Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Weirdest atv riding story.........

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2000, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok its 10pm, I cant sleep. So I decide to go on a ride with my good old banana. I get the 4weeler out of the garage, let it warm up and go for it. To get to the closest riding place, I have to ride for about a mile on a somewhat busy road(I live in the suburbs) Anyway I get on that road and I gun it. All of the sudden my quad starts to shake and wobble like crazy. I got cars in front of me, following me and meeting me. Then, tragedy happens.....POCK! the left rear whee falls of !!!(in 6th at full throttle) At that point, I dont know whats going on....Sparks are going every where !!! I'm on a small bridge, I cant stop because I got cars following me. As soon as the bridge ends...I get off the road and I stop my quad. i havent been off of it for 2 second that I hear a siren and I'm seeing blue lights everywhere. THE COPS !!! I think to myself..."I'm cooked" Anyway the cop asks me what i'm doing at 10 pm riding my quad on the street. I tell him the truth. He tells me: "I'm gonna call your parents so that they can pick you up" So I tell him: "Hey i got my cell phone on me". So he tells me: "OK I'm gonna let you go but dont ride that loud thing at night" So I call my cousin to tell him to pick me up. For five minutes I try to find my wheel. Since It fell off my quad while I was on the bridge I think to myself: "this thing is gone !!! the river took it away" But since I was lucky I finaly found the wheel some 300feet pass the bridge. We put my banana in the truck and went home. As I examined the quad back in my garage I find out that the bolt that is suppose to hold the hub in place got loose and fell off. The tip of my axle got worn a little bit as well as the skid plate. It's going to cost me a axle nut and that's about it. KEEP ON RIDING !!!

Old 12-12-2000, 03:29 AM
Range Rover

Cool story. Doesn't the axle nut have a cotter pin?

Old 12-12-2000, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

Axle nut cotter pins prove ineffective on piped ATV's ridden at full throttle on public roads after 10 p.m.

Diogenes

Old 12-12-2000, 03:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Good story...Good thing he did'nt catch you at full speed. I was in a similar situation once. Did'nt break down, but got a ticket for 67mph on a 400ex. 67 in a 35 mph zone is'nt good (was clocked by the "FRIENDLY" type at 70mph once too). Once I think about it, it was just after 10pm too. Later guys!

Old 12-12-2000, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

It use to have a cutter pin but thge previous owner got rid of it I guess.

Old 12-12-2000, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

A friend and I were drag raceing down a highway in the country and passed a state cop . He turned around and followed us a ways . HE was on a 250R me on the 350X . Turned of on a stone road . The ATC can still fly down the stone roads but the police car gave up . Another thing that ticked me off was in the winter during 8 inches of snow the snow mobiles were flying all over the place . I just pulled on the road on my 350X and got a lenghthy lecture from the local police .

Old 12-14-2000, 08:20 PM
Range Rover

Saw your post a couple days ago, and tried to figured out a way to answer, guess I'll try like this. Sometimes in the winter when you go out and it is cold, about zero, the snow just sparkles, and it gets crusted, and you can just fly. I've done the snowmobile thing, but something about "doing it", on a ATV is just outtasite. Then I remember all the times in the summer, lots of heat, but with a willing partner and lots of "doing it", results in memories than can outdo most experiences, war included. But then what the heck, all it takes to make a good day is to spend just a little of it on a quad.

Go forth and ride!!!

98 450-s
13600 mi
stock
Blackwaters

00 Kodiak
stock
unk mi but lots

Old 12-14-2000, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

HE he he....I love riding!!! As soon as I get a decent quad I'll give racing a try It's fun to hear about each other's love for the sport...even theraputic. I'm the only guy around who has a sport quad...my import buddies call me crazy for spending my money on a quad rather than on my car. But hey! i dont care if they dont like atving...i think they dont like it just because they never tried it......PLUS atving is the best form of motored sport....no cops to give you tickets in the woods....no traffic....no lanes....no stoplight....ITS GREAT !!!

OH and can I add....it's affordable!