Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

FOREMAN 500 BROKE THROUGH FROZEN POND

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOREMAN 500 BROKE THROUGH FROZEN POND

my friend just came back from vacation with a sunk foreman 500 he waz rideing on an frozen pond or lake and he broke through the ice he completely sunk his atv he really dont know any thing about atvs. wat r the steps to cleanin out the motor or he has to rebuild any suggestions

Old 01-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

needs to change all fluids severl times

Old 01-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dump the crankcase the first time without even turning it over. I'd also pull the spark plug and spin it over, in case there's any water in the cylinder. If all that got inside was clean water, he can probably be OK just changing the oil and filter several times, and will probably have to clean out the fuel tank, carb/float, and change the gear oil in the axles a time or two.

If on the other hand you think it got silt or grit inside (look at what comes out with the first oil), I'd recommend not running it at all until it can be disassembled completely and cleaned by hand. If there were grit inside I'd also replace the oil cooler, as there is no way to know if you've gotten it completely clean. When sand, grit and silt get inside the little passages in the engine, and down behind bearings, changing the oil won't get it all out.

Hopefully, in a frozen lake, it was only water...

He did get it shut off before it sank, I hope?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me and my cousin sunk his 1989 Suzuki LT4WD 250 Quad Runner , it had water in everthing i removed the fuel tank the and carburator ; with the fuel tank i poured out all the gas i could then i poured some Acetone into the tank and sloshed it around the tank real good and poured out the exccess , and while it was air drying i took the carb apart and seperated the rubber o'ring gaskets and i used a pan and poured some of the Acetone into the pan and dried it out the same way !
And i removed the air filter cleaned it the with dish washing liquid the dried it out and reoiled it !

Then i removed a the crank case drain plug and drained the oil then i removed the oil filter and put the oil filter cover back on the engine and put the oil plug back in and started pouring kerosine into the crankcase and then i removed the spark plug and kept pouring the kerosine into the crancase untill it started to come out the intake tube ; and the spark plug hole ! i used e big oil pan to catch the the kerosine !

Then i removed the oil drain plug and drained and finished draining the kerosine and i started pouring the kerosine over and over 4 or 5 time's untill there was nothin but clean clear kerosine was all that came out of the drain plug hole's !

Then i used the acetone the same way , then put everthing back together and put an old spark plug back into the plug hole and the drain hole back in and removed the oil filter cover and started pouring clean strained kerosine through the oil filler hole untill only clean kerosine was coming out of the oil filter slot ; then i drained it again through the oil plug bolt hole !

This flushed the oil cooler and after i had done that i reinstalled the oil drain plug and poured Acetone through the engine untill the Acetonewas coming out the oil filter hole again , anfter this i drained all the Acetone from the oil drain again ; and after all this i installed all the drain plug and the spark plug and filled the engine fulled with a good good cheap grade of oil over filling it untill and then once again removed the spark plug and poured some oil into the spark plug hole !

Then and only then did i turned the crank shaft a few time with the run switch in the of possition so there was no way the engine would start , and after this i drained the oil again and i checked the spark plug so i could see if it had oil on the plug ; once i was sure the cylinder and top end were well lubed i drained it once more !

Then i put in the new oil filter and reinstalled the the cover making sure the spring was in the right , then i just before installed the carb and air box and with the spark plug was still out and the run /off switch i turned the engine over a few more time's i put a clean with cloth ove the plug hole ; and turned the engine over a few more times untill the cloth wasn't real oily it was ready !

So i reinstalled the carb and untake tube and the air box and filter and got it all back together and ready to start with a new spark plug and i was ready start it , and i fully expecting for it to smoke bad on startup and it did at first but 10 minute's it was smoke free ; and everytime my cousin's start's it he say's it it ride's and drive's as good as ever and this was my first swamped engine !

My cousin passed away in 99' and he had since sold the 1989 Suzuki LT4WD 250 Quad Runner is still running stronge and my cousin bought a 1993 Suzuki LT4WD 300 King Quad and kept it untill his death in late 99' and after he passed away and his brother got and traded it to my Brother who traded it to me !

So this is how i cleaned out the 89' Suzuki LT4WD 250 Quad Runner , and it was a good one and still running strong it's built the same as the 93'Suzuki LT4WD 300 King Quad engine is 23 or 43 cc and the tires and wheels are bigger the 250 had 22 x 8.00 x 10 fornt and 25 x 10.00 x10 rear and the KQ has 25 x 8.00 x 12 on front and 25 x 10.00 x 12 on rear !
So that's not all that derrence in the spec.s' !...........

Old 01-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

Dump the crankcase the first time without even turning it over. I'd also pull the spark plug and spin it over, in case there's any water in the cylinder. If all that got inside was clean water, he can probably be OK just changing the oil and filter several times, and will probably have to clean out the fuel tank, carb/float, and change the gear oil in the axles a time or two.

If on the other hand you think it got silt or grit inside (look at what comes out with the first oil), I'd recommend not running it at all until it can be disassembled completely and cleaned by hand. If there were grit inside I'd also replace the oil cooler, as there is no way to know if you've gotten it completely clean. When sand, grit and silt get inside the little passages in the engine, and down behind bearings, changing the oil won't get it all out.

Hopefully, in a frozen lake, it was only water...

He did get it shut off before it sank, I hope?</end quote></div>

i drained the oil its just water no silt grit sand.
yes it waz only water very very cold water the water waz clean enough to drank.
no he did not get it shut off when it sank he panic and he jumped off cuz the water waz so cold but to late the ice around him broke he had to swim to the ice that wasnt broken.they didnt have a clue how to get the atv out and the atv stayed in the pound over night then the next day they got the fire department to help when they got to the pond there was this little layer of ice all u saw waz the tires they broke the ice around the atv it waz just a thin layer got like a 100 foot rope and pulled it out all they did waz put it on the trailer and went home

Old 01-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Good that it was clean water. I'd drain everything and refil with cheap oil, run it for a few minutes, change with cheap oil again and run it around long enough to get warm, change it again with good oil and new filter...

I've chatted with folks who got sand/grit in there, and tried changing the oil repeatedly. Usual result is it runs good for a while, then starts making noise and smoking... New crankshaft, rod, main bearings, bore job, piston and rings that could have been avoided by getting the grit out of there before running it.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Range Rover

Good that it was clean water. I'd drain everything and refil with cheap oil, run it for a few minutes, change with cheap oil again and run it around long enough to get warm, change it again with good oil and new filter...

I've chatted with folks who got sand/grit in there, and tried changing the oil repeatedly. Usual result is it runs good for a while, then starts making noise and smoking... New crankshaft, rod, main bearings, bore job, piston and rings that could have been avoided by getting the grit out of there before running it.</end quote></div>

we opened up the motor cleaned it all out change the oil like 5 times we drained all the fluids and added new fluids like 2 times cleaned the airfilter drained the airbox got a new spark plug and seat and oil cooler anything else i should do?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm guessing you should be alright... By all the fluids, I presume you got brake fluid and axles?

I'd probably run it around for a while IE get the oil up to operating temp and hold it there for at least 1/2 an hour to hopefully drive off any moisture that might still be in the motor.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:59 AM
Range Rover

I'm guessing you should be alright... By all the fluids, I presume you got brake fluid and axles?

I'd probably run it around for a while IE get the oil up to operating temp and hold it there for at least 1/2 an hour to hopefully drive off any moisture that might still be in the motor.</end quote></div>

yup brake fluid and axles
we rode around for like an hour then checked the whole bike down nothin wrong then we change the oil for the the last time the oil looked ok no water i think were done another honda saved

Old 01-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my cousin'r 89' Suzuki LT4WD Quar Runner it sucked iin sand and grit , so that's why i went to such long lenth's to ensure i got all of the sand and grit from the engine ; i may have gone overboard taking all the steps i did with his but it ony had a little over 300 miles on it and i didn't won't to see a brand new quad run for a couple 100 mile's and have the engine give up the ghost !

For not doing everthing i could possible do to it to ensure i got it all out , as for the diff fluid's both fron and rear they only took one change as it didn't seem like there was anywater in it at all , and i guess it was because i got it onto the sand bar so fast , but there was plenty of it in the engnie oil and the oil cooler ; so that is why it went all out on getting all of it from the engine and oil cooler !

And as it turned out i didn't under estimate what all i did to ensure it wouldn't last long after the proceedjure , i performed on it ; and that was the main thing i was going far !

And it was still running strong when he sold it to his nefew after buying the 1993' Suzuki LT4WD 300 King Quad 2 month's before the Blizzard of 93' , so that was what i was going for when i cleaned out the 89' Suzuki LT4WD 250 Quad Runner ; the kerosine did the flushing of the engine crankcase , oil cooler and top end !

But the Acetone did the drying of water from everypart of the engine from the crank case , oil cooler and top end and i did use it on the first flush of the front and rear diff ; with great result's to the entire system !

If it had been a liquid cooled engine i don't know what i wouldn've done defferent , i guess that's another reason i've ever owned a liqulid cooled engine ; my reason's for this has always been that i didn't need it for the type of riding i do with hardly ever towing anything that weighted more that a broke down quad on the trail's i ride and the extra part's that would have to break and have to be replaced some where farther down the line !
It took al l day for me to to be satified i had everthing clean , and that it would not give anytrouble down the line ; and it paid off in the long run so i was satified with the reslut's for the long hour's i put into doing the job right the first ! ...............

Quick Reply: FOREMAN 500 BROKE THROUGH FROZEN POND