Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2006 Honda Foreman - work horse??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Honda Foreman - work horse??

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums.

I am looking into purchasing a 2006 Foreman. I have a farm, and I would like to use it for logging and as a work horse, generally. Is this the unit for the job?

Secondly, I have heard of some transmission issues. To what degree should I be concerned?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

if its a regular foot shift honda foreman i would say that is your ticket! i have not really heard of the foot shift foremans haveing tranny issues. the foreman series was designed for work purposes.

i will testify to this: i have seen a foreman 450 toe a fully loaded 1ton bail-wagon with no problem. and there are plenty of farmers i know of who use there foremans hard for work. if i had a farm i would have a hard time buying any other mechine!

hope this helps

Old 12-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's encouraging. It is a manual-shifting honda. Thanks for replying so quickly, I will have to test drive it again.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

the first and 2nd gear are very low for pulling/toeing/hauling. top speed in 1st is usually 5mph, and 10mph for 2nd, very low gearing for chores means less time being stuck! but if needed you should be able to get up to 50-55mph with no problem. i love my foreman and as long as it has regular maintinance there should be few unexpected expances.

just make sure that it starts fine and everything works! if you are in doubt about the maintinance of the mechine, or the owner, then i would sy pass it up. but being that new of an ATV you should not have any problems, if taken care of.

if you have any more questions not be afriad to ask! welcome to the forum!

Old 12-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Some of the big tire guys with modified clutch and/or engine have broken 1st gear in the Foreman, but if you are going to keep it mechanically stock and aren't planning on huge tires I wouldn't worry about it.

Mine's been perfect. It's tough, handles pretty decent, and is fun to ride. I would also avoid the ES unless you really don't like shifting with your foot. Later ES bikes seem to be better, but you still hear about a bad angle sensor or other minor problem with them. Generally the foot shift Foremans are stone axe simple and reliable and I prefer the manual shift anyway. If I really liked the ES push button shifting, though, I'd get it- and if I ever had to deal with a shift motor or angle sensor problem I'd consider it no big deal and it wouldn't discourage me from riding the machine I like best.

The other machine you might consider would be the Rubicon, if you prefer an automatic. It is liquid cooled and 4 valve, and has a hydrostatic drive transmission with low range. It can emulate a geared transmission by letting you select between 5 preset ratios with push buttons. It is very well suited for plowing, dragging, and towing. Personally I kind of prefer the Foreman, however the Rubicon would be faster between drive and reverse which would be handy if you are plowing in tight quarters.

If you do get a Foreman, the electric power steering might be worth while. It would tame the bar kick back when you smack that hidden rock. Also, when I did farm work we were often steering with one hand and running a sprayer with the other, or holding a gas can and grease gun down while running in potato rows to service a wheel line mover...

Welcome to the forum. Also, if you are new to ATV's, take advantage of the safety class Honda will offer you (assuming you are looking at new).

Old 12-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Foreman is the quintessential work quad. Good solid reputation. Should run forever, with just routine maintenance. Nice simple manual transmission, but avoid the ES pushbutton shifting option, as it has had lots of problems.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Range Rover

you can't go wrong with the foreman .. if used, then lift all wheels off the ground when checking it out,couple crates should do it, and check for loose play in drives and bearings. they are easy to maintain - don't short cut on oil changes. Go foot shift.
as a workhorse they can't be beat - you should get 10 years plus out of any - we have them working forestry with over 50,000 miles on them. It's all down to maintenance.
Never heard of transmission issues - usually the worst that happens is a bent gear selector, and that is only with too hard of changing, kicking it through the gears instead of changing easy.
The electric shift is fine and nicer to use in the day to day - and I agree with Jeffin about the Rubicon ( but only after 2005 with the 2/4x4) and only a low miles example - cos with them you really want to be sure that the oil was regularly changed out.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 03 450 ES Foreman, big heavy lugged tires, Bumper mount 2500lb warn winch, Moose county plow. It Is A Baby Skidder!!! if you are logging like you say I have pulled 10 inch 16 ft trees easily!
If anyone is looking to use a plow, that Moose county plow is the ticket!
I can plow faster with that than my pickup/plow
The electric shift hasn't given me any problems other than maybe the idle is set up too high or the bat. my be weak ie winch/plowing a good optima bat. helps
I use this mach to no end pulling fishouses/logging/snowplowing 1st and 2nd gear and rarely higher!
I'm up in northern Minn and the 20 below wea. and everything works fine!
Brakes--- use em alot and change em alot. not the best for braking. Honda's not noted for their brakes
other than that it is the best tool on the place!