Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

06 Rancher 400AT vs 06 500 Rubicon

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well when I get my Rancher gets sold it's probably gonna come down to whatever I can get the best bang for my buck. I do use my 4 wheeler a good bit at my hunting land for odds and ends but nothing that I could really classify as actually work to sway me more to the foreman. So I'm just gonna keep my eyes and ears open. Thanks for all the advice. I greatly appreciate it

Old 04-17-2009, 01:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by LocalFireMedic
So what is the differences between the foreman and the foreman rubicon?
The Foreman is an air/oil cooled 2 valve engine, solid rear axle, with a 5 speed gear on gear transmission, with an automatic clutch. They can be had in 2wd foot shift, 4x4 foot shift, and 4x4 with electric shift buttons. Power steering is also an option. The ES (electric shift) system has been known to sometimes have problems, but the newer ones seem to be better. Myself, I prefer to foot shift anyway. With a background in motorcycles, it comes naturally, and I think it's part of the fun of riding.

The Rubicon is liquid cooled 4 valve engine, solid rear axle, with a continually variable hydrostatic drive, with a low and high range. It moves a swash plate to effectively change ratios. It can also emulate a 5 speed by allowing you to put it in a mode that allows the rider to "shift" between 5 preset ratios with up and down buttons.

Chassis/suspension and seat of the pants power is pretty similar between the two.

The Foreman is stone-axe simple. The Rubicon is a bit faster between forward and reverse, and it can also change gear ratios with no dip in power delivery, which can be an advantage when plowing.

The Rubicon also holds a ton of oil (like 5+ quarts) due to the hydrostatic transmission.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello, I have a 07 Rancher ES, I also was concerned about the problem with the electric shifts, I have abused of the changes with no problems so far, I just would like them to be faster. I get impressed with the big ATVs, and the foreman looks fantastic and big enough for me, but I am a trial guy, so I'll keep my agile 420, and some times bigger does not mean better. YouTube - DAVID vs. GOLIATH (420 Rancher takes on 800 Can-am)

I am not sure about change it for a foot shifts Rancher, I guess I am just comfortable with ES and a bit afraid of foot changes, though I think it is just a matter of getting used to it. However, regardless of the option you choose, you will have a very good ATV.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by alebalderas
Hello, I have a 07 Rancher ES, I also was concerned about the problem with the electric shifts, I have abused of the changes with no problems so far, I just would like them to be faster. I get impressed with the big ATVs, and the foreman looks fantastic and big enough for me, but I am a trial guy, so I'll keep my agile 420, and some times bigger does not mean better. YouTube - DAVID vs. GOLIATH (420 Rancher takes on 800 Can-am)

I am not sure about change it for a foot shifts Rancher, I guess I am just comfortable with ES and a bit afraid of foot changes, though I think it is just a matter of getting used to it. However, regardless of the option you choose, you will have a very good ATV.
Well I wound up getting a great deal on a foot shift 07 Foreman 4x4. It only had 130mi & 40hrs on it and it is basically new off the showroom floor. The PO was very OCD and obviously never used it, just sat in his garage. But I bought the 06 Rancher for $3500, sold it for $3800 a few weeks later, and bought this new 07 Foreman for $4000. I guess I got lucky Here's a pic

Old 05-06-2009, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on your new Honda.

2001 Rubicon, zero transmission issues.

Our next ATV will be another Rubicon, a GScape with power steering.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

lol. Love my new foreman but had to take it into the shop after I got it because it was throwing code 13 (throttle position sensor) and thought it might have been the recall I heard about but my local shop said my Foreman wasn't in the recall and that it needs a new throttle position sensor. he said the sensor itself was $91. Didn't really think my fourwheeler being carburated and manual shift would really have many sensors but evidently it still does. I just don't see how this Foreman messed up a sensor. It's never even seen dirt i don't think. Oh well, hopefully the sensor won't go out again.

What exactly does the throttle position sensor control? I mean the ATV runs great and didn't even notice the error code til my buddy saw it. As far as throttle position I just thought it had a cable running to the carb

Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LocalFireMedic
What exactly does the throttle position sensor control? I mean the ATV runs great and didn't even notice the error code til my buddy saw it. As far as throttle position I just thought it had a cable running to the carb

It provides in-put to the computer for timing contol.

The computer needs these inputs to calculate engine load. The computer needs to know the angle of the throttle plate, gear, rpm and speed so it can adjust the timing for the given condition.

Nice looking Foreman.