Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450r and the yzf

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 01:51 PM
lbc
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r and the yzf

That is what I have on my 250R an LRD pipe, but had to put an FMF silencer on it because I got ticketed in the OR dunes for being at 103 decibles with the LRD silencer on. For the YFZ I want a good mid range pipe. I am not interested in a lot of "racing" so I don't care about top end speed. I like to do technical hills and trails and be able to climb most anything without feeling like I am loosing power at the top of the hill. But judging from what I have felt so far on the one we have I don't think loosing power is an issue[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] That is what I was so impressed with the YFZ about. Being able to let of the gas and hit it again while climbing a hill and it just picks right back up again and with power to boot...........it feels very similar to a 2-stroke in that application!

Old 04-24-2005, 01:58 PM
lbc
Range Rover
Default 450r and the yzf

You know how to get scratches clean on a white bike? Soft Scub with bleach[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It takes all the dirt out of the scratches and you can't even see them anymore[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I have white plastic on my 250R.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:01 PM
lbc
Range Rover
Default 450r and the yzf

Soft Scrub with bleach cleans your white plastic right up. Can't even see the scratches after you use it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have white plastic on my 250R it works wonders. Plastic looks new all the time. I mean its not as shiny as it was when it was new because of where my boots hit and stuff but it looks pretty close to new! I agree with you on white plastic it looks nice way longer than colored. That is why I will have a red and white YFZ[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-24-2005, 04:57 PM
Range Rover
Default 450r and the yzf

is soft scrub some kind of cleaner...or do you scrub with bleach softly...cant get the dirt out of my scratches on the ol' 250x....

Old 04-24-2005, 06:28 PM
lbc
Range Rover
Default 450r and the yzf

Soft Scub Cleaner with bleach. You know the all purpose cleaner that you can by at the grocery store. Soft Scrub is the brand name. You can find it in the cleaning isle at the grocery store. Then take a sponge get it wet put a little soft scrub and rub away then rinse it off. Let it sit awhile if you have stubborn dirt stains. Make sure you use the soft side of the sponge or you will scratch you plastic more. It works great[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Range Rover
Default 450r and the yzf

thnx i will have to try that....

Old 04-25-2005, 09:55 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 450r and the yzf

Hey thanx for the idea lbc! I need to do something, my Z is white and it is starting to have a dirty look from dirt stuck in the scratches.

Im going to try and find some on my lunch break. Do they have it at Walmart? What color is the bottle?

Old 04-25-2005, 11:22 AM
lbc
Range Rover
Default 450r and the yzf

Yes the should have it at Walmart. The bottle is white. Just look for it in the cleaning section. "Soft Scrub with bleach".

Old 04-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default 450r and the yzf

i will have to try that as well. but my plastic isnt that bad right now. ive tried armorall and that helps

Old 04-25-2005, 08:21 PM
Range Rover
Default 450r and the yzf

This is an interesting thread....once you sort thru all the opinions and just listen to the solid experience, and listen to the comparisions by those who have ridden both 450s.

First....dark plastic is definitely harder to maintain than white. And when the blue bends, you have white creases that will never go away. This from real experience.

Second.....Honda has usually done a much better job of counter-balanceing their engines over the last 20 years, and they have enjoyed smoother performance and better reliability because of this. More vibration from the Yamaha engines has caused problems over the years...The Banshee is a perfect example of vibration causing maintenance problems. Honda put more design time and engine weight into their counterbalanced engine....so they came out almost a year later than the YFZ, but running much smoother. This will ultimately prove out to be a more reliable engine than the YFZ450. JMO, based on 20 years ecxperience.

The YFZ is a rough riding race machine, hard hitting and fastest in a straight out drag. The seat is a board, the shocks definitely have to be softened, and the thumb throttle may also need help. Plan to stay on the pegs most of the time. They tend to run hot, especially on the right leg. Then you have that vibration....but some don't mind it at all. Great quad. This based on riding 3 of them.

The 450R is a smooth, broad power band...much like the 250R but not as hard hitting. More comfortable to ride. Ergos are typical Honda....excellent. You definitely need to add the Cam Kit, but sounds like you "build" your quads anyway. Started first kick for me every time. 450R racers are just now"catching up" with the YFZ headstart, as Honda just won at Glen Helen. Might consider waiting until this fall as Honda is supposed to put electric start on the 2006 models. Great quad. This based on riding 3 of them.

Most of these replies are dead on.....find out which of these great quads fits your needs best, and go with it. I have ridden both of these many times. Either of these will suit your needs (after mods) based on what you have said in this thread. Try to hold on to that 250R, still the best all-around sport quad ever built.

Have fun and ride safe!

Quick Reply: 450r and the yzf