Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Warn 1.5 on an 05 Rancher 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn 1.5 on an 05 Rancher 4x4

Warn 1.5 is plenty for the Rancher. I just installed a Warn 2.5 on my 06 Rancher ES about a month ago. Haven't used it to get un-stuck yet but have done lots of plowing.

The Warn mount places the winch way up in the frame. The hole pattern for the winch on the mount fit all the winches I tested on it. Personally, I'd stick the $49 jobs on both your's and the wife's. I had found a Warn 2.5 knockoff that was only $179 complete with contactor, wiring and handlbar remote. Only problem was that the contacts on the winch motor were located front and back instead of top and bottom, creating a clearance issue with the back of the headlight enclosure. In retrospect, I should have worked to make that solution fit instead of going for the Warn but oh well...

Old 02-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

my winch is the same 49.00 dollar deal as rob, i think i have had mine the longest though of anyone on this forum, my winch has seen everything , being submerged for 5 minutes, frozen solid, everything and works fine, i just run mine in and out everyonce and while

Old 02-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Range Rover

bill do you have any pictures of it?

50 dollars seems so good for a winch.. that will last

Old 02-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jonnyyellow
bill do you have any pictures of it?

50 dollars seems so good for a winch.. that will last
yep these were when i installed it, you have to make a custom mount for i though, i just used some angle iron, i bought the fairlead seperate
Clicky

Old 02-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Here is the link to the winch at Harbor Freight.

$49.00 winch

Ok it's not the best winch for for $49 it'll get you out. Plus if you still have ATV power that can help get you out. Personally I never go anywhere where my ATV can get submerged. Cable is 25' I think. Really if you are using your winch that much maybe your doing something wrong. Going through the mud is one thing, getting stuck all the time can't be that fun or be that good on the 4-wheeler. But I can put mine on the front or back. The contactor was about $65 from Ramsey, the quick connectors about $5 each from Grainger. See if you have a Harbor Freight local. Print the ad and if they stock the winch you can get it for the web or catalog price. I have 2 and they are all wired the same. I can pur either on either atv, plus I could even run with 2. I love options.

Oh and if you sign up for the catalogs at the Harbor Freight web site, usually the catalogs have a free shipping coupon or something. Shipping is slow so be patient. But the return policy is a good one to, don't like it, send it back, no questions. Use the live chat to check on stock before ordering. Sometimes things are back ordered, they will send you a postcard but I usually check with the live chat first. Pretty simple.

Thanks for the comments on the web site. I hope it helps or gives folks ideas to think about.

Rob

Old 02-16-2006, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: robnhouston
Here is the link to the winch at Harbor Freight.

$49.00 winch

Ok it's not the best winch for for $49 it'll get you out. Plus if you still have ATV power that can help get you out. Personally I never go anywhere where my ATV can get submerged. Cable is 25' I think. Really if you are using your winch that much maybe your doing something wrong. Going through the mud is one thing, getting stuck all the time can't be that fun or be that good on the 4-wheeler. But I can put mine on the front or back. The contactor was about $65 from Ramsey, the quick connectors about $5 each from Grainger. See if you have a Harbor Freight local. Print the ad and if they stock the winch you can get it for the web or catalog price. I have 2 and they are all wired the same. I can pur either on either atv, plus I could even run with 2. I love options.

Oh and if you sign up for the catalogs at the Harbor Freight web site, usually the catalogs have a free shipping coupon or something. Shipping is slow so be patient. But the return policy is a good one to, don't like it, send it back, no questions. Use the live chat to check on stock before ordering. Sometimes things are back ordered, they will send you a postcard but I usually check with the live chat first. Pretty simple.

Thanks for the comments on the web site. I hope it helps or gives folks ideas to think about.

Rob

im doing something wrong because i get stuck LOL, dude your obviously not trying hard enough if you never get stuck, there has been times, where i have 2 quads pulling, me 4x4 and 2 guyz pushing to get me out of places, guess i just play harder then you. The cable is 50 feet long, not 25. i bought the winch to use it, not for it to look pretty. LOL and fun, oh man some of my greatest times are in the mud, especially when u just saw 4 guyz fail the mud run then you make it, oh it makes it all worth while, and my only issue being in mud and water nonstop was brake failure, due to not enough greasing of the seals, that is all, my bearings are fine at 4k miles, none of which were ever easy.

Johnny on another not you also don't need all the stuff rob mentioned, the only additions i made to mine, were a 50 amp auto reset breaker, and quick connects from walmart where i cut the remote control off, its kind of big and ugly so i put it in the back box when im done

Old 02-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

wahts 50 amp auto reset breaker?

and also.. when i get the contactor.. how do i wire it up.. do i get a wire diretally from the batery?.. is there a fuse in the contactor?

Old 02-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

its a fancy fuse that doesn't need to be replaced if it blows. if your using the contrator, you'd have to ask rob i didn't use one with mine, i found it stupid to pay more for a wiring harness then i did for the winch

Old 02-16-2006, 05:32 PM
Range Rover

OK, the topic was the Warn 1.5, not who has the cheapest winch that is still working. Bascially, I got a call from the Warn rep and we went through all three models that Warn makes for the ATV, I made a post in the Utility ATV forum that gives the info on the 1.5, 2.5 and the 3.0. The rep answered my questions about what is plastic and what isn't, and what is sealed and what isn't and what to do if water penetrates where it wasn't intended.

I went ahead and bought, and just received, the Warn 3.0 xt. I found it to be the cheapest at www.4atvtires.com, 450.00 with free shipping. I went with the xt over the ce for one reason, it comes with the synthetic rope, which for saftey reasons, I liked the idea of. This winch is a beast and will be more than I'll ever need, which in a way, makes me happy.

I've looked over those no name brands on Ebay and debated over them and wether or not to purchase one for the wifes Rancher when the time comes. Only time will tell on that, but most likely, I'll just buy another Warn. Maybe I'm just buying a name, but I did buy a Honda, and a lot of people buy those because of the name and then are generally happy.

Someone mentioned what good a winch does when it is nose down in the mud and you don't have one on the back. I probably wouldn't go riding around with two winches installed, and if I went nose down in the mud, I'd just have to dig out the winch and place it on the rear if I had a multi mount setup as most liekly, the winch would have been on the front anyways. Lots of good input here and those pictures of the home made multi mount system look great and are very informative. Probably stuff I'll never do, but interesting none the less.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So were they listed cheaper on e-bay, or did you just order from them directly?

When I got mine, price included roller head, mount plate, and free shipping- and no one else was close.

P.S. I already read your other post and it was good reading. Thanks for sharing. Also, enjoy the new winch.

Quick Reply: Warn 1.5 on an 05 Rancher 4x4