Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

whats wrong with a K&N???

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats wrong with a K&N???

you say that there website says there only good for 25 cleaning, can you post that link on here. I want to print it off and bring into work

Old 07-11-2006, 10:33 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See Washable and Reusable

Old 07-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

It seems the K&N design worked well in older engine designs, people used them for years on everything with no poblems..

But with the newer engines comes more PSI air intakes and they have started to surcafe issues.

I saw a lot of F250 that were literally sucking the oil out of the K&N and clogging up the butterfly valves on the intake.. They would stick closed and eventally stall the truck, almost always resulting in a tow-in...

Of course people will assume they were over oiled but the truth is when we examined them they were sucked dry through the centers so the filter was just not holding the oil...which is bad in so many ways.....

I has used K&N on a lot of vehicles and ATVs over the years but after seeing this condition too many times in trucks, cars and ATVs I now stick with foam for my ATVs and paper Wix filters for all my cars/trucks.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Both filters need to be oiled, you would think the more restrictive filter would cause the machine to suck oil first, since its trying harder to breath. Therefor i believe it was operator error, and over oiled the filters

Old 07-16-2006, 08:50 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: maddad
nothing wrong with k&n,if you are using precharger take it off go get pantyhose and put over filter much better for sand use and much cheaper than charger, saves cleaning all the time just put new hose on
Are you serious??? Im acually wondering if youve done this, because it sounds like a good idea. I would be interested in tying this. Did it really help alot, without much performance loss?

Old 07-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: v2rider
nothing wrong with k&n,if you are using precharger take it off go get pantyhose and put over filter much better for sand use and much cheaper than charger, saves cleaning all the time just put new hose on
Are you serious??? Im acually wondering if youve done this, because it sounds like a good idea. I would be interested in tying this. Did it really help alot, without much performance loss?
There haven't always been outerwears and pre-chargers, this is what was used before that time.

Old 07-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Both filters need to be oiled, you would think the more restrictive filter would cause the machine to suck oil first, since its trying harder to breath. Therefor i believe it was operator error, and over oiled the filters
Well I should have specified on that a bit....

I have not seen the K&N oil sucked out on an ATV, I was talking about the trucks only with that problem... Auto filters are not oiled unless they are K&N, your basic Wix or Fram paper filter is dry....

When I included the ATVs I was speaking in the opposite sense in that they seem to let in too much dirt without the pre-filters on.

My point was that the K&N's in general have become problematic for whatever reasons and in various capacities...... I stopped using them for this reason alone more or less.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:53 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

Some people put pantyhose over the airbox instead of venting it.

Old 07-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Some people put pantyhose over the airbox instead of venting it.

Fishnet stockings won't cut it?