Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How were your valves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2000 | 04:49 PM
|
Trailblazer

I am about to perform the first service on my Rancher. I changed the oil at 100 miles, but now want to do the rest if the first service. As part of the first service, it is recommended that you check and adjust the valves. My question is....when you have checked the valves of your bike, have the valves actually needed adjusted? Obviously, I am interested in information on the Rancher, but would also like to hear from other 4 stroke riders. My valves are not noisy right now. To get to the valves requires taking off the front rack, much of the plastic and the gas tank. Should I go through this now, or wait until they "sound" like they need it? Does it hurt to run them out of adjustment or does it just cause a lack of performance. Can you tell from the sound when they need adjusted?

Old 07-08-2000 | 05:15 PM
Range Rover

I have never had my valves checked. My dealer told me i dont have to. Do I need them check. hearing alot of people talking about checking them has me worried. My 400EX so far is just 2 months old, should i have the valves checked?

Old 07-08-2000 | 06:22 PM
Trailblazer

i just did mine today, (00'400ex) as well as checking the entire bike out. Mine were out of spec both intake and exhaust. About .002 off, intake was about .003 off exhaust. Im not sure if it would hurt it being that much off. It fairly straight forward, took me about 4 hours since i wanted to do a thorough and clean job. I know with a car motor you can set the lash on your valves tight or loose, where it will give a tad more top end if lashed loose or give a tad bottom end lashed loose. So i would think it would apply to the quad, so having them a tad loose should be okay or but proably not too tight since they are tight clearences.

y2k400ex
stock for now....except the free ones...

Old 07-08-2000 | 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

On a new machine it is wise to have the tappets adjusted or do it your self in order not to void the warranty if a problem occurs later on. I had the dealer check mine the first time for that reason but have adjusted them myself since. As to performance fall off when out of spec, I'd say that like any other piece of equipment that requires adjustment, failing to do so would affect performance. Also lack of noise is not a fail safe indication as the tappets can sometimes tend to close rather than open.

Old 07-08-2000 | 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

My friend just bought a used 2000 400ex. He rode it for a while and then noticed a little tapping sound. I had a friend who works at a dealership adjust the valves. The book said something like the fist 10-20 hours to adjust the valves or just check the clearence.
Valve jobs cost some money better be safe and get them checked then burn a valve.
Also i called some dealers to see how much do adjust the valves. they said to bring the bike in for a service. The was $150. Included in the $150 was an oil filter, new oil, and they clean the air filter. Sure glad i do my own work. What a rip off dealers can be if u dont know one that works on the side

Old 07-08-2000 | 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

When I adjusted the valves on my EX, three of them were only off by about .001, but the fourth one was off by about .005, so it's a good thing I did adjust them. The engine was a little quieter afterwards also.

Old 07-08-2000 | 09:48 PM
Range Rover

I dont know how to check it my self. The dealer in my state S**K. They all told me i dont need to have the valves checked GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. What should i do

Old 07-08-2000 | 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

Get them checked! I'm taking my 00 Rancher ES 4x2 in Monday for it's 100 mile checkup ( actually 156 miles ). ALWAYS better safe then sorry! The dealer which I bought it from is going to check the vavles ( they probably need adjusted because they are making some noise ), change oil, oil filter, and go over brake adjustment and other items for $55.00. Can't beat that!!! I bought my 97 Recon used off a lady owner last year, and in the fall took it in and got the valves adjusted and I DID notice a difference in performance!

Old 07-09-2000 | 12:06 AM
Trailblazer

Check your valves. You will not hear any noise the valves go tight not loose. When this happens they burn. Honda valves can not be laped or resurfaced they have to be replaced and the seats recut. Check them once a year. It is not that hard of job and a lot cheaper than a valve job.

Old 07-09-2000 | 12:24 PM
Trailblazer

luckywilson, can you elaborate more on "valves get tighter, not looser"? What is it that wears that would make the valve tighter? Thanks for any input.

Quick Reply: How were your valves?