Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2007+ 300EX, will I be bored?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007+ 300EX, will I be bored?

Hello,

I have been in the market for a 2nd ATV, and still on the fence on what I would like to have.

Currently I have a '07 Rancher AT, and am happy with it, not the fastest or most powerful, but fun on the trails, and easy to throw around.

For a second bike, I don't think 4x4 is necessary as when both have to go, my Wife will be piloting the auto rancher, and does not like mud or water passing the floor boards (she is a "fair weather" rider). This being said, if I got a 2nd 4x4 (ie 500FM or 420FM) the ‘07 Rancher would not get used very often as she rides 2-3 times a year.

I was looking at a 300EX, I miss sports quads, but I am worried about it being a little under powered for my experience.

I have owned a Warrior, Blaster (modded), 2 x LT250R's and a few ATC's (one powered by a RZ350!!).

The reason for the 300EX is it is under the insurance radar, as was my last LT250R. Insurance is $200/year, where a 400EX (and other faster sports quads) are $1200/year.

The issue with the LT250R is when riding with my Wife, it is to slow for a 2-stroke to "put" in the woods at 5 MPH, and I had to carry spare spark plugs. Plus it took a lot of clutch abuse to ride the tight trails. From what I have red, the 300EX is very happy doing "puttering" and tight trails, and still able to get out and go "fast" in the open space.

Any input would be great.

Also, I am 6'2", and ~200 lbs.

Thanks Chad

Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer

I would get a 400ex because they are bigger and have more power. If insurance costs are a real problem then you can get an older used 400ex and not get insurance. if you do get an older 400ex remember that the models older than 2005 did not have reverse. I have an 07 400ex and it handles great on tight trails. I was going to get a 300ex before that, and when i went an looked at them, I noticed that they were really small.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chadly-g
Hello,

I have been in the market for a 2nd ATV, and still on the fence on what I would like to have.

Currently I have a '07 Rancher AT, and am happy with it, not the fastest or most powerful, but fun on the trails, and easy to throw around.

For a second bike, I don't think 4x4 is necessary as when both have to go, my Wife will be piloting the auto rancher, and does not like mud or water passing the floor boards (she is a "fair weather" rider). This being said, if I got a 2nd 4x4 (ie 500FM or 420FM) the ‘07 Rancher would not get used very often as she rides 2-3 times a year.

I was looking at a 300EX, I miss sports quads, but I am worried about it being a little under powered for my experience.

I have owned a Warrior, Blaster (modded), 2 x LT250R's and a few ATC's (one powered by a RZ350!!).

The reason for the 300EX is it is under the insurance radar, as was my last LT250R. Insurance is $200/year, where a 400EX (and other faster sports quads) are $1200/year.

The issue with the LT250R is when riding with my Wife, it is to slow for a 2-stroke to "put" in the woods at 5 MPH, and I had to carry spare spark plugs. Plus it took a lot of clutch abuse to ride the tight trails. From what I have red, the 300EX is very happy doing "puttering" and tight trails, and still able to get out and go "fast" in the open space.

Any input would be great.

Thanks Chad
You should switch insurance companies because I insure a z400 and a Raptor 350 for a heck of a lot less than $1200 a year. I'd have to look to be certain but I think its like $450 a year for both machines. So I don't know why a 400ex would be more than a z400.

As far as getting a 300ex, I think at 200lbs you will be looking for more power. Especially with your riding history. If you were totally new to sport riding I'd say maybe, but a 300ex is really kind of small for a guy who is 6-2.

I would go with the 400ex for trails.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer

Not having insurance is not an option, I live in Ontario, Insurance and permits/plates are 100% required for public trails.

As for "shop around", done that, in Ontario, insurance is what it is.

Appreciate the input, as for the size,, I thought they were a little more like Blaster size, which I know Blasters are small, but I never felt they were uncomfortable.

I guess I need to test drive one, and start shopping around for another option.

Chad

Old 12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by chadly-g

Thanks Chad

Those insurance rates are criminal -- WTF? Kinda like health insur. in the US.

It seems with your size and frame you'd be more comfy on a 400ex. A kid in our neighborhood rides a 300ex, we own a 250ex and our Blaster is so much more fun! I think a 400ex would be higher on the fun scale as well.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The 300 is a superb little tight trail quad...maybe the best of all time! I truely wish I had kept mine, for the woods trails in my local mountains!!! Descent suspension, and it handles like a toy (not as toyish as a Blaster, however)! I am 5'7" and 200 pounds, and I never felt cramped on it. Use to bust out some big air on this little thing. Do get one of the newer models that have the revised system for getting into reverse!

Out in the open it will of course be kind of slow, but an FMF header and PowerCore 4 muffler (they come together as a full system), UNI foam air filter, an EHS Racing airbox lid with Outerwears (if you are sure it will survive the wet), and a rejet will perk it up quite a bit!

Old 12-09-2009, 05:18 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the input.

I know the 400EX is the right choice, but thanks to insurance, it is not a financial wise choice.

One question I have is how does the 300EX compare to the Warrior? I know the Warrior is low teck old suspension and this bike is a lot better in that department, my main areas for comparison are:

- size/fitment (how the rider sits on the two (or "in" in the case of the warrior).
- Does the Warrior seem bigger? Spec sheets show longer (+~5") and narrower (-1"), and a higher seat height (+1.5"), all these seem close (except the length), but it is always different to sit on/ride the bike.
- Power - Will the EX keep up, the Warrior probably has a few MPH on it because of the 6th gear, but how do they compare?

I need to go sit/ride one, only issue is the closest one is 60 mi away, opposite direction of work, so I have not had time.

I enjoyed my Warrior back 10 years ago, and My blaster as well, and just trying to compare the two as the EX was made to compete with the Warrior.

Thanks Chad

Old 12-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Red Rider

I owned a Warrior and the 300EX at the same time (and a Blaster). Avoid the Warrior and the new Raptor 350 like the plague! While the Warrior isn't particularly heavy on paper, it handles heavy. I found the ergos to be terrible (seat is way to low for the pegs) and I never could get the rear suspension quite right. Both my Warrior and EX had similar mods, and I would say the EX was a bit faster and way more comfortable. The Warrior has a larger cockpit, but still I never felt cramped on the EX.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Chad[/QUOTE]

If your a bigger dude (I am about the same height/give or take a few pounds lol) I don't think you're going to like the 300ex too much. Maybe consider a Raptor 350 if the 400ex is unaffordable insurance wise. In my opinion the Raptor 350 will out handle the 300ex all day, but once again thats just my take on it...

Old 12-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Red Rider

I had high hopes for the Raptor 350! Then a friend bought one and I rode it, and sadly it was nothing but a warmed over old tired Warrior! This thing has been obsolete for over a decade. Yamaha should have had the sense to dicontinue it back when and produce something more creative, that could actually compete with the 400EX and Z400's.

The other day, we had trouble with it becasue that ridiculous T-handle (reverse lever) wouldn't stay in place. Luckily, the rev limiter cuts in and that is your clue that something is wrong....

Quick Reply: 2007+ 300EX, will I be bored?