Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

have a BIG problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 10:03 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Default have a BIG problem

It is kind of hard to believe that the engine had no oil in it and sounded normal. How long of a ride did you go on after adding new oil?

Old 05-31-2005, 10:04 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, i didnt hear it making any noises. it was only about an hour and a half

Old 05-31-2005, 10:19 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

That is a huge bummer. you need to get it to the dealer and find out what the damage is. I cant imgine it will be minor, there is a bunch if expensive parts in a 450r.

Old 05-31-2005, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

firtst off dont listen 2 the dealer when they tell you what kind of oil 2 get they usually dont know there just trying 2 get you 2 buy there stuff after you get your problem worked out gt 10w-40 oil!! and never use synthetic oil its no good in atv or dirt bike motors iv seen the problem 2 many times with that oil happened 2 a couple of my friends and they spent some money getting the thing fixedd again. you will probably need a new piston and mabe your head redone!! would it kick over? and act like it wonted 2 start? if so your piston is not seized up unless your transmission is shot if thats the case you have a hudge problem just go 2 the dealer and tell them what happened but dont tell them there was no iol in the bike just tell them it stopped runing after riding it and you dont know whats wrong and you got it started once then it shut off oh make sure you got oil in it when you take it 2 the dealer!!

hope they fix it and that solves your problem

Old 05-31-2005, 02:52 PM
Range Rover

thanks 250x. the thing wouldnt kick at all. ill make sure it has oil in it. any other recommendations for when i take it to the dealer?? did they have warrantees on theirs? do you think this will be covered?

Old 05-31-2005, 03:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: TL450R
thanks 250x. the thing wouldnt kick at all. ill make sure it has oil in it. any other recommendations for when i take it to the dealer?? did they have warrantees on theirs? do you think this will be covered?
Most warrenties last 6months unless you buy the extended warrenty. Sorry to hear about your problem and I hope you get it cleared up fast so you can get back to ripping on your R. Eh- I just looked at your mods, its unlikely that it will be covered by any warrenty. Sorry again. Hope I'am wrong!! Let us know what the outcome is.

Old 05-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry about your engine, but if I was a betting man, I would say be prepared to spend some money!! Also, if it seized due to low oil, I doubt you will be fooling anyone by putting fresh in now.

What Recon Ranger was trying to say, is buy the 2-stroke style gearbox oil, not the premix oil that goes in the gas. The beauty of Honda having seperate oil for both the engine and the tranny is that you can use a heavier, motorcycle specific, tranny oil in your tranny and a lighter car type oil in your engine. Regular oil from your local Wally World will eat clutches for breakfast, but is fine for motorcyclle engines if it never touches the clutch.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

but still you always could give it a try ok. as for the modds i know they wont cover it. my friend did what i said and they covered everything hole redone topend and trans. good luck just say you dont know what happened just wont kick over for some reason oh about the warrenty my uncles 400ex came with a 5 year warrenty right when he bought it no extended one as for the 450 i dont know

1 more thing if they dont cover tear the motor down get the head redone and get a new piston

Old 05-31-2005, 05:51 PM
Range Rover

well i am going to put some used oil in it so it doesnt look like a just did it to make it look like it wasnt oil. its worth a try. i mean i might as well give it a shot. how much is it to get the head redone? i bought the 5 year warrantee extra. it was like $600. so it is still under warrantee. the thing is only 6 months old

Old 05-31-2005, 11:23 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When mine was new, it leaked oil. There was a puddle under the machine every morning. It was the drain plug, just as it came from the factory! I think there was something under the gasket, like a metal fileing or something. I did an oil change after 1 hr of break-in riding anyway (like I do on any new engine), so I cleaned everything and it has been fine ever since.

Just for the record, there have been a couple of comments about the transmission getting fried. So, it is clear from those, that a lot of folks don't realize that THE 450 HAS SEPERATE OIL FOR THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION (God bless Honda!). Losing engine oil should not effect the trans.

And where does everybody get the idea that Honda's own HRC kit voids the warranty??? I bought mine with it installed by the dealer, and got the 5 year extended warranty.

And one more thing, that red light is a HIGH TEMPERATURE LIGHT not a low oil light, so don't blame it for not coming on.