Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

some one help honda recon wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some one help honda recon wont start

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ok i have a honda recon 250 2003 model i took a guys advice on how to get it going and it worked but after a half an hour of riding it started to sputter and died instantly i could keep the motor running when i give it gas but only in nutrel once i put it in gear it would struggle to stay going and die if you have any idea on how to fix it please tell

Old 01-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

If it is like what happened to my recon after a little while of just running it like it is, you can gradually pull the choak up and it will slowly run better with the choak to the point where you can ride it. Eventualy while riding it with the choak it will again start to spit and sputter, and then you can push the choak out and it will run just as it always has, acording to my calculations this is caused from trash in the carb and cloging the jets, so when you pull the choak it lessens the amount of air getting in the motor so it will run again.
So your problem should ligh in the carb.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have a honda and it has the same problem and it isn't the carb because i already cleaned it and tried that but i think it is something to do with the spark plug wires or some thing to do with that did you figure it out because mine does that when i go through water

Old 11-05-2006, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

Well my neighbor has an 03 recon and it did the same thing sputtered and such so I took the carb completely apart to inspect over it to make sure the slide and everything was working properly...Everything seemed fine until I got to the bowl of the carb and the jets were clogged up pretty good...so i cleaned off the jets makeing sure I can see holes through them...cleaned the needle off and sprayed cleaner in the carb making sure all of it was gone and wiped it down good...cleaned the airfilter...new sparkplug and oil just reg maintanance since it was due and man it runs like a beast now

Old 11-06-2006, 08:08 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would bet clogged up carb. Clean the carb and pay particular attention to the jets, and take the fuel tank off, dump the old gas, and clean the tank out real good. That's where your dirt is most coming from..........

Old 02-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default some one help honda recon wont start"></title><script src=

I have a 97 recon 250 four trax. It will not start unless you jump start it off of a car or something. We replaced the battery and that did nothing. You can ride it all day long as long as you don't shut it off. Can any one help?