Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Won't do warranty work

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't do warranty work

My brother has has an 08 Rincon with issues that is still under warranty for 2 more months. Honda won't touch the machine.

The issue: It is something in the transmission grinding when you apply the brakes aggressively. It does not make the noise in neutral (He got going slipped it into neutral and applied the brakes, no noise). That is why we think it is the tranny and not the brakes.

Dealer: Two dealers have heard the noise and have asked the Honda rep in the area to come look at it. The Honda rep rode it and said it "back lash". Funny thing is that my Rincon does not do that. So that is horse @#$#. Since the rep has declared nothing to be wrong with no one will touch it. Not even other dealers in the area, he tried. He called corporate and they said they are sticking with the Honda rep in the area's decision.

I live in a different state, is it worth me to try and bring it to my local dealer or will they run the vin number and see that there has already been a decision made on the machine. He is really frustrated and doesn't know what to do. Any help with this would be great.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The computer system is probably nation wide.

Mine will make a kind of clackity noise when braking over bumps where the rear wheels aren't always in contact, but I think that is drive lash and the rear tires locking and unlocking.

I'd look closely at the brake rotor, and it's floating buttons, and also at the CV joints on the rear axle.

I still think it is something in the drivetrain, since a transmission noise should be there regardless if you are braking. Maybe having torque on the driveshaft/axles from the transmission is what makes the difference?