Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Switching from polaris to honda; PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching from polaris to honda; PLEASE HELP!

I currently have a polaris expedition 400 and I HATE it. Its a pain to work on and its not dependable. I would like to buy a honda 4x4 but I am still on the line. What I need to know is what are some common problems with hondas and some feedback on a few that I am looking at; a 2001 rubicon and a 2006 rancher es. Are these good bikes? Would you suggest them? Thanks.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Trailblazer

Well first off, welcome to Honda, I don't think you will be disappointed. My neighbor has a 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500, and she says if she could do it all over again, she too would be in a Honda.

As far as common problems with Hondas, I admit, I have only been an owner myself for about a year, and having had 0 problems in that year, I can't comment from personal experience. I can tell you that I know several Honda owners who are very very happy with their bikes, and have had very little problems. None of which were either common or recurring.

Regarding the bikes. I have driven, and spent quite a lot of time on the 2002 Rubicon (identical to the 2001). It is 4wd full time, so sometimes it can be a beast to turn, but it plows through just about everything you can put it through. Solid engine, stiff suspension (can be rough on the back sometimes), good automatic transmission. It is a real solid platform. My Uncle owns 2 02 Rubicons that run great even now, several thousand miles and several hundred hours on both. They start right up every time, and have been put through hell. One was even recently rolled, we pushed it back on its wheels, straightened the pins on the display plug, plugged it back in, and it started right up and he drove it home. Replaced the plug and display later, and it still works great. If he would have sold me one of his, I wouldn't have had to buy a new one like I did. Great bikes. You also will see a lot of them out there, along with the baseline 450 foreman. Same style bike, just smaller engine.

I have not driven an 06 Rancher, but I was talking to a guy the other day about his 08 Rancher. It is Honda mainstream utility quad. I really don't have anything bad to say about them. The only complaint the guy had was he wished he had waited till 09 to get the new Rancher with IRS (independent rear suspension).

Good luck buying your Honda, and welcome aboard.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

Here's my experince with Honda. The wife drives an 02 polaris mag and I drive an 08 Rincon. the Polaris has been a good bike but Im like you, don't like working on this. Its been alright but I don't like the 4 WD system, too light for trail riding in the mud but other than that its ok. The Rincon has given me some issues. First the water pump went out then the idle controler (wrong name) went out during a ride. Last ride out lost the steering arm knucked, I may have caused this with a presure washer. It popped off, remeber this is an 08 just now a year old and I don't ride that hard. Same ride notice a cv boot tear again probably caused by me and the presure washer, it was real muddy.
With all this said I prefer the Honda's even with the issues, several have had the same problems with the 08 but its a real nice bike. Polaris does not seal thier belt from water well. Wet belt means problems. I have a total of four bikes, as the kids move out, I hope I'll replace the Polaris with Honda. Too many friends have Honda and really like them, Their not the fastest but work real good for what we do as a family, trail ride with Texas mud. Hope this helps and I would get selectable 4 WD instead of full time 4WD with the Rancher.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Rubicon has a hydrostat transmission. They can have occasional problems with angle sensor, shift motor, connectors. Solid rear axle, liquid cooled, carb. They are excellent at heavy plowing, dragging, towing. They also do pretty well in technical stuff. If I recall correctly, the 01 would be drum brakes, full time 4x4. Warn makes a 424 kit to allow earlier Rubicons to be shifted into 2wd. The transmission can operate in full auto mode, or it can emulate a geared transmission by letting you select between 5 preset ratios with push to shift buttons.

In regard to the Rancher, they are generally solid and reliable, but in that era I think I'd suggest getting a foot shift unless you really want the shift buttons. The ES can act up, especially if in deep mud often. Hitting all the electrical connectors with some diaelectric grease goes a long way in preventing little issues.

If I were looking for a Rancher, if there's any way your budget can swing it, I'd highly recommend bumping up to the 420. It is a TOTALLY different machine, really snappy motor, physically smaller and lower than Honda's other 4x4's, but it is very agile with excellent handling.

I also very much like the 05 and up 500 Foreman. It's stone axe simple air cooled auto clutch 5 speed.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum, and let us know what you choose.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:06 PM
Range Rover

Rancher 420, water gets in diff, ES stops shifting, and that's about it. Go with foot shift. I have worked on my friend's Can-Am Outlander 400 so many times!!! I know what your saying man.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow..... Thanks a lot everyone!! I had no idea i would get so many replies so fast. I always had Honda dirt bikes and loved them, so I hoped their ATV's would be the same! From what I have read it looks like they pretty much are. I am one of those riders that will put it through a little hell so I am definitely going to put a Honda to the test!!! I have to sell the Polaris in order to make my funds work but I will let you all know what I get. Thanks again!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 02:08 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2006 Rancher you mentioned will be the older Rancher 350. It is still a great machine (but the newer 420 is improved in many ways). My 350 is an 00, and after nearly 10 years and thousands of mile, it runs as good as the day it was new!

The standard Rancher 420 is the best thing that Honda makes (water cooled/fuel injected), and the best value for your $$$ of any quad on the planet! If you need IRS and/or an automatic, then the Rancher 420AT!

The Foreman 500 (or older 450) is a good choice if what you need is pretty much just a pure work quad. The Rubicon and Rincon, have transmissions that are needlessly complex.....

Note: The ES pushbutton shifting option on the standard Rancher, is prone to problems. Pass it up if possible, and just sift with your foot......

Old 02-27-2009, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

I have 2 rubicons they are a great machine. One is an '03 and the other is an '06. 01-04 are all the same. Like jeffintd said they are full time 4x4. 05 was the first year of the 2wd/4wd. I love the hondamatics and will provide you with years of trouble free service if properly maintained. The rubi will do anything you want it to do. The brakes are weak they have improved this on 07+ models. Whether you should get into a new 420 with the IRS depends on if just for pleasure on work. All B.S. aside the rubi will beat you up on the trail. Also the rubi costs alot for maintenace it takes 6.3 qts on oil your changing the tranny at the same time. Oil change interval is 500 miles or 50 hours which ever occurs first. The information center has an oil change indicator built in. The rubi has a primer of the carb that you will have to use if the temp is below 20 F. If your battery has enough juice it will start down to -37 F. You have to baby sit them while warming up till you get them warm enough to idle unassisted. The perfect rubi, IMO, would have Independent rear suspension, EFI, power steering, And all of the stuff it al ready has. If Honda would have built this I would have bought it instead of my new polaris because of my current rubi's being trouble free reputation. When will Honda listen to what we WANT?

Old 02-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The Rubicon and Rincon, have transmissions that are needlessly complex..... </end quote></div>

If that's the case, then nobody should ever buy the double clutch Rancher AT.

The Rincon is only a 3 speed, not much different than a 1970's car auto, except simpler because shift points are computer controlled.

The hydrostat in the Rubicon isn't rocket science, either. It isn't much more than an oil pump who's stroke varies by moving a swash plate.

About the only way I see they could build simpler automatics would be with a CVT rubber belt, and I'm glad at least one make gives us a choice.

Just MHO.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JeffinTD

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The Rubicon and Rincon, have transmissions that are needlessly complex..... </end quote></div>

If that's the case, then nobody should ever buy the double clutch Rancher AT.

The Rincon is only a 3 speed, not much different than a 1970's car auto, except simpler because shift points are computer controlled.

The hydrostat in the Rubicon isn't rocket science, either. It isn't much more than an oil pump who's stroke varies by moving a swash plate.

About the only way I see they could build simpler automatics would be with a CVT rubber belt, and I'm glad at least one make gives us a choice.

Just MHO.</end quote></div>

See this post:

http://forums.atvconnection.co...tid/8/threadid/561467

Automatic transmissions are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist....ie shifting with your foot!

Most Americans have not grown up with manual trannies in their cars, so they have not the first clue what a manual even is. Market research indicates that this is what the public requires, so of course that is what the manufacturer's give them (they are in the business of making money, after all!). Honda just came up with a very complex solution......

We are even seeing a lot more posts, where folks now want automatics on their sport quads. Pretty sad! Funny how shifting with your foot and using a clutch, don't seem to be issues with dirt bike marketing! It just all comes down to attitide....

Quick Reply: Switching from polaris to honda; PLEASE HELP!