Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Data for Foreman 450ES owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 04:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data for Foreman 450ES owners

After purchasing twelve "junked" ATVs; from Yamaha Badger to Polaris Diesel, I've decided to keep two Foreman 450's, 2000 models (I can only drive one at a time, but it sure is more fun having someone along).
All the rest I have restored and sold (to pay for the 2 I'm keeping), but know I'm working on my "for keeps" (and because of electronics they are slower to work on).

If it is confirmed, It is nice to have all the data in one thread, so please let's help ourselves out!
Let me know if I'm right, wrong or falling short...

DIAGNOSTIC CODES
Flashes at gear position indicator:
0 system normal
1 ECU
2 shift switch
3 angle sensor
4 gear position switch
5 ECU motor (defective ECU)
6 ECU failsafe relay
7 ECU voltage converter circuit (defective ECU)
8 angle sensor, control motor or ECU
9 angle sensor or ECU
10 pulse generator
11 speed sensor or ECU
12 gear position switch or ECU

question here is how are they accessed?

RESETTING OIL CHANGE DISPLAY(if any)
Press and hold down both the odo/trip and hours/time buttons for more than 2 seconds.

RESETTING on-board computer RESETTING OR INITIAL SETUP PROCEDURE
I'm all lost here...How is this done?
I understand this is a MUST after dealing with choke or throttle cables, angle sensors, or any of the electronics, and will correct many of the erratic (computer) failures.

ANY OTHER BUTTON PUSHING PROCEDURE MISSING?

Beforehand, thanks for sharing your know-how!

PS: In case you are wondering, in this part of the World (Costa Rica), it ain't easy to get your hands on ATV's service manuals!

Old 09-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums, this is a good first post.
According to my service manual, the codes you gave are for foreman after 01. I dont think the display will blink a diagonistic code for foreman pre 01. You manually have to check voltages with a volmeter.
There is a procedure for clearing the codes out of the es computer, but only for foreman after 01. The computers on pre 01 will reset automaticly when the problem is fixed.
Im not aware of any need to reset the computer after carb work, or any any other work. Or for any procedure for doing it.
anyone else?

Old 09-04-2004, 01:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks hondabuster.
I took the time out and went today "pretending to shop" for ATV's. While I "pretended to ride", I went monkey at pushing button combinations.
Any Foreman before '01 won't take me to a diagnostic screen. Different story for newer ones.
Also made some more search and as you say, Foreman's before '01 don´t have the codes.

What took me to this, is that at this moment I have both machines up & running, doing all they are supposed to do (previously they had been robbed of many parts, electric & mechanical). However, just as for a bunch of other users (from what I read here), after a while, the shifting locks out. (yes, and I've done all the basics)
I pulled both angle sensors out. All they are is a potenciometer (or is that rehostat in english?)...anyway, a variable resistor. Between ends they measure close to 5000 ohms, and center against any end varies the resistance, gradually, from about 460 ohms to the 5000. And when one side goes up in value, the other decreases. The change is smooth (no "noise" as with a dirty volume control).
Therefore, I'm quite sure they are OK, or both are bad in the exact same way :-)

What I am more suspicious of, is the speed sensor. It happens very quickly, but speed reading goes to zero FOLLOWED by the gear indicator going to lines. So I'll probably will try to go with that change ...unless someone knows how to "revive" them.
I seem to believe that at some moment, being in Neutral, I accelerated the engine and actually got a speed reading (I think it was 7-10 mph), or maybe I was dreaming, but if I wasn't, I'd first put my finger on the speed sensor (right around the corner from the oil dipstick).

Have you gentlemen had that happen to you and have NO shifting problems?

On the other hand, just sharing from this end, it seems everyone talks about these ATV's having to have the batteries in excellent shape. Before I put the brand new ones in, right after I figured enough was fixed on them to go for a first test drive (it didn't matter if it didn't shift or even brake for that matter); I was able on both of them to rope start the thing and even make ocasionall shifting (when it let me). The reason I bring it up is cause I think if your battery gave up on you, in the worst of places, out in the boon-dogs (is that how you say it in english?), and in the worst form, this being it shorted out, you could simply disconnect the battery, rope start it, and drive away, shifting & all. (however I would be concerned of voltage going up too high without the battery to hold down the regulators output)

Boy I'm writing a lot...to keep it simple...you guys think it is the speed sensor or have another idea?

Old 09-04-2004, 12:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Im not sure you could just disconnect the battery and still be able to run the motor. I havent tried it, but if its a battery / coil ignition, it needs a complete circuit to have spark. If you disconnect the battery,the circuit will be open.
Have you done the clutch adjustment? , it can lead to shifting problms. Loosen the clutch adjusting screw locknut. Slowly turn the adjusting screw counterclockwise until resistance is felt. Then turn the screw clockwise 1/4 turn and tighten the locknut.
Try adjusting the clutch first and see if things get better,
The speedometer jumping...may just be vibrations, or a loose connection, or faulty speedometer head. If the speedometer works normally while driving...then id assume the speed sensor is good.
Hows the oil in the crankcase? Proper level? measureing the level with out screwing the dipstick back in?
Is the oil, the proper viscosity? 10w 40. Is it non moly oil? ( does the oil have a star burst symbol on it, that says energy conserving?)
I think from 02 up, if the battery dies, or is almost dead, and the motor is running, the es will still work. 01 and before needs a good battery to shift.
I have a service manual, if you have any more questions, ill be glad to let you know what i can.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

English is my 2nd language, so excuse the question, but what is the difference between the speedometer head and the speed sensor?
Thanks for all your help so far!

Old 09-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Its the display unit thats in the headlight pod.