Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda 250 r right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 250 r right for me?

I am planning on getting this soon. I am 14 years old and have been riding my whole life. I am planning on doing Gncc when i am 16 in a amature class. I also do very fast trail riding but money is a problem. I will have about 2 thousend to find one. Searching ebay for anything. As long as it runs ill take it. then i will just get nerf bars and the full bore front plastics and i will be set. My job is soon and my dad said he will give me 15 hundred. Hope to have it before school ends. But I have some questions first

1. am I really going to need to do a new top end once a year? Will it be expencive to do so?
2. Is the gas tank big enough to go trail riding for a good 2 1/2 3 hour ride without filling up agian?
3. Will I be able to keep up with my buddy's on raptors and yfz's in stock form?
4. What is the top speed?
5. How is the handles in stock form?
6. Best pipe?
7. 2 stroke power jiggles?
8. Will it wheelie on cammand and in what gear will it come up in stock form?
9. I know its a honda and all but is it as reliable as the new 4 stroke racers?
10. Is there any main years that i should olokm for?
11. any diffrences in the years?

Thanks for the replys bro's and cant wait to ride

Old 05-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Range Rover

250r are crazy sick man. why did they stop making them? lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and yes top ends come and go like crazy, dude your 14. trail riding on a 250r? well i guess it depends on the mods my buddy got a 250r you can't let off the gas if you do it stalls. i would go with a 4 stroke inless your ready to repair it alot and put alot of money into it.

Old 05-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

I said i would be doing trails not puting HAHA I wont let it stall. Il set my idle nice and if needed high. I willbe taking motor classes next year so hopefilly they dont go that fast..

Old 05-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

if i were you, id buy a used 400ex

Old 05-18-2004, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Here are some answers from someone wanting to sell my 250R.
1. No a topend doesn't automatically need to be replaced every year, it depends on the type of riding you do and how well you did the last top end.
2. Yes you can ride for a couple of hours on one tank of gas, but it does go dry pretty fast if you hold it wide open all the time.
3. No, a 250R in stock form isn't all that great, I can run with some Rappys and 450's but there are always be someone faster than you.
4. Top speed of a stock 250 is around 65-67 mph.
5. To me it is the best handling ride out there, I haven't seen any new bikes that stick to the ground like my 250R. Three words -- Donuts on Asphalt!
6. I like the ESR pipes, however there are some much better pipes for dragging, to save money and to have a good trail pipe, look for one of the older FMF's that doesn't have the bend in the megaphone.
7. I have fewer vibrations out of my built 250 (with headstay) than I had with my stock Raptor.
8. If it is an 86 wheelies are out of the question, the later years are similar to a 400EX. With my 86 length swinger, I can leave wide-open in second and not worry about it popping up too much.
9. I have had less trouble out of my 250 than out of my new Raptor, however there is more maintanence and the operating costs are much greater.
10. Look for an 88 or 89 for trails and MX, look for an 86 for draggin and duning, I would stay away from an 87. No matter what year you get, remember this will soon be a 20 year old bike.
11. Hundreds, most are so small that you wouldn't notice especially if it is your first 250R, other than the swingarm length.

A couple other things, operating costs are unbelivable compared to a newer 4 stroke. For me to ride part of one day I spend about $18 for 5 gal of 110 octane gas plus $8 for a pint of Maxima 927, while my buddy on a Z400 spends about $3 on gas. Also, with a bike this old, there will be a learning curve, with my latest 250 it seemed like I broke at least one part every ride untill I got everything sorted out. Finally, check and see if a 250R will be legal in the class you want to race. Here lately the 250's are down at the races, it's mostly 4 strokes. Also consider that a stock 250 wont do very well at the races, to be truely competitive, a full aftermarket 250 is the way to go.

As bad as all that sounds, it is so fun to ride a 250R. There is nothing better than having someone come up to you in the parking lot and saying "damn I haven't seen one of those in years." There is something to be said for a person that decides what they want to ride and keeping it alive for years. ANYONE can go and buy a YFZ450 and win dragraces, see it these new bikes are still around kicking *** in 20 years.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, also sorry about the long post, but I really like my 250R.

Nic

Old 05-18-2004, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

5. To me it is the best handling ride out there, I haven't seen any new bikes that stick to the ground like my 250R. Three words -- Donuts on Asphalt!
you know, overall, I have to edge out an agreement when i consider everything and not get caught up in the hype. I have a 450R. Its a great bike and I would reccomend it. But as impressive and its 4 stroke mill is, and as good as it is technology-wise, the 250R to me, overall, is just lighter, neutrally balanced and more stable at high speeds.

Old 05-18-2004, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

Nickname and 20 both hit the nail on the head! Nothing is more fun than flinging a 250r throuhg the woods.
I had the opprotunity to take a brief ride on a TRX 450 with the HRC hop up kit installed. It felt pretty quick, but it aint no 250R. It was pretty squirrley at speed. That brief ride diddnt make me want to cough up $6500.

Old 05-18-2004, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

That is exactly what I thought. With what 250's are going for now, you could have two decent 250's for the price of one 450. Even with my long swingarm, wooded trails are much more fun than a Rappy, Z400 or YFZ450. I haven't ridden a 450R yet.

Old 05-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have an 87 with just about everything done to it, so I will try to answer your questions.

1. am I really going to need to do a new top end once a year? Will it be expencive to do so?
I have an ESR 310 top end on it now but before that I had a stock jug that had not been rebuilt in 7 years and still had good compression. If you run good quality oil in the gas and keep an eye on the jetting they could last a while. It is not uncommon to hear about 86-89 250rs still running on the stock bore.

2. Is the gas tank big enough to go trail riding for a good 2 1/2 3 hour ride without filling up agian?

250R's are gas guzzlers if you ride them hard. To give you an idea, on my quad if the 310 engine and 38 mm carb, if I ride it hard in the open, I will get about 45 min out of tank full but on trails I could get about 2-3 hours.

3. Will I be able to keep up with my buddy's on raptors and yfz's in stock form?

In stock form the raptor and yfzs will kill a 250r in top speed but in terms of handling (cornering jumping, braking, etc..) the R would be better than the raptor but not as good as the yzf.

4. What is the top speed?

stock about 65-68 mph.

5. How is the handles in stock form?

In stock for they handle ok but not up to yzf standards.

6. Best pipe?

This depends on what type of power you are looking for. For gncc racing I would recommend the trx-6 from ESR. This is a low to midrange pipe.

7. 2 stroke power jiggles?

If you are refering to vibration, they vibrate very little. Even with my big bore it vibrates less that raptors and 400exs I have ridden.

8. Will it wheelie on cammand and in what gear will it come up in stock form?

The 86-87 are very harder to wheelie due to the swing arm size but it still comes up pretty easy if you know how. In stock form they wheelie very easy due to the small carb and pipe set-up.

9. I know its a honda and all but is it as reliable as the new 4 stroke racers?

If you get a good mechanically sound machine they could be almost as reliable as the new four stroke machine. But all 250r are about 14 or more years old and that is hard to come by. I have gotten my 87 to a level of reliability that all I so is change the oil and clean the filter. It's getting kinda boring actually, I like working on it.

10. Is there any main years that i should looking for?

Losts of differenced but they are almost unnoticable.

11. any diffrences in the years?

The 88-89 are the most sought after but they are all good.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

trx250Rob,
Nice 250R [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
By the looks of it you are going to be in the market for some new tires soon [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Honda 250 r right for me?