Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450R stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450R stalling

Originally posted by: Rise400ex
Well I'm not exactly how this post turned into sovleing two different problems but it seems that the problem that I have with the stalling only when I snap the throttle is better after turning up the idle to about 1800 rpms.The manual says 1700+or- 100. I was also able to make the tool to adjust the mixture screw. I turned that one half turn out and turned it back after it did not seem to help. I turned the idle stop screw about 1/2 turn up.
Dunefool you might be right. I have a 400EX and a 250EX and I might just have to change my style of riding when I'm on my 450. But on the other hand I don't think it should stall when I'm in neutral and just snapping the throttle part way. I rode the bike tonight for about 1 hour and it didn't stall on me but I also was not snapping the throtle like I was Sunday. The trails where really tight and I was on and off the throttle a lot. The trails I test on tonight where more open and less throttle demanding. Anyways I will keep you guys posted if I have anymore trouble. Thank-you very much to the guys that helped with my problem. Any other commets or suggestions are welcomed.
I've had a 300ex (wifes), 400ex with stock carb and put on a FCR carb after I put in the 440 kit, an 05 trx450r, and now a 06 trx450r. I guess I am used to this type of carb already. I bet you if you get out of the habit of snapping your throttle you will fall in love with this quad. You can't quickly snap the throttle from low RPM's with this carb and the way it is set up. There is no need to snap the throttle very quick when riding just "roll" the throttle on, fast if needed, but smooth. "Rolling" the throttle on smoothly provides more than enough fuel for maximum horsepower. As most people know this is the best carb for this motor and I'm glad Honda finally put it on the quad stock but there is a reason why they put crappy but great starting and easy to manage carbs on quads. They want to make them start and run like your Honda car. But now we are getting to the point where this carb is necessary for maximum performance and you can't blame them for doing that. You will be used to it before you know it. I never have to think about my throttle when riding. Bump your idle a little more if you tend to stall and keep the R's up a little more than you did with your EX. This motor is a little more high strung. Hope this helps!