Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2005 Rancher 400AT ESP blinks 6 times

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 10:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Rancher 400AT ESP blinks 6 times

Hi, I am new to this site for posting, but have read post left by others.
I bought the Rancher Dec. 2005, it was used, 500 miles on it. I have had 3 angle sensors but in it so far. About 3 weeks ago, I was riding with some friends and got into some Deep water. The motor stop running, I jumped off and got it out of the water. Got it home and got the motor out of everything, there was no water in the oil. I got the thing started and ran it about a min. Shout it off, drained the oil. I put a new filter in and new oil. Run it again, shift the gears. Changed the oil and filter again. Run it again, the oil was ok, not milky looking. I drove it around everything was fine. I think I put about 20miles on it, still everything was Great. This past Monday my daughter called me and said that it wouldn't shift. The ESP was blinking. I thought it was the angle sensor. This winter while plowing the driveway it did it, but I turned the wheeler off, and then started it and it was fine.
While, bought the angle sensor, put it in and it is still flashing.
I have tryed holding the up and down in, turned the key and then pushed up, down and then up. I can hear the buzz of the thing? for the angle sensor.
Tryed doing that, drive about 5 feet. (I copyed it from from this forum).
If I just start it up, ESP flashing put it Rev. runs like the choke is on. But if I hold the up and down, turn the key on, then push up, down, then up, buzz sound, ESP goes away, ( 2 ) - - show up and are blinking. I can go in Rev. fine, but it won't shift up, its still in safe zone?
I took the plastic covers off, foot rests ect. so I can see the wiring and plugs. Unplug every plug, used elec. grease on the, pluged them back in. Used a test light to see if I got power to the black box with 2 plugs on the rightside and to the black square thing with 1 plug, also on the rightside. There is power there.
The ESP blinks 6 times, I read hear the it is the Swash Plate Angle. (Someone posted the code sheet)
So now I don't know what to do ???
Sorry this is so long, but wanted to exsplain everything.
Thank You, Phil

Old 04-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would first use contact cleaner and clean all the wire couplers , then put a little dielectric grease on them before re-connecting them ..

These are the Hondamatic components
================================================== ================================================== =============================

Old 04-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok Thank You,I will give that a try. I did clean/whipped with a clean rag before the grease.
What else could I try ?

Thanks again, Phil

Old 04-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi HondaMechanic,

I did what you said to do, but it is still doing the same thing. I unpluged every thing and cleaned and greased the plugs again.

What do you think I should try next ??

As soon as I get it fixed, I thinking about tradeing it in, It has 401 hours and 2928 miles. I think I'll go back to foot shift.

Thank you for your help, Phil

Old 04-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

When you installed the new angle sensor did you pre-load it when installing it , then initialize the ECM ..?

Old 04-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

No I didn't, I just took the old one out and put the new one in. The first time I had to put one in, (Last Year) I just put it in and everything worked ok.

The dealer didn't say anything me about pre loading it.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Old 04-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you, I will do this.
Phil

Old 04-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello again Honda Mechanic,
Well I took the angle sensor off and the bracket. I fellowed the instructions of putting it back togeather. I did the, hold up and down procedure. It still is blinking 6 times.
I am truly thankful for everthing you have told me so far. Is there is anything else I can try. If not thats ok, I'm just trying fix it what spending the $70.00 and hour at the Honda dealer.

Thanks again, Phil

Old 04-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Pro Rider

You will have to do the tests for code #6 ..
================================================== ================================================== ============================================

Quick Reply: 2005 Rancher 400AT ESP blinks 6 times