Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Looking for owner's thoughts on which bike, Honda or Yamaha, Please read and respond.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2000, 10:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all, Well here goes, First off these are the out the door prices that I can get these bikes for, All are the 2 wheel drive models... 01 Big Bear $ 4,311 with winch; 01 Rancher ES $ 4,551 no winch, dealer say the winch would be another $ 449; 01 Kodiak $ 4,739 with winch; Now this is how I plan to use the bike, Mostly for hunting, no muding to talk about, but I will do some creek riding in about 1 to 2 feet of water. But mostly hard pack stuff. I will be the primary user, but my Wife and son (16) will use it too. Mainly for joy riding. Now this is what I like about each bike, First... 01 Big Bear- I use to have a 98 BB and it was a good bike, so I can only imagine that the New 01 model with the bigger engine (400), disc brakes,fan oil cooler and other changes have made this bike better. 01 Rancher ES- Good reviews, plus Honda's reputation, However, I'm a little concern about the elect. shifting and the dig. readout display (Are they going to last and be dependable?}. 01 Kodiak Auto- Good reviews, liquid cooled, auto trans. (good for the Wife) disc brakes. But again I'm concern about the auto trans. (Is it going to last and be dependable?} My main objective is to get a bike that will last and be dependable and fun to ride, I know that's asking for a lot but I want to try and make the best choice when I buy.
Any comments or other views or thoughts from owners are welcome. Again thanks Foots.

Old 09-30-2000, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

I'd personally go for the less thrills bike.

Electric stuff is just not going to last in water and mud. Its just never going to happen.

I'd say get the Big Bear.

Old 09-30-2000, 02:11 PM
Range Rover

I believe that the Rancher has more to offer than the Big Bear and I believe that was the conclusion in a recent magazine shootout between the two.

I also think that the Kodiak has more to offer than the Rancher. If it wasn't for the belt drive transmission I would suggest going with the Kodiak. If you don't mind the belt drive transmission then go for the Kodiak.

Regarding the ES on the Honda, it is very reliable. There have been a few minor hiccups reported but that wuld be the exception and not the norm.

Before you buy, you should try them all out. Personal preference is what it comes down to.

Temp

Old 09-30-2000, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

I own a Rancher & am very satisfied. I almost purchased the Kodiak, but last year they were new & the dealers weren't dealing on the price. You really only have two choices here the Rancher & the Kodiak.

Ride them both! One has gears but its an electric shift, the other a auto tranny. The Honda 4WD Sur Trac is better than the limited slip on the Yamaha. The Kodiak has more power. Both have a top speed of 50-51mph.

One thing to consider in the purchase is how do you like the dealer?

You are getting a better deal on the Kodiak. It sure would be tough to pass that one up, especially with the winch offer. By the time you put a winch on the Rancher it will have cost more than your Kodiak.

After you ride both of them you will have a better idea.

Old 10-03-2000, 01:38 AM
Elite Pro Rider

bear with me as this i the first time to post on the forum. i am a two finger, no spelling typer,in the latest Northern tool and equipment co. catalog they are offering two superwinches. one is a 1500 pound for 129.99 and the other is a 200 pound for 189.99 plus mounting kits. Thier phone number 1-800-533-5545. Just thought this info might help you decide between the three machine a little easier.

Old 10-03-2000, 06:52 AM
Pro Rider

i hate the es (but that is me)

all the bikes metioned are good

choose your dealer.....ie who you think is the best

test drive and by what suits you

sure its a honda forum......but doesn't mean the honda is the best for your situation

Old 10-03-2000, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

Go with the Kodiak. If you get the Rancher, you will be kicking yourself in the *** when the ES goes out, they are very trouble prone. I had a 99 Big Bear, and the autoclutch is miserable. Yamaha has never had trouble with the auto/belt drive in the Grizz, and my Kodiaks tranny has been trouble free for a year, and I ride it hard. I would go with the Kodiak.

Old 10-03-2000, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all that responded. And thanks for keeping an open mind on the subject. Looks like I'm leaning more to the Kodiak. I will be going to both dealers on Friday to test ride the bikes, I will let you all know what I thought of each one when I get back, so look for follow-up post. Again thanks for the input, this is how this site is suppose to work. Thanks Foots

Old 10-03-2000, 04:02 PM
Pro Rider

The Kodiak or Big Bear would be a good choice. Honda makes a fine mahcine but the es is not for me. The es seems to work well although I've heard about mud problems and hesitation on steep hills. For me, when I take my thumb off to change gears, it feels like you loose a lot of your grip. I too was hesitant about the auto drive of the Kodiak, but now I would never go back. No problems reported after 800 miles and no slippage at all w/water up to seat.