Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005 | 01:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

No, the TRX90 parts cost more.

Old 12-18-2005 | 02:08 AM
Trailblazer
Default EX or Z

I have recently bought an '03 KFX400 and the reliability is an issue. The rear axle bearings went out with little ride time on them. I seem to have dodged the bullet with the frame cracking issue, no signs of that problem yet. Also the new Z400 ('05 & '06) and it's clones have a major problem with the coolant eating through the magnesium cover and dumping coolant in the oil....ouch! This really isn't a dependability issue but adjusting the chain is a nightmare! Go look on Ebay and there are plenty of stock swingarms for sale. Looking over my KFX I noticed the gear shift lever coming out of the crank case seemed to have some play in the housing, I thought it was wore but compared it to a new KFX and it had the same play. Bottom line is fit and finish on the Zuki is no match for a Honda. The issue at hand specifically for the Ex is poor stock shocks. But for the money you'll spend replacing the Z's swingarm, fixing the coolant damage problem and other problems (frame problems if you buy an '03) compared to the EX you can buy some better shocks. Before you bash my post remember you're on a Honda forum. I'm not brand loyal but I have owned several bikes and Honda always did the best, that's just how it is.

Old 12-18-2005 | 02:51 AM
Trailblazer
Default EX or Z

It's called Suzuki loyality. EX; better handling, Suspension; Z with it's better stock shocks, Speed and acceleration; Ex on the bottom end Z on the top. DOHC vs. SOHC; what's the use?, Liquid cooling; I can't get an EX hot, get a stick in your radiator or puncture a hose and see how you like it. Looks; EX! Price; EX is cheaper ( go to abernathyonline and check out those EX prices). All dealers in my area have EX's cheaper. Only blind Suzuki loyalty can explain why someone would buy a Z over an EX.

Old 12-18-2005 | 03:13 AM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

The Z is alittle quicker out of the box but that seems to be about it. I ride with a lot of buddies that have them and they seem to be wrenching on them way way way more than the EX guys I ride with. Personally, just from what I have seen I would go with the EX but thats my opinion.

Old 12-18-2005 | 03:24 AM
Range Rover
Default EX or Z

Originally posted by: midnite
Ha ha, thats funny. Choosing a quad based on the price of replacement parts, that you may never buy. If thats such an issue in choosing a quad, I'm sure replacement parts for trx 90 are cheaper than a 400ex. So using that logic, trx90 is better than 400ex. LOL
Well That must mean that you either got a huge budget for racing, OR you are not a serious racer that must have enough cash flow for long distance transportation, race fees, food, spare parts, and replacement parts. Racing is ultra expensive as it is, and if your machine is inexpensive to buy parts for that is a big help. Let's face it, if you race and do well, you will wear out and break stuff.....period. Now, if the machine gets you to every finish and is cheap to get new stuff for, you are headed in a good direction for some wins.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2005 | 10:24 AM
Trailblazer
Default EX or Z

I have owned a 400ex since 99. My brother just bought a 06 KFX400. Don't worry about the power between the 2 there is not enough difference to matter, ex a little better bottom z a little better top. In my opinion though the ex should be quite a bit cheaper than the z, if its not I would go with the z. However there is another reason I would not touch an ex right now. I am ticked off at how Honda is trying to make everything look like the 450r. The ex is a classic 1 of a kind look and still looks sharp today, minor restyling would have been fine but dont make it look like another quad in the same lineup.

Old 12-18-2005 | 02:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

Originally posted by: KyJoe340
, Liquid cooling; I can't get an EX hot, get a stick in your radiator or puncture a hose and see how you like it. All dealers in my area have EX's cheaper.
Get a stick in your oil cooler and see how you like it. All dealers in your area have ex's cheaper. And for good reason.

