Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450r and the yzf

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 12:42 PM
lbc
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r and the yzf

Thanks for the input! Maybe I can find some nice person to let me test their 450R out on the dunes:0) Ya know to be honest I have not seen as many of them out on the dunes as the YFZ. So in your oppinion the 450R doesn't have the same hard hit kind of 2-stroke feel as the YFZ??

Old 04-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 450r and the yzf

Well, part of the reason you see more YFZ's is that they been out almost a year longer, also they have got a lot more hype than the 450R. Plus to be honest, this is just my opinion, I think the more time goes by, the more the 450R will shine. People are already starting to figure out how to make em rip! This is the 450R's second year and they have the top 2 spots in the GNC MX series.

Yes, the YFZ has more of a 2-stroke feel. Like I said, they put out relatively the same "amount" of power just differently. Just because Im 6'3 I would probably pick the 450R, but if I was smaller I would have a really tough time deciding.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Default 450r and the yzf

BTW, if anyone tells you one is much better then the other, don't listen to them cause they are ignorant and don't have much experience.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] It pretty much is just preference.

Old 04-21-2005, 01:18 PM
lbc
Range Rover
Default 450r and the yzf

thanks again! I have some decisions to make[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Like I said maybe I can get a test ride of a 450R. I mean I always have been partial to Honda obviously. All I have ever ridden until now is Honda 1st a 250EX then a 400EX then a 250R. I think both the YFZ and 450R are great looking bikes. I think the Honda is a little cheaper right?

Old 04-21-2005, 01:21 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Default 450r and the yzf

No problem[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Yeah there cheaper by a few hundred bucks, depending on where you go. Im sure someone will let you try there quad, especially being female, LOL. If your 250R is nice, you should be able to get plenty out of it

Old 04-21-2005, 02:06 PM
PLG
Weekend Warrior
Default 450r and the yzf

Shure YZF came first on the market... and the 450 motor is the same as in the motocross bike. No modification...

I heard that Honda took its motor frome the CRF and modified it to get it in the quad. This explain the fact that the 450r has not the same amount of modification available etc.

I think... Is it thr truth ?

PLG

Old 04-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Default 450r and the yzf

Well Im not sure exactly what you just said. But yes the YFZ engine is closer to the same specs as the bike version, not the exact same. The 450R had more changes than the YFZ engine, the 450R also has a longer skirt unlike the YFZ. That will play a big factor in reliability down the road.

As for mods, they will both pretty much have the same amount available.

Old 04-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Range Rover
Default 450r and the yzf

I agree, both 450's are very similar. At the risk of sounding ignorant, I would still venture to say that the yfz is much better. Of course this opinion is probably biased by my personal riding style, but the two bikes just don't compare to me. In oregon, the trx is about $400 dollars cheaper than the yfz's list price, but when you're talking about spending in the seven thousand range, $400 isn't really a big deal, to me at least. I'd rather get waht I want and plunk down the extra 400. But like many other people have been saying, they are both great bikes, and the honda has it's benefits. For instance, it is much more comfortable to sit on! If you like the way honda's ride (the 400ex etc.) you might be happier with the trx 450, because I have found that the ride is very similar in their whole four stroke line. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you get. The more I ride my yfz the more I love it. It fits me perfectly, and I couldn't be happier. As to dependability, I have the three year warranty, and when that is up, I'll probably sell it and buy a new one (hopefully they have a 6 speed by then!!!). I don't trust recreational vehicles enough to own them without a warranty no matter what their brand! Guessing from the fact that you own a 250r, you probably aren't as worried as me about the warranty thing, so you might not care. Anyway, you'll get people from both sides saying what bike is better, and I am guilty of that myself. The fact of the matter is, they are both good bikes. I couldn't be happier than I am with my yfz. Have fun riding!

Old 04-21-2005, 04:34 PM
lbc
Range Rover
Default 450r and the yzf

Well as far as comfort I don't spend alot of time in the seat[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] But I do hear what you are saying. Going from Honda to Honda would probably feel like a more "natural" transition for me being that I have always been a Honda rider, but ohhhh...............the YFZ is VERY nice. You know sometimes I think life would be easier if I didn't have all these decisions to make:0 Have you ridden the 450R. How does it compare to the stance of say the 250R or 400EX?

Old 04-21-2005, 04:49 PM
lbc
Range Rover
Default 450r and the yzf

We just did a bunch of mods to our YFZ. We went with the FMFQ, K&N, valve timing change back to original (they set it at factory for California emissions) and a rev limiter. This bike is awesome. Pulls the front end up through every gear and still has more infact I am looking for another gear[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Exactly why I am thinking of selling my 250R to get a YFZ. The one we have now is technically my husbands[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I was like you wondering about the 450R. I'd like to ride one thats been modified so I could really do comparison shopping. Hmmm..any one have an R they would let me ride in the dunes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: 450r and the yzf