Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

TRX250 undertaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX250 undertaking

I had the TRX 250 Clutch problems last week, remember me guys? Well i fixed my clutch problem with about $200 worth of rear end stuff. Anyone that could help me out on this one,.......The Recon had been set up for a while. The carb had green gunck in it, like when you clean an old outboard carb, the oil residue. I don't know if the guy put 2 stroke gas mix in there by mistake or what. I cranked the Recon and i had alittle blue smoke at first. It's been set up about 2 years and I was wondering is this normal for one that has been set up like that. The guy said it didn't smooke or use oil when he parked it. Think maybe a stuck ring. Anyone out there every had this problem? Willl it stop after i change oil and run it a little? What kinda oil should i use? Any additives i could add to the oil/gas?

Old 10-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drain any old fuel from the gas tank, then You need to remove the carb and clean it, go to auto zone, O'reillys or advance auto parts' and get the gallon size can of Berrymans chem dip ! Take the carb apart remove all the rubber o ring gasket's, remove the jet's there's not that many part's to it, but if you have a camera take photo's so you will know where all the part's go ! That's what i do when tearing down something the first time . Once you get it apart open the chem dip there's a little basket inside the can to put the carb, jet's needle seat's and float,float pin all in basket to soak. You'll need a small paint brush to scrub the thick gunk but it won't take much because This is really some strong stuff that's why you need to remove all the rubber gasket's or it will ruin them ! You only have to submerge the carb an part's about 30 second's it's that strong ! I just submerge it for 10 second's at a time 3 or 4 time's, should do the job you'll see it eating away the gunk fast ! If the float is plastic just dip it one time, have pan filled with acetone to rinse the part's it's dry's fast with the acetone. You can get it at home depot or lowes ! Oh and remember to make a note how many turn's on the air fuel mixture screw's are when you remove them. After cleaning the carb and before putting it back on the quad , get some seafoam fuel clearer/ stabilizer, you can get this stuff at the same auto parts store as the chem dip ! Put some of the seafoam in the tank with fresh gas, this will clean the carb, intake and combustion chamber ! Change your oil and filter , also clean the air filter and replace the spark plug ; i use joy dishwater liquid cleaner on the air filter it really cut the grease and is safe to use on the foam filter's. Then install air filter and you're ready to go , this should do the job !!.............williebee

Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks,...I cleaned the carb and got the thing running. I just worried abou that smoke.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The smoke should stop as soon as all the old gunky fuel burn's off, honda make's some fine machine's they're still in my opinion one of the best built bike's and quad's out there ! I owned three honda motor cycles in the 60's and 70's , and my first 4 wheeler was a 86' honda trx 350 foreman 4x4 in 89' it was a showroom hold out the dealer wouldn't go down on the MSP not even one dollar !! But it was built like a tank it was the first foreman 4x4 with the huge and heavy strait axel front end, instead of power steering it took power to steer lol ........ i finally sold it to my younger brother in sept. 2005 for $2500.00 on credit ; and he rides it everyday. It puff's a little smoke when you first start it up after it sit's idle for 12 hour's or so, but doesn't and never did use any oil in between oil an filter change... !! my 2nd quad was a 93' suzuki 300 KQ , then feb.7th 2006 i bought a Arctic Cat 400 auto 4x4 with the suzuki engine/belt/clutch/tranny system........ Have a good one , and be safe............williebee

Old 10-13-2006, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks,......good to know,........I'm gonna take the carb back off and clean it per your recomendations. I bought this 00 for $400 and was told it had a bad clutch. It had been set up for a while and had alot of minor things wrong with it. Rear brakes front brakes, brake cables froze,.........seat torn, battery, air breather, tires were dry rotten, all minor in my book. Turned out that the clutch was fine, but the rear axle was gone. I have cranked it but not run it yet, if my parts come in today maybe try it this weekend. Hope i'll have $800 in the thing. I bought it for my kids, and was planning on buying a 06 Rancher for myself.

thanks again

I'll let ya'll know how it goes

Next thread will be how to get rid of Pink Fenders,......(sun faded red)

Old 10-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

the smoking might go away after a while, and its not too hard to do a ring job anyways if it doesnt. better to just get it running so you know that there isnt anything else wrong first.

the green junk in the carb wasnt oil residue, thats just what gas does when it gets old. it turns to varnish and turns green. the best way to clean it is to take all the metal parts apart of the carb, remove all plastic and rubber parts and dunk the metal parts in a carburetor cleaner solvent. It's getting harder to find the stuff, but it works amazing. I had the same situation with my gf's polaris, the carb was green and it wouldnt run. soaked the carb overnight in cleaner, reassembled, pops off on the first hit of the start button every time now.

I would buy a couple oil filters and change oil on it a couple times, use the regular honda gn4 for now and once you get it running switch to a synthetic, do a search on oil in the forum, you'll find lots of help.

good luck