Old 12-18-2005 | 03:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

Originally posted by: RIDER11X
Originally posted by: midnite
Ha ha, thats funny. Choosing a quad based on the price of replacement parts, that you may never buy. If thats such an issue in choosing a quad, I'm sure replacement parts for trx 90 are cheaper than a 400ex. So using that logic, trx90 is better than 400ex. LOL
Well That must mean that you either got a huge budget for racing, OR you are not a serious racer that must have enough cash flow for long distance transportation, race fees, food, spare parts, and replacement parts. Racing is ultra expensive as it is, and if your machine is inexpensive to buy parts for that is a big help. Let's face it, if you race and do well, you will wear out and break stuff.....period. Now, if the machine gets you to every finish and is cheap to get new stuff for, you are headed in a good direction for some wins.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I doubt any SERIOUS racer cares if new fenders are $100 cheaper for an inferior bike. Serious racers want the best race machine posible. Why run second, just to save $100 on fenders. Regardless of that, there seems to be alot of misinformation on this board. Nothing new for a honda board. This info is from the march 05 dirt wheels z400 vs 400ex. Quote "4 steel gussets were added to the frame, and an aluminum plate was added to the rear sub frame. One pair of gussets were placed in the problem area directly below the shock towers." end quote. Frame cracking is no longer an issue. Quote "In recent tests we have shown that an aftermarket exaust does wonders for the z400 while only slightly helping the honda" end quote. That is where the dohc vs sohc comes in. Quote "the suziki was always ahead, it accelerates quicker, wins all the drag races and is much more comfortable to ride" end quote. Quote " they both turn as well as any trail quad out there. In fact the frame geometry is very similar on both." end quote . Quote " Unfortunately for honda, it's upgrades don't really make the quad any better for real world riding, the improvements are hardly worth the $500 price increase" end quote. Quote "for 2005 the z400 smokes the 400ex in this competetion" end quote. You know, if honda made the z400, and suzuki made 400ex, all you honda heads would be talking about what an inferior machine the 400ex is. Brand loyality is stupid. When I consider buying a bike, I consider what the bike IS, not who makes it.

Old 12-18-2005 | 06:07 PM
Trailblazer
Default EX or Z

"Get a stick in your oil cooler and see how you like it" . The Z has an external oil tank also, duh. "EX is cheaper for a reason". Are you kidding me, several have posted they can buy the Z cheaper is that for some reason?
I do take into consideration what I read in the magazines but I don't take it as gospel especially when I have had a chance to ride both machines and make up my own mind. Truth is between these two machines it is very close but I prefer the EX, why is that so hard for you to except? I don't race if I did I would buy a 450.
Overall performance and handling, etc is close between these two IMO. Being a trail rider, Honda reliability tips the scales for me. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the Z but my '03 has had extensive problems. The new Z's coolant problems I posted earlier puts a cramp on your ride right off the showroom floor, ouch.
I don't race now but I used to and I never liked making up time screaming across a field in top gear, the Z is better for that just not my style. Cutting through the woods in lower gears is where the EX is best, IMO my KFX is "tippy" ( for lack of a better word- top heavy- comes up on 2 wheels) where as the EX is stable, turns better and with less effort.
Bottom line is they are both good bikes but I prefer the EX for the reasons I listed, I'm not telling anyone it's better or worse. Listing the criteria that is important to me, performance, reliability, maintenance issues and manufacturing defects then doing the math the EX is the bike for me.

Old 12-18-2005 | 06:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

[quote]
Originally posted by: KyJoe340
"Get a stick in your oil cooler and see how you like it" . The Z has an external oil tank also, duh. "EX is cheaper for a reason". Are you kidding me, several have posted they can buy the Z cheaper is that for some reason?
I do take into consideration what I read in the magazines but I don't take it as gospel especially when I have had a chance to ride both machines and make up my own mind. Truth is between these two machines it is very close but I prefer the EX, why is that so hard for you to except? I don't race if I did I would buy a 450.
Overall performance and handling, etc is close between these two IMO. Being a trail rider, Honda reliability tips the scales for me. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the Z but my '03 has had extensive problems. The new Z's coolant problems I posted earlier puts a cramp on your ride right off the showroom floor, ouch.
I don't race now but I used to and I never liked making up time screaming across a field in top gear, the Z is better for that just not my style. Cutting through the woods in lower gears is where the EX is best, IMO my KFX is "tippy" ( for lack of a better word- top heavy- comes up on 2 wheels) where as the EX is stable, turns better and with less effort.
Bottom line is they are both good bikes but I prefer the EX for the reasons I listed, I'm not telling anyone it's better or worse. Listing the criteria that is important to me, performance, reliability, maintenance issues and manufacturing defects then doing the math the EX is the bike for me.[quote]

YOU were the one saying ex's are cheaper in your area. I was backing you up....................Umm there is a difference between an OIL TANK {which z and ex both have} and an OIL COOLER {which ex has}. Duh.......... The ex isn't junk, and if I could find a killer deal on one used, I'd consider buying one on it's merrits {not because it's a honda}, but If someone is buying brand new, they are screwing themselves by buying a ex over a z. The z isn't tippy. 660raptor is, and you can find 10,000 posts about it on the yamaha board. Not 1 in the suzuki board about z being tippy. Ex and z have the same frame geometry sooo.......... If the ex fits your needs so be it. That doesn't make it the better over all machine. You know, using a station wagon to go grocery shoping might suit someone's needs, that doesn't make it better than a ferreri.