Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Recon has white smoke in the crankcase

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recon has white smoke in the crankcase

Hey everybody, a nOOb here with a question about my 2006 Recon. Today while riding I was going up and down some really steep hills one right after the other being pretty agressive. No problems. When I was done playing, I rode for about 2 minutes going slow. The engine started to sputter like it was out of gas and it died. It wouldn't restart, just turn over. So I pulled the top off the air cleaner box and, POOF, it was full of white smoke. It would then start and only idle when I gave it gas, but white smoke was still coming out of the crankcase vent filter. So I ended up disconnecting the crankcase vent hose at the engine and rode it back to my truck for about 10 minutes. When I got back to my truck it was running perfectly fine. So I connected the hose back up and called it a day. Is something wrong or is this normal? What exactly happened? Oh, I forgot to mention that I checked the oil level and it was low. Where did that oil go! Just checked the compression... 185 psi, right where it should be. No leak down after 1-2 minutes.

Update:

When I went up a hill that was really steep and had my Recon almost vertical for about 4-5 seconds. Some oil must have gotten sucked somewhere it didn't belong and this is what caused the smoke. It cleared up after a few minutes and hasn't come back. Problem solved.