Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Does honda have plans to improve the rincon?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 10:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does honda have plans to improve the rincon?

I'm seriously considering a rincon, but am waiting to see if Honda is going to address the complaints about lack of engine breaking or a lower gearing for 2004 - 2005. Anyone heard anything about this?

Old 11-16-2003, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

The people who complain about not having a low range shouldn't have bought the quad. Honda will not change the Rincon for what it was designed to do. The engine braking can also no be changed unless they put lower ratios in. Most likely, they will not change the gears at all.

If you ride the Rincon for what it was made to do, you need no low range. I can still pull very heavy loads with my Rincon and the lack of low range doesn't bother me a bit.

I haven't heard of any changes for the Rincon though. If there is something changed, usually no one knows until it comes out.

Old 11-16-2003, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with you. You shouldn't buy something and then complain that the company should change it. Know what you are getting into first. That's why I'm asking all of these questions. A common criticism of the rincon is the gearing. I thought maybe Honda would hear the masses and say hey we might have missed the boat here, and do something about it.

And I don't think the engine breaking issue is about towing as much as it is downhill braking for speed control. What doesit kick in @ 8mph? or so

Old 11-17-2003, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

Engine braking is not an electronic thing, so it doesn't really "kick in" it's mechanical and is just a natural thing that accords due to the gear ratios. Yes at about 8 mph you hear the engine start to wind up some but it's really not much faster than 10mph.

Honda didn't make the Rincon to be pure utility. So they don't need to change the Rincon in the utility features, because I think they have got that down.

I think that Honda should make a 650+cc pure utility quad with some real low gearing though. They need it.

Old 11-17-2003, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer

I believe it is an electronic thing because the clutches have to be switched hydraulically by a solenoid to allow the engines compression to be used as a brake. (One way lock up clutch) Because a torque converter is so efficient at transferring power from the engine, they don't work that well at engne braking

Old 11-17-2003, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

I do agree that they should come out with a lower geared utility version. That would be great.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: longgun
I believe it is an electronic thing because the clutches have to be switched hydraulically by a solenoid to allow the engines compression to be used as a brake. (One way lock up clutch) Because a torque converter is so efficient at transferring power from the engine, they don't work that well at engne braking
Well yes, the one way lockup feature is electronic and has to do with the ECU. But it's mechanically not possible for the engine braking to be any better unless they put in a lower gear ratio.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

Honda already has the best utility tranny,the hondamatic.Now if they would just put that tranny in the Rincon,that would be my dream quad.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

I wonder if that could be an aftermarket mod. Same with the gear ratios perhaps.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Oh yea,and put the low range hondamatic in like on the Rubicon, not like the new 400AT that doesn't have low.

Quick Reply: Does honda have plans to improve the rincon?