Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Whats the best aftermarket thing you can put on your Utility ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best aftermarket thing you can put on your Utility ATV?

I was thinking of many things but being I have 2004 Honda Rubicon that does not have 2 wheel 4 wheel option, I was wondering if it pays to buy one?
I can get one for $220.00....is that the best price? Also has any body had any problems with it and how long have you had it?
The only thing I was wondering is, I'm not sure how much I will us it....I drove another ATV in 2 wheel drive and it seemed to be a bit squirmy to me, does anybody else feel this way?

The other thing I was thinking of was a 4 wheel locker for the Rubicon...........Has anybody installed one and how do you like it?

Or whats your favorite add ons?

Old 07-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

The best add-on so far would be the Warn424 you won't be disappointed.Had mine on for 2 years with no problems,there almost bullet proof.I found e-bay to be the cheapest or your dealer may have some promo on.The next aftermarket addition would be to get some good tires, stock ones are junk(most of them) I went with the mud bugs which is a light mud tire and wears excellent.

No experience with a locker yet!!

Framer

2002 Honda 350ES

Old 07-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

My favorite acc is hand and thumb warmers, on a cold day, they cant be beat.

The rubi has a very good front diff. Its a torque sensing diff, and as long as you keep both front tires on the ground...youll have 4wd. I wouldnt recommend a locker unless you really want to do some serious muddin, especially on a quad that is full time 4wd. If you get one, make sure it will be a differential, like a detroit locker, and not a spool. Spools are only good on dedicated mudders, they are very unpleasant on a trail machine.

The disconnect is a popular device, for getting 2wd. If you like doing powerslides and screwing around doing donuts and such, then youll need to disconnect the front.

Old 07-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

While the reviews have been great for the 4-2-4, I just don't need it. Don't like the cheezy **** either. I've seen the traxlock with the driveshaft on Ebay for $300-400. But still, full time and what people describe as a heavy steeing just doesn't bother me that much to justify the cost and effort.

A friend of mine gets stuck often as he forgets to switch it back to engaged until its too late.

I love my handwarmers, but I think tires are the single biggest change you can make to your ATV.

Old 07-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Do not get the highlifter unlocker, it is horrible. It is designed like crap and performs even worse. After one month the shifting yolk kept sliding off the notch, from getting grinded down by the friction of it being held in 2wd (it naturally wants to go to 4wd). They replaced this tiny pathetic part with a bigger beefier version. After less than a month the same problem occurred. If I were you I would just remove the front diff and drive shafts, but that might damage the drive cups.

Old 07-30-2005, 03:49 AM
Pro Rider

for a rubicon, 27' ITP 589's on C series wheels, you need spacers for the backs otherwise the left rubs on the exhaust heat shield, I had them on my 2003 Rubi and they worked on incredible levels

Old 07-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider

589s have awesome traction, but be aware they ride like a ROCK and handle like crap

Old 07-30-2005, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

id go with the 26" itp 589 ms if you go with those tires the 27" would be too much tire for a rubicon. i think tires then detroit gearless locker would be next

Old 07-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

For your Rubicon it is undoubtedly a Warn 424. Takes away the hard steering and allows you to slide your rear end around a little if you don't have really meaty tires. I made the mistake of thinking I could fishtail it really well with Vamps[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]The best aftermarket item for any utility four-wheeler in general though has got to be a winch.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:15 AM
Pro Rider

589's handle like a dream, they have bump steer problems though, my only fault with them