Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

rancher disk brake squeal

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rancher disk brake squeal

hello eveyone, I am new to this forum and understand there is alot of knowledgable owners on this site. I have purchased an 08 Rancher last year, its an ES 4x4 and I ride it only a few miles every once and a while. I had about 80 miles on it when I recieved a recall letter on the front CV joints that Honda recalled. I took it in and had them replaced, when I went on my next ride, the front brakes started making a loud squealing noise that only got worse. Reverse was even louder when you barely applied the brakes and let the bike roll. I pulled the brakes and the right rotor had slight indentions, I replaced the rotor and both sets of pads with the EBC pads I was referred to. The problem seems to have been fixed,(I have only put 3-5 miles on the new pads). I purchased a new Rancher 2wd 07 model the other day. It now has 20 miles on it and the brakes are doing the same thing the 4x4 was doing. I pulled the front brakes and am noticing some uneven wear on the pads. It makes more noise in reverse just like the other bike. The bikes have been ridden on light trails and has seen no creek action or mud. Am I just an unfortunate buyer or are the Honda Rancher brakes garbage from the factory, I could understand if I took them into the creeks and buried them every weekend but 80 miles on the first, now 20 on the new bike...any information would be very helpful, the Honda dealer said that disk brakes squeak, also that I had trash between the rotor and pads, I cleaned them and they still make more noise than a garbage truck. Were the EBC brakes the right choice also...thanks all...

Old 02-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not aware of any reports of problems like that. On the other hand, a person doesn't have to get much of a greasy finterprint on the rotor to cause problems.

Sometimes brakes can kind of glaze, if the rider never does more than soft applications. Anyway, you could pull the pads and clean them up with some emery paper, followed by a good brake cleaner. If the rotors are glazed you might be able to scuff them up a bit. In any case, also clean the rotor.

Or, you could just replace with EBC's... In my experience sintered metal generally bites a bit harder than organic, can make more scuffing sound but less likely to squeal, and they can transmit more heat to the caliper.

Anyway, good luck, and welcome again.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Range Rover

Never herd of that issue on a Rancher 420, I use the EBC severe duty brake pads because of water and mud. My rear drum brake started to make a loud noise when i brake, i need to take care of that soon.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:31 AM
Trailblazer

don't know what rancher 420 comes with for pads, but any metallica pad may squeal, possibly grind pad and scuff rotor or adhere pad to caliper might help. if atv is sitting for awhile normal moisture in the air can cause a thin layer of rust on the rotor surface that can cause a squeal but normally goes away after first couple times stopping. if it bothers you that bad probably would be to replace pads with ceramic pads. probably won't last as long but how fast do you wear pads out on an atv. remember nothing stops better than metal on metal-ha ha

Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

I too have had the front brake squeel, ever since it was new. It only does it in reverse while you are turning. Had the re-call done on the front axles and asked the dealer to check. He said everything looked OK. Guess I will just put up with it till it needs new shoes, then decide to do something.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Trailblazer

i have had the squeal problem as well, i took lacquer cleaner on a rag ran it around the the disk had a thin film come off the disk, squeak stopped, so i think the stock discs are to sensitive to the residue left from the brake pads or the factory brake pads are leaving a heavy film, so i plan on replacing my pads to see if a different type solve the problem. but for now i just take the wheel off and clean the disk until my pads need to be replaced.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Hey wa3rh
Thanks for the tip. Will try that when I am done pushing snow and the weather warms a little. Thanks