Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need to now some things about my R

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2000, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there rev limiters on these things cause I was riding and right away I would get in the powerband and then it would like bog or spit or sputter.Are these things 6 speeds us to riding my 5 speed tri-z. What are some good pipes for these want some low end through mid range for the dunes the R seems like it revs out really fast. Also the guy I bought it from had a twist throttle and gave me a thumb with it can I use the same cable with it cause I was trying to use the same and it was a pain in the a@@ cause it was to long is there a way to tighten it up thanks.

Old 11-20-2000, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you may have a jetting problem with your R. Check your plug and make sure you're not too lean. The plug will be very light to white spots on it. If that's the case, you are too lean, go up on the main jet. Also, verify that your jet is not plugged up w/ trash, and that your fuel line is not kinked, also check out your fuel petcock to make sure your getting enough fuel. Several companies offer good aftermarket pipes. Look into LRD, or FMF (Just a suggestion). It is also possible that you have an electrical problem. As far as the throttle cable is concerned, the stock thumb throttle cable should have a barrel type **** on the end, while the twist throttle usually has a round BB type **** on the end. Your best bet is to order the correct cable.

Old 11-20-2000, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep! R's are 6 speeds.
If your ride bogs on top, check your plug. It sounds like you are too rich. If you foul plugs or your plug is black and oily, go down a mainjet size . ..BUT FIRST make sure your air filter is really, really clean!!! A dirty air filter will cause the same problem. How about your fuel mix? That can be the problem. So, check your fuel mix, clean your filter, then do a plug check. . .get going in say, 3rd gear, rev it out, pull in the clutch and shut it off, stop and check your plug. If you do this right you'll get an accurate plug reading.
Also, what position is the needle?
The twist throttle cable will not work with the thumb throttle. A factory cable will run about $40 as they come with a new top for the carb. I have seen people run a cable for a Blaster on an R and it will work but there will not be any slack whatsoever.
Pipes for low end.. .FMF Fatty is a good choice for low to mid and produces excellent torque.
Yes, an R does rev out quick! That's what they're supposed to do! Hang on and have fun!