Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Blew the R up today

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004 | 07:18 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Blew the R up today

Dunno what I did to it, but this is just great. I was at an mx track today. First, I filed a plug. Scared me big time. So I kept trying to keep the RPMS up the rest of the day, came around a corner and it stalled and wouldn't say running. I tried to kick it and felt no compression what so ever. I dunno, but this surely sucks. This is the last thing I wanted to have to do to this thing for a while. I'm thinkin about saying screw it and buy a 400ex motor and making it fit. I kno this kid who races has done it and it runs awesome. But I'm not sure. The guy who had it before me said he had it for about a year and never rebuilt it, so I am thinking it was just a matter of time before it would happen. Oh well....Anyone have adivce lemme kno.

Later guys,
Justin

Old 08-01-2004 | 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

What are you waiting for!? Go pull the cylinder off and see what happend. Send the cylinder off to be ported, and then re-build it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]......

Old 08-02-2004 | 12:54 AM
Range Rover

Sorry to hear about it blowing up, let us know how it turns out. Never discount the 400ex, that is one badass quad and the motor is just bulletproof!

Old 08-02-2004 | 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

i would just fix the r,no big deal.but if you want to sell the motor e-mail me im interested if your going yo do a swap. sorry about the motor though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2004 | 03:02 PM
|
Pro Rider

Well I came down to the conclusion that the top end blew and I figured out why. At the hills at mthe MX track, I would ahve to scream it up them in 1st or second. Now that may have been part of the reason as to why it blew, but I always thought 2 strokes loved to be creamed. I wasn't completely screaming it either. The main reason I think it blew was because the guy I bought it off of siad he had it for around a year and never touched the motor. Who knows how long the guy before him had it and never rebuilt it.

I am gonna be ripping apart my motor tonight and see what needs done to my baby.

I could use some help on prices like

Gaskets?
Piston?
Rings?
Machining?
Anything else that I will maybe need. Think I could get away with it for under 200 bucks? Or no?

Also, I was told that it has a cr250 headgasket. If I have to bore the sleeve, that would require a change in headgaskets. I know cr250 headgaskets add compression but if I would put a regualr 250r headgasket on it, would I notice much difference?

Thanks

Old 08-02-2004 | 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

The whole rebuild should be about 250 bucks.. Pro X makes a really good piston for 250r's

Old 08-02-2004 | 10:02 PM
|
Pro Rider

Ok so I tore her down today, as soon as I took the head off tons of anit freeze came out. The piston had a big chunk missing out of it, the rings were gone, and the cylinder has some grooves in it. I'm hoping I can still bore the sleeve. It's hard to tell how much it has been bored since I don't know what a stock sleeve looks like.

Old 08-02-2004 | 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

why would u put a slower motor in it...?

Old 08-02-2004 | 10:13 PM
|
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ZimRaptor
why would u put a slower motor in it...?
It's something called reliability. But I doubt I am doing it now. This thing took 20 mins to take apart so I think I can handle it every couple years.

Old 08-03-2004 | 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

if the cylinder has grooves in it theres a good chance you will be resleeving.dont sweat it ,its no big deal .get a VERY reputable person to do this!as for the cr250 gasket,it only adds about 15 psi compression but much power.i would put one on it again...cheaper ,more compresssion,more power ,a no brainer!and the pro-x piston,which i also have are supposed to be very good at least from my research.when i rip mine down this winter ,it also will get a cool-head,not fot the cool look but for the dome adjustability(dirt drags next year) GOOD LUCK[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Blew the R up today