Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Honda Rancher Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rancher Brake Problems

Ok i got 2 hondas a 03 rincon 650 and a 95 trx300fw, both the same gay *** front brakes. idk about you guys but these are worthless in anything wet haha i went trail ridding/ mudding (in 3 foot deep tops) and now both quads have no front brakes at all. i pump them and nothin really happens, so tonight i tore apart the 95s fronts and the one side ajusted decently and the other side is seized hardcore even with a gallon of JB 80 on it lol wtf where these honda boys thinkin??

Old 06-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Pro Rider

If you have any inkling of common sence and mechanical knowelege drum brakes will work fine. My 1998 Foreman has seen ONLY deep water, peat bog and mud its entire life, but the brakes have held up great with a minimm of proper maintenace. Once a year I take them apart to clean out whatever is in there (90% of the time its brake dust - 2 times it was grease from a failed wheel bearing and seal), grease the seals adjust the linings and go on again. THis year being its 10th year I replaced all the seals in the front end from the differentials out including the lip seals so that I'll have another 10 years of good break service. If you know what you are doing and follow the manaual for service you wont have any trouble. One improtant thing to check if your in deep water is that the vent lines are not damaged and are extended high enough to clear the deepest water you'll beinto. If water is getting in there EVERY ride, your doing something wrong.

The Disk Brake kits are wonderful, but not everyone has the extra $$$ to upgrade. For a little time and patience once a year you can have great service with what you have.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

ya but y the hell would they even use them in the first place... at least up front lol and if u dont have money u can use why did u buy a quad haha jk but seriously

Old 06-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

There's a difference in having money, and haveing a Spare $300+ to throw for a set of brakes that can work well if properly looked after. Dont get my wrong, I'd install a disk brake kit if I had a Spare $300, but I have alot of hobbies and I have the time to keep my brakes working great. If it were a race bike, it would certainly NEED disk brakes just to dissipate the heat, but I rarely use my brakes on my Foreman so I certainly dont need ones to stop sooner (with the Warn 424 in 2wd, I've locked the front wheels on gravel)