You mention the one word to a Polaris guy & they go beserk, drummmmm rollll please, yes it is reliability! Because they know with all of those bell & whistles aren't worth a crap if it don't run.

I came from the Personnal Watercraft world, & yes the quality of Polaris was questionable there also!

Yes, it is possible to get a lemon from any manufacturer, however some just have more than others.

Now that its been said, was anything gained from this, NO. Then why do we bash each other. We are like a bunch of 10 year olds, including myself for joining in. GROW UP people. If there was one PERFECT quad out there then everyone would buy that brand. It is no wonder why the Eco-maniacs are winning the battle, we are to busy fighting among ourselves.

I will now step off the soap box.

Old 06-20-2000 | 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

If we leave locked front ends to the rubber band machines, then I guess they should add a permanent strap to the front of all hondas or rubber cushioning to the rear rack for the polaris guys to pull or push you out. If the true 4wd capability isn't being sought after, then why did High Lifter offer a locker for the hondas? Also, the polaris quads can be taken out of 4wd for easy steering. So why don't you go back and get on your Honda and just be grateful that you have a quad instead of bashing other wheelers. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. The other day I was at the dealership, and a girl had brought in some driveline parts off a Honda 450. The u-joint could not be replaced alone, it came premounted with both yokes and a pretty price tag. If it had been greasable, it would probably still be working with no wear. Also, good thing Honda's all have engine braking, cause the drum brake just isn't the hot setup for the new millenium. Anyway, I'm not here to bash anybody's ride, it just gets to me when somebody wants to start trash talk.

Old 06-20-2000 | 05:58 PM
Range Rover

Agree!

Quick Reply: Honda's New Front Differential