Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Downshifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 03:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting problems

Hi everyone, i have a 1996 Honda Foreman, i installed a warn 424 select unit on it and ever since in 2 wheel drive during downshift it acts as though its not engaging fully to downshift kind of like popping before the engine turns up. However in 4 wheel drive it downshifts perfectly at any speed turning up the engine and slowing down. I was told that it was probably the rear end, so I have replaced everything from the rear output shaft back, needless to say that wasn't the problem. Any advice you have that can resolve this problem is greatly appreciated, Thank You.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

it sounds like you need some kind of resistance on the front drive shaft in orber to get engine breaking. sounds like a tranny problem involving final drive to the axles.

sorry i cant be more specific, theres a mechanism in ther that governs engine breaking. sounds like that isnt working.its something i would want a mechanic to look at

Old 11-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok but the thing is Ive already carried it to two different mechanics and they cant seem to pin point the problem, I do believe youre on to something with the final drive gear though, it just seems if that was the problem it would do it in 4 wheel drive also.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was also wondering if it could possibly be a problem in the clutches....

Old 11-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The output shaft that drives the rear wheels also drives the front wheels. It is one shaft running through the engine.
If a popping sound is noted It would pretty much have to be from the Warn unit not being adjusted correct

----- Gimpster -----

Old 11-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok check this out, this thing has plagued me for some time. I thought it was coming from the 424 as well, so to rule it out what i did was totally take the 424 out leaving the front end totally disengaged, thing still does it with no driveline in it at all, like i said im at a total loss for what it could be unless it is in the transmission or clutches, any other ideas? And guys really Thanks for all of your input so far.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking the one way bearing behind the centrifugal clutch is chattering

----- gimpster -----

Old 12-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys sorry for the delay getting back to you, and I do believe that the one way clutch could be the culprit. I have already taken the centrifigul clutch out as well as the change clutch a few months back. When i had the centrifigul clutch on the bench i check it by the manual it turns counter clockwise but not clockwise which was correct thing is in my opinion you really cant tell because you cant put a load on it. I also disassembled the change clutch, the fiber disk lookes and measured well within spec, however some of the metal rings had a blue almost burnt like discoloration to them. Instead of replacing them i just rearanged the metal rings around put it all back together and it seemed, at least in my head, like it was a tad bit better. But as of now its back just like it was. Do you think those metal rings could possibly be part of the problem as well as the one way bearing clutch whatever you call it?