Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rancher 350 vs wolverine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rancher 350 vs wolverine?

The Wolverine's lighter weight is its greatest asset over other 4x4's. The weight issue is why I originally considered buying another one but then I remember that I could barely pick up the Wolverine when it was stuck (in snow) so what does it matter if the Eiger is 80lbs heavier? 80lbs is a lot of weight but it also includes larger tires, dual range transmission, part time 4 wheel drive, front and rear racks, larger fenders with far better mud protection, front bumper/brush guard, bigger engine, larger tank, prewired harness for winch, and stock tow hitch.

To be honest, I'm not too impressed with the Rancher specs; single range tranny, less travel and drum brakes, but I consider the Rancher more work orintated. The Eiger is certainly more work orientated than the Wolverine, but I think it is just as sporty, maybe even more so because you can take it out of 4 wheel drive and slide around corners and spin brodies. With the Wolverine, I have some reservations about the long term durability of the Warn 424 kit. I think it might experience problems in freezing weather.

The other thing, is looking at the Eiger, it is built pretty stout. You could save quite a bit of weight just by removing the racks, tow hitch, fenderflares, front bumper/brush guard and install aluminum wheels. Guess it depends on what you want your quad to do.

Old 02-02-2005, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and spin brodies
What does that mean? The Rancher will last a whole lot longer than the wolvy!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Ride it like you STOLE it!!
and when you want the best go honda way!

Old 02-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brodies are the same as spinning donuts, cookies or whipping sh!ttys.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

Ok thanks

Old 02-05-2005, 12:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a '01 Rancher, manual shift, 4x4. It's been and still is a good quad. I've ridden the Wolverine and like it. If Yamaha would have updated the Wolverine, I probally would have bought the Wolverine over the Rancher. The thing I always liked about the Wolverine is the size and light weight of the quad. If you ride alot of tight wood and technical trails you know what I mean. In the mud a light weight quad is better. The bigger beast may have more horsepower but their excessive weight can be a limiting factor. I know tires can make the difference in the mud but I prefer a smaller, nimble, light weight machine. I wish Honda would replace the 350 Rancher motor with the 400 RancherAT motor. Selectable 2wd/4wd and a little more suspension travel would be nice. I also wish Yamaha would update the Wolverine with a fresh motor, say 400-450cc would be nice. Also offer selectable 2wd/4wd and suspension upgrades like a quality spring and shock package. What ever the future holds for the Rancher and Wolverine, I hope Honda and Yamaha will not make any changes to the size and weight of either machine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

What kind of stuff or things can you do on your 01 Rancher and where can you go. I am most likely going to buy an 05 Rancher S 2x4 (ES models have benn known for occasional problems)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2005, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 05' RancherES 2x4, and I love it. Its my old man's, so I have to be careful (well, sort of careful) on it. I installed a superwinch 2500, and it has saved me quite a few times. Here in MS, and I'm sure in GA, there is plenty of MUD, and I occasionally wish it was a 4x4. But then I would miss sliding around every curve. The rancher is so responsive in tight woods and has such a low center of gravity, it is perfect for slipping between trees and up hills. One time I was riding sideways on a hill that was so steep, my friend that was behind me on a big bear flipped and rolled down the hill trying to follow the rancher. You can get really low on the high side of the bike(like sitting on the floorboard) and the rancher will just scale a hill, sideways, but don't get too brave, it will roll. This is the type of riding I like, the technical stuff. Another time my friends and I found a dried up creek bed. They were riding a rubicon and a sportsman 500HO, so I could never hang on the fast trails, but I could while traversing the creek. We would go around a few bends, and run into an obstacle blocking the way, and have to find a way around. So the big bores would climb the steep sandy bank, and the rancher was right behind them, although I usually found myself walking a wheelie at the top of each hill. But, what matters is that the rancher could hang. As far as trouble with the electric shifter, there hasn't been a single thing go wrong. I have around 400 miles on it and would never go back to the manual shift. Unless your just crazy about holding up the shifter, and popping wheelies(thereby trying to destroy the transmission), I would consider the ES model. I just think it is a bitch to get a huge pair of rubber hunting boots under a shifter. Plus, I've had water up to the middle of the gas tank, and my tennis shoes were still dry on the rack. Anyway, just a thought. Good luck on getting the new rancher, you'll love it.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

yes lots of mud spots!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]