Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Will a Rubicon owner step up to the plate? battle of egos here

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2000, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polcat2, what we have here is a "failure to communicate" (from "Cool Hand Luke").

If Greg were talking about a RACE, I agree with you. However, here's what he said, initially:

"I would like to challenge a Rubicon owner to a little competition to clear up the controversy
regarding WHAT IS THE MOST CAPABLE ATV." (emphasis added)

In a race, we're talking about a man-machine combination; in an evaluation, we're talking ablut the machine only.

My point: If evaluating the MACHINE is the goal, the variable of rider skills should be factored out of the evaluation. Typically, in controlled experiments of this nature, skill variations are normalized by exchanging machines/riders.

As I understand the thrust of Greg's challenge, he's interested in comparing Polaris against Rubicon, machine-wise, not Greg Simms, ATV Racer, against all comers.

Your alternative interpretation may be more correct.

Tree Farmer

Old 07-02-2000, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is like the post I made about a month back. I invited other riders over and to no avail. Only talk and more talk... If I were not 1500 miles away I too would go for the thrill!

Old 07-02-2000, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Since you're gonna pull out quotes: Sand Drag (side by side)

2) Barrel Race (Just like in a Rodeo) Shows ability to make sharp turns and accelerate)

3) Dirt track Race (Has jumps and sharp Turns)

4) Mud Race (Around the perimeter of Mary's Mudhole.

Both ATVs could be timed in all of these races.
Is there any part of his original quote that doesn't resemble a "a racing" challenge? No wagers were mentioned, nor "swapping riders". I'm sure Rusty Wallace would loan me his car to race someone else, so I think I'll call and ask.(Not) Nascar Quote: "He won today because he had the faster car".End Quote. Our driver didn't win because the winning driver was superior? No way you would hear that one. (There are thousands of "talented" riders out there.)

Let Dirt Wheels talk and elaborate about bad designs,weak brakes,headlight's, etc. The manufacturers have already done the "swap riders", swap wheelers" stuff. There's not any excitement in that. Either way, I'm not trying to stir up a hornet's nest. No hard feelings. Polcat

Old 07-02-2000, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Yes this one is to far for me to but if anybody from KY, WV, or OH wants to meet somewhere I would be than happy to get it on...

Old 07-02-2000, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

Xplor: To bad your clear east in Canada. I would meet you at the Border and ride. Since many times i ride within 15 to 20 miles of Canada. If your ever near Alaska, lets go do some riding, Email me and i'll bring the camping supplies!!!!

Old 07-03-2000, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

who cares? I would rather have a Honda any day. My bro-in-law has two Polaris 4-wheeler and he hates them. He told me once something goes wrong with one everything goes wrong.
He is looking into getting a Honda now.
Ride Red

Old 07-03-2000, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

who cares? I would rather have a Honda any day. My bro-in-law has two Polaris 4-wheeler and he hates them. He told me once something goes wrong with one everything goes wrong.
He is looking into getting a Honda now.
Ride Red

Old 07-03-2000, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gregsims wants to determine "WHAT IS THE MOST CAPABLE ATV," specifically, whether his Polaris or anyone else's Rubicon performs better in the limited trials he proposes.

You suggest, polcat2, rider skill plays no role in performance of these trials; the superior machine will win, no matter who rides it; thus, there's no need to exchange riders to determine definitely behond a shadow of a doubt "WHAT IS THE MOST CAPABLE ATV" for all eternity.

Evidence supporting your premise, from the context of a specific race, involving a specific car and a specific driver, you offer: "Nascar Quote: 'He won today because he had the faster car.' End Quote." You extend that specific remark to a generality covering all motor racing, involving all types of vehicles, in all environments.

Why wouldn't Rusty Wallace fling you the keys to his car? After all, the faster car always wins; Rusty can sit up in the stands, in the shade, drinking Cokes, while you bring home the trophy. And, the prize money! (I don't know why a purse for gregsims' contest offends you; NASCAR drivers race for cash.)

If you genuinely believe rider skill plays no role in gregsims' series of contests, I understand your position. If Greg's Polaris is superior, it will win with me in the saddle, even against you piloting TxDoc2's Rubicon. Therefore, there's no need to swap riders, because the superior machine will win no matter who's riding it.

Maybe you're right.

Tree Farmer

Old 07-03-2000, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, you seem to be a one about you little P word. Why dont you do something a little more than that, how about some hill climbing or pulling or deep water. Your little polaris is not what you think it is. Wow, you may have some more speed and that isnt even proven, but these are supposed to be work machines, and a rubicon is twice the work machine. I wouldnt be afraid to compete my Honda 300 4x4 in a work competition cause it has done very well against the magnum 500, i just dont have the speed and that is all you are comparing here, although i would have fun with you on them barrel races.

00 Honda 300 4x4 BRING IT ON

Old 07-03-2000, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

I never suggested that a bad rider on a good bike could beat a good rider on a slower machine. This is getting ridiculous, to say the least. There are many other GREAT riders on the North American Continent. Here's what I'm suggesting: I'm suggesting that if someone answers Greg, goes through the trouble of going to Texas to RACE Greg,that he's(The Challenger)is gonna be a good rider too. So, If Greg takes his bike down to the mud-pit for RACING, you feel he should throw his keys to someone else and sit in the stands? Or should he race a bike he's never even ridden, and try to beat his own machine? It won't happen.

Rusty and the other Great drivers get their cars bought for them, Greg (and the challenger) will have to pay for repairs and\or damages, that might occur to their machines themselves.
Far as the wagers go; that's between Greg and the other competitor. That's Not any of the by-standers business.
If you wanna make up the rules for a race competion, or whatever YOU decide to call it, so be it. That's your business. This challenge brought forth(in my opinion) is a racing challenge.
I never would have answered this post to begin with, but I sense that you feel it's your duty to make up rules and stipulations, for a competion that you're not even in. Why shouldn't I express my feelings and say: "Let them do it however they want to." It's their bikes not ours. Polcat

Quick Reply: Will a Rubicon owner step up to the plate? battle of egos here