Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Cost of value adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cost of value adjustment

I adjust valves on a Rancher in under 1/2 hour. They are simple.
Now the fact that I have done a few may come into play here though.

Let me know if you decide to do it yourself. I can shoot my cell phone number in a PM in case you need help. I am a simple call away

----- Gimpster -----

Old 03-30-2008, 09:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i called honda and asked them how much for a valve ajustment and they said $63 i was like dam.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks JeffinTD for that web site and all other with your help. I now have instructions WITH PICTURES for step by step procedures. I should be able to do it on my own now once I buy a feeler gauge. I think I will be buying a service manual as well so I can do as much as possible myself. I love tinkering with stuff but I also hate breaking stuff too and getting myself in a real jam. $63 is a great deal RHONDA350 but free is even better.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

Gimpster,

Is it possible to turn the crankshaft on the Rancher by just spinning the rear wheels in order to line up the timing mark? I know it's possible with a manual clutch but I don't know about a centrifugal clutch.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It's really cool of Gimpster to offer to call you if you run into a problem. He's one of the pros here who I've seen really go above and beyond to help anyone who needs it.

In addition to saving money, I find I enjoy doing my own work, and I can probably have the job done in the same amount of time it would take to hitch up the trailer, load the quad and haul it to a dealer. Also, the more you know about the mechanics of your quad, the better able you will be to deal with a problem out on the trail...

Old 03-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

sac7000,

That's a good question...

I would think that it might be hard to use the tires to turn the crank slowly and with enough control to stop on the "T" though.

The 420 I believe has a cover held on by 3 bolts that allows you to turn the crank directly. If I recall correctly, you are supposed to turn it only clockwise, and go around again if you pass the T, so the decompression system doesn't prevent you from getting the valve gap set accurately.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:05 AM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

sac7000,

That's a good question...

I would think that it might be hard to use the tires to turn the crank slowly and with enough control to stop on the "T" though.

The 420 I believe has a cover held on by 3 bolts that allows you to turn the crank directly. If I recall correctly, you are supposed to turn it only clockwise, and go around again if you pass the T, so the decompression system doesn't prevent you from getting the valve gap set accurately.</end quote></div>

That is correct but in order to access the rear crank bolt cover you must remove the right floor plastic first. Then getting to the 3 small bolts that hold the crank bolt cover in place is a bit difficult for me since I have arthritic hands. It would be tad simpler (and faster) just to jack the bike up and turn the wheels. A small view hole could be drilled to access the timing mark cover.

I also have made a few modifications to the heat guard over the engine. Just a few simple cuts in the plastic guard to make removal faster and easier when routing cables around. The guard is still 100 percent functional.

Anyway it's not a big deal but I like the idea of making the valve adjustment procedure even easier then it already is.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

Like I say before, I appreciate all the great help the guys on this forum provides. This is my first ATV ever (I'm 32 now) and even though it will mainly be used for my kids to ride around the property and for me to do light work with, it is making me feel like a kid again. Just in the week I have been on this forum I have learned an unbelievable amount of information from you all by reading and posting.