Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda extended warrenty...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006 | 11:17 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Honda extended warrenty...

Those of you who went ahead and purchased the extended warrenty through Honda, are you happy that you did??? Is this something that you guys recommend and what are the options considering how long and price. I am just trying to get an idea because my dealership offered me 42 months for $449. Just wondering if this is competitive since I have no idea the going rate and they seem to be negotionable.
Thanks!!!

Old 01-13-2006 | 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

i got one on mine. mine was $500 for 3 more years. your deal for 3.5 yrs is better.

I figured why not. paid 6k for a bike and the standard 6month wasnt worth taking a chance on in case the engine messed up. that 450r engine or anything on that bike (or any new bike) is expensive to have honda work on or replace! arguably they could always threaten to not cover something, but honda seems to be pretty fair about things. hopefully, i will never need to use the warranty but im gald its there- just in case. it's been a good, reliable bike though.

a plus with the warranty is that it is transferrable if you sell the bike.

Old 01-13-2006 | 08:36 AM
xtc
Range Rover

Your question is dependent on how mechanical you are.When you buy warranties your betting that the quad will break and need major repair.Also,read the fine print which is something like "this warranty does not cover repairs caused by abuse(?),submersion in water or mud,"etc..which basically leaves you riding across the front lawn all day.Needless to say that it doesnt cover basic upkeep(oil,tires)so in the next 42 months if your quad has a major defect(and the dealership doesnt try to blame it on your riding habits or improper maintenance)then the warranty is good BUT,I would highly recommend having all the scheduled service done at the dealership so they have records in case you do have problems and need to use the warranty.Almost forgot to add that the dealership has a mark-up when selling you a warranty,You may get a better deal going directly to honda corp yourself.

Old 01-13-2006 | 09:59 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Depends on your machine. If it is one of the old time tested machines, I wouldn't get it. You just don't need it.

I did get it on the 450R. It was the first year for that engine, and these engines are high strung and the dirt bike engines have a reputation for funny things happening, so I am hedging my bets. In two years though, I have not had to use it!

Old 01-13-2006 | 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought the 3 yr extended Honda Care warranty with the purchase of my new 2003 Rincon in October of 2002.

Early in October of 2005 while I was installing front and rear brakes on my Rinny,I noticed the front wheels had some play in them. My outer tie rod ends had some play in them. When I replaced the rear disk brakes I also noticed some play in the right rear wheel bearing.

Knowing I still had a few weeks left on my extended warranty, I took it into my dealership to have these parts replaced under the extended warranty. A week later they called and said the parts were worn and not defective and therefore these parts would not be covered.DUH--I asked the dealership WTF good is an extended warranty good for because ANY part that has ANY movement to it,is subjected to WEAR over a period of time.

Make SURE you get a LIST of all COVERED parts under this warranty or dont buy it.

Old 01-13-2006 | 04:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE
I bought the 3 yr extended Honda Care warranty with the purchase of my new 2003 Rincon in October of 2002.

Early in October of 2005 while I was installing front and rear brakes on my Rinny,I noticed the front wheels had some play in them. My outer tie rod ends had some play in them. When I replaced the rear disk brakes I also noticed some play in the right rear wheel bearing.

Knowing I still had a few weeks left on my extended warranty, I took it into my dealership to have these parts replaced under the extended warranty. A week later they called and said the parts were worn and not defective and therefore these parts would not be covered.DUH--I asked the dealership WTF good is an extended warranty good for because ANY part that has ANY movement to it,is subjected to WEAR over a period of time.

Make SURE you get a LIST of all COVERED parts under this warranty or dont buy it.

i think Honda should have covered that for you. that's BS for them to do what they did to you.

oh my God! for the first time in 5 years we agree on something Muddy! LOL!!

~MT[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2006 | 04:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE
I bought the 3 yr extended Honda Care warranty with the purchase of my new 2003 Rincon in October of 2002. Early in October of 2005 while I was installing front and rear brakes on my Rinny,I noticed the front wheels had some play in them. My outer tie rod ends had some play in them. When I replaced the rear disk brakes I also noticed some play in the right rear wheel bearing.Knowing I still had a few weeks left on my extended warranty, I took it into my dealership to have these parts replaced under the extended warranty. A week later they called and said the parts were worn and not defective and therefore these parts would not be covered.DUH--I asked the dealership WTF good is an extended warranty good for because ANY part that has ANY movement to it,is subjected to WEAR over a period of time.Make SURE you get a LIST of all COVERED parts under this warranty or dont buy it.
We see this all to often. Everything has a life expectancy and it's under the discression of the dealer to replace any part, defective or worn. Unless you have a good relationship with the your dealer and you know they will take care of you, you are throwing warranty money in the trash can.

Old 01-13-2006 | 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I dont expect certain wearable items like oil,brake pads,air filters ect to be covered,but for Honda not to cover tie rods and wheel bearings because they were worn and not defective is a waste of WHY we buy an extended warranty for in the first place.

With that said, any warranty that wont cover most worn parts would be rendered useless after a few weeks of your purchase because as I said before,if a part has any movement at all,in due time,it will be subjected to wear.

If these extended warranty's would LIST the covered parts,we would'nt have to go thru this garbage.