Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

'86 TRX200SX neutral safety switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '86 TRX200SX neutral safety switch problem

I recently bought my wife a used 1986 trx200sx so she could learn to ride with me & the kids & then later plan to upgrade her to a better 4 wheeler. It looks to be in pretty good shape for only $200.oo and has good compression but it wouldn't start.

The reverse light stays on all the time no matter what gear you put it in. I think this may be keeping it from starting or turning over with the starter. It always think it's in reverse. i want to start diagnosing the problem at this point. Can someone tell me how to bypass the neutral safety switch so i can see if this is the problem. If this is the problem how hard & how expensive would it be to replace the neutral safety switch.

Thanks............................................ ............DF1

Old 05-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

Does it turn over and just not start? If that is the case try a new plug and adjusting the valves.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

It will turn over with the pull cord but i have not tried very hard to start it that way. It will not do anything with the starter eventhough the battery is good. I bought it from a small shop that was to busy with street bikes to bother with the trx200 considering the amount of profit they could get out of it. They also thought the problem was in the neutral safety switch....................................DF1

Old 05-15-2008, 04:42 AM
Range Rover

This might be a stupid question, but are you sure it's not stuck in reverse?
Have you actually got it into neutral.
Mine is hard to shift when it's not moving. It gets easier as the bike warms up.

With the pull starter, mine will start in any gear. Suprised me a couple times!

Oh, one other thing to check. On the left hand side (while sitting on it) is a relay box just under the seat. Has a few relays and fuses in it. Open it up and disconnect one wire at a time and clean the connections really well on each wire and connector in there. Mine was full of dead bugs, mud, leaves and other filth that could have been a big problem down the road.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

I made a start in gear override switch for my foreman. Basically all you have to do is apply negative (-) battery voltage to the negative side of the starter solenoid (on mine it was a black wire with a green stripe). This turns on the neutral light and lets me start in gear. Very handy if the bike is stuck and difficult to shift back to neutral.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Malachi, There are no stupid questions. A friend of mine once spent 3 hours working on his car trying to get it to start, i showed up & asked him if it had gas. Guess what it was out of gas. DUH!

It is definitely in neutral. I can roll it around & it shifts pretty easily in & out of gear with the shifter. I'll take a look at the relay box this weekend.

Action450s, are you saying to run a wire from the negative side of the battery to the negative side of the solenoid? If so how do i know which side of the solenoid is the negative or can i check it with a voltage tester. I am pretty good at mechanical stuff but have a hard time with wiring so you have to dumb it down for me a little.

I appreciate all the help i can get.........................................DF1

Old 05-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Due to work & weather today was the first time i've been able to try to work on this thing.

I checked & cleaned all the connections in the box of wires under the seat first & they all looked pretty good. Then i started trying to figure out how to override the switch like action450 described. When i followed out the 2 wires from the transmission & started playing with them i accidentally ended up with both of them unplugged & didn't know which way to plug them back in. So i guessed at it. I apparently crossed them & now the reverse light is out & the neutral light is on. The engine will now turn over with the starter.

Should this wiring set up allow it to start?

I drained the tank & carb & drained some fresh gas thru the carb & out thru the bowl drain. I also need to check for spark once i get the correct size spark plug socket & put a new plug in it tommorrow.

Any other advice that may help?

Thanks............................................ ................DF1

Old 05-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

p/s The neutral light syats on no matter what gear it is in.

Once i get this thing running right how hard is it to repair the neutral safety switch so that the lights work properly?

Thanks again............................................. .................DF1

Old 05-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-26-2008, 12:57 AM
JRM
Pro Rider

my netural light is also stuck on, has been ever since 1994 when i drove over to my friends house and caught my girlfriend in his hottub and got upset, floored it in netural and stomped on the shifter to put it in reverse at redline. Light has stuck on ever since, Runs drives fine to this day... oh BTW now 14 years later my wife is ten thousand times better than that chick ever was [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]