Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

HELP!! 200sx sprocket problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2000, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to long ago I was riding my 200sx with my friends, My chain was too loose for me to be riding but I figured what harm can 1 time do, so I rode. I was riding playing like I usually do when my chain popped off I got it on with no problem and I figured I had better head home when it happened again!!! This time something was really wrong , I could not go 10 feet with out the chain coming off. I noticed the sprocket wobble when I was riding. I put a new D.I.D. chain new sprockets on not 2 months ago and had not had any problems,,,,, until now, I think the sprocket is bent but I am not sure, what can I do?????any coments are appreciated..

Old 08-23-2000, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

take both sprokets off (front and back and lay them on flat surfact to see if they are bent if they are not bent chack your rear axle bearings (probally problem) then finally if they are good check to see in the shaft that the front sproket rides on is bent be putting the machine in nurteal and turning it by hand

john

Old 08-23-2000, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Hey it's my friend mudslinger,

I have never heard of sprockets twisting or bending...you must have got a bad set.

Can you tell us what happens when you trun the wheels, if the chain suddenly stops and gets really tight then theirs a problem, mine does this but it get's better after I oil the chain...I use motorcycle chain oil&lubricant for my chain...I can tell the difference when I spray it on, it can make your chain last longer too.
1 thing- you should never hear the chain turning while you drive...if you do then you need to put some oil on...I put oil on about once a week.

I can't wait to get a new ATV with shaft drive...no more oiling or tightening to do.

Old 08-24-2000, 03:54 AM
Pro Rider

hehe... I love the internet... Shaft drive??? Sweet... You like your 4 by... I like my 2 by...cool... That is the way it should be...

Old 08-24-2000, 05:52 AM
Pro Rider

atv_mam

i would rather have chains....diffs are expensive

.....whats the adjusters on the bike like

they were a poor design and notorous for coming loose

check the condition of the chain and sprockets by comparing to new, check the chain by laying it in a new sprocket, check for movement,premature wear? cheap sprockets?

check the crank case, if a chain binds round the front sprocket you can punch a hole in the side of the engine,...can be a prob, not the end of the world,...alloy welder can fix that for ya

check for wear on the front sprocket shaft, wear in the groves may cause this, front sprocket can move a bit, alot is a problem thought

rear sprocket shouldn't bend unless you drove over a rather large boulder or small building?! (the 200sx is an amazing bike?!) if you bend one of those you have done well

rear sprocket wobble?........what are the rear axle bearings like

good luck

pudding

Old 08-26-2000, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

It is not the whole sprocket that wobbles, it is just an area of about 5 teeth, and I looked at it real close and the sprocket has a few tiny chips on 3 of the teeth but thats about it. By the way can you tell me how to check the rear axle bearings.I have to tighten my chain a little weird , first I have to loosen about 8 bolts and then there are 2 long bolts pointing toward the back that have a bolt on each side if a metal plate type deal and you loosen the one on the back and tighte the one on the front side, one problem, the bolts are all the way back so I guess I am going to have to take out a link, Send me a reply , thanks....

Old 08-26-2000, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think you need a link out...I had the same problem with the bolt moving all the way back...just put extra bolts that just slide on, those act as spacers so the real bolt is further back with spacer bolts in between...do you get what I'm telling you?
Otherwise then you need a link out....do you know how to do that???

Old 08-27-2000, 07:10 AM
Pro Rider

check rear axle bearings? stick it up on blocks (back end)

spin the wheels, checking for irrgularities