Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Will a Rubicon owner step up to the plate? battle of egos here

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2000, 04:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alaskaweasel,
I own a 99 500cc Sportsman and a 00 400cc Xplorer.The IRS on the Sportsman gives it the superior ride over the Xplorer.In deep mud,[my experience only] SO FAR,the IRS on my Sportsman has yet to be a factor over the more powerful[and 110lbs lighter]400cc 2 stroke Xplorer in any mud I've seen.Unless the mud pit you are challenging is completely pitted up with ruts,IRS dont even play a part in the mud.

Now,on the other hand,if the mud pit is all badly rutted up,the IRS could certainly have the advantage in the mud.The IRS will allow BOTH rear tires to hold ground,while it would be possible to hit a rut with a straight axle quad and get one tire away from traction,its unlikely with a skilled rider.

Just last Sunday,myself and 2 guys on Sportsman 335s were mudding,I completely out mudded BOTH guys in the worst situations at out local riding area.They looked in AWE.

Wheel speed has ALOT to do with mudding techniques.So does weight.The Xplorer wins BOTH of these catagories.One could argue the Sportsman has more ground clearance.BS.The ONLY place the Sportsman has any more ground clearance than the Xplorer is around the rear sprocket,and in mud,that tiny thing plays NO factor.

As I earlier mentioned,I'd LOVE to challange Mr Simms to a mudfest,but we are so very far apart,and the chance of it happening are very slim.

In ending this,I doubt very much if IRS on any quad plays much a role in the mud.Off camber situations on hills?Yes.Rider comfort on the trails?Yes.======Bill

Old 07-11-2000, 06:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill: Totally agree. I do believe off camber situations are better done on IRS. Just haven't always agreed with some that IRS necessarily means better off road performance. Does in some situations and don't in others. Thanks BILL.

Old 07-11-2000, 07:14 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sumthin4nuthin and TAZsGRIZZ
Further proof that gregsims first line comment is indeed correct. I would love to not have to read this rubbish, however given that I am not prescient I have no way of knowing what the post is about prior to reading it.

Gentleman your drivel is getting tiresome however if this is what it takes (ridiculous posts) to relieve your obvious low self esteem then fill your boots.

Temp

ps Is this a Texas (or local area) thing